• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

rdmtt

Since I bought my machine I was in doubt if there was any problem with the engine, thermostatic valve, as it always rose in temperature. So I changed the thermostatic valve, washed the radiator, checked the radiator helix belt, nothing worked. So I put the device on and forced the machine for 2 continuous hours. The temperature stayed at 96 for a few minutes, then slowly rose to 102 and did not go beyond that temperature. Talking to a friend of mine, he has 2 Cat moto grader and a d6T, he almost disassembled his d6 engine with that same doubt about the temperature. So he hired 2 experienced caterpillar operators who explained to him what his working temperature was. The pointer works above the middle.
In tropical climate (Brazil), temperatures of 37-38 degrees with high humidity and low wind speed, in dense forests as I am using my machine. Air filter cleaning is almost every day, maybe the air filter was clogged to have gone up to 102. (The problem is not with the filter itself, but with the filter housing that clogs the air filter inlet.)

I'm just sharing my experience, but I still have a doubt. I couldn't identify at what temperature the thermostatic valve activates. Can anyone tell? I don't know if it fires at 96 degrees, or 102 degrees.
the white watch is my d5k, the green watch is my friend's motor grader.

Attachments

• WhatsApp Image 2021-11-10 at 14.52.54 (1).jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2021-11-10 at 14.52.54 (1).jpeg
    194.7 KB · Views: 12
  • WhatsApp Image 2021-11-10 at 14.52.54.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2021-11-10 at 14.52.54.jpeg
    170.7 KB · Views: 14
  • WhatsApp Image 2021-11-10 at 15.01.12 (2).jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2021-11-10 at 15.01.12 (2).jpeg
    113.1 KB · Views: 12

Coaldust

Occupation
Cargo Tanks, ULSD, RUG, Methanol, LPG
Not really sure what you are asking, but the thermostatic valve (regulator) often has the start to open temperature embossed on it somewhere. Sometimes, SiS has the temperature listed and/or the parts book. You could use an infrared thermometer and watch for the regulator to open.

If you are concerned about it running on the warm side, come join us on the 951C overheating thread as we work to solve that mystery.

https://www.heavyequipmentforums.com/threads/cat-951c-getting-hot.91909/page-2#post-1008019

Tropics you say? Maybe I should pack my bag and head down that way and fix it for you myself. Getting a little chilly here.