• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Digital Cameras

Countryboy

Occupation
Load Out Tech. / Heavy Equipment Operator / Locomo
Well here's the weather proof one I'm looking at on BestBuy.com.

$249 doesn't sound to bad for that. Whatcha think Lash?

I checked out that site Cat420. It only listed 13 cameras and about 8 of them were out of my budget. Did I miss something? :beatsme

Last edited:

Lashlander

I like that one. I'm not to sure what all weather means though. I'm sure its not water proof. Another thing is the pixels. My wifes is 5, the one at work is 3. They both take nice pics. I use then for screen savers and are clear enough. It takes a lot of storage and capacity to have a 7 megapixel. Maybe you can turn it down until you want a really nice pic. All in all I would consider it though. I think its a lot of camera for the price.
Have a good night!

PSDF350

Well here's the weather proof one I'm looking at on BestBuy.com.

$249 doesn't sound to bad for that. Whatcha think Lash?

I checked out that site Cat420. It only listed 13 cameras and about 8 of them were out of my budget. Did I miss something? :beatsme

Same body as mine. But mine is oppisite zoom. For best pic quility use as little digital zoom as possible. Because when you size them you will loose pic quility. But if you use optical zoom you wont loose as much.

PSDF350

I like that one. I'm not to sure what all weather means though. I'm sure its not water proof. Another thing is the pixels. My wifes is 5, the one at work is 3. They both take nice pics. I use then for screen savers and are clear enough. It takes a lot of storage and capacity to have a 7 megapixel. Maybe you can turn it down until you want a really nice pic. All in all I would consider it though. I think its a lot of camera for the price.
Have a good night!

What it means is that it is pouring out and camera is in shirt pocket with lens closed the weather wont affect camera. Dont need to worry about condensation when jumping out of truck in middle of snowstorm to take pic of loader/plow setup.

Cat420

Occupation
Construction, small engine and machine shop work
Countryboy said:
I checked out that site Cat420. It only listed 13 cameras and about 8 of them were out of my budget. Did I miss something?
I didn't really look at their camera section. They must specialize in computer stuff:beatsme . I recently bought a hard drive from Best Buy (gift cards) for $145, newegg had the same exact one for $95 with shipping. They have similar deals on memory cards, flash drives, and other stuff. Sorry they didn't have what you wanted.

Countryboy

Occupation
Same body as mine. But mine is oppisite zoom. For best pic quility use as little digital zoom as possible. Because when you size them you will loose pic quility. But if you use optical zoom you wont loose as much.

More optical zoom, less digital, gotcha....

What it means is that it is pouring out and camera is in shirt pocket with lens closed the weather wont affect camera. Dont need to worry about condensation when jumping out of truck in middle of snowstorm to take pic of loader/plow setup.

My bad fellers, this was the one I was looking at. Its sold out on the website but is still available in stores. Best Buy.com.

Rugged, shockproof (up to 5'), waterproof (up to 10') and dustproof design for shooting in a variety of situations.
Snap underwater shots as far as 10' deep with this durable digital camera that can stand up to the elements and even withstand drops from up to 5'.

I didn't really look at their camera section. They must specialize in computer stuff:beatsme . I recently bought a hard drive from Best Buy (gift cards) for $145, newegg had the same exact one for $95 with shipping. They have similar deals on memory cards, flash drives, and other stuff. Sorry they didn't have what you wanted.

It was still a help as I was able to compare a couple prices. :thumbsup

Last edited:

Lashlander

My bad fellers, this was the one I was looking at. Its sold out on the website but is still available in stores.

Thanks for the answer PSDF350. There just seems to be to much information for me to hang onto. That feature would be handy. It has been known to rain a little here. :cool2

Countryboy, I like that one too. However, if its in my shirt pocket and its 10 feet deep. I don't think thats going to be my biggest worry at the time. :eek:

Countryboy

Occupation
Countryboy, I like that one too. However, if its in my shirt pocket and its 10 feet deep. I don't think thats going to be my biggest worry at the time. :eek:

Good point, why would you be wearing a shirt if you were swimming? :D

I think that is the one I'm going to get. I need one of them heay duty ones as my dad always said, I could tear up a bowling ball with a toothpick. I never knew what it meant till I had to buy my own things. :rolleyes:

Jeff D.

I was given my Fuji Finepix camera and the cord to hook to the computer to download as a present, so I'm not sure if they normally come with this cord or not.

Should Countryboy be asking about this too when he get's his camera? A new camera won't be too impressive if the pic's can't be transferred.

Maybe they all come with that though.:beatsme

Countryboy

Occupation
I was given my Fuji Finepix camera and the cord to hook to the computer to download as a present, so I'm not sure if they normally come with this cord or not.

Should Countryboy be asking about this too when he get's his camera? A new camera won't be too impressive if the pic's can't be transferred.

Maybe they all come with that though.:beatsme

Thats a good question. :beatsme And if they don't then what cables do I need?

Since I myself don't have a computer, I wonder if the boss man will let me upload pics from his computer. :naughty

If not then I might have to go camera shopping and happen to find a good deal on a computer. I've always had an eye for them Dells.......:yup

Jeff D.

Thats a good question. :beatsme And if they don't then what cables do I need?
Mine just plugs into the camera and an open USB port on the computer. The first time I plugged it in it knew what to do, and the proper program popped up. I never had to download anything.:beatsme(had it not I'd still be trying to figure it out. :p )

Cat420

Occupation
I would think they should at least come with a USB transfer cable. Some will have fancy docks for tranfers and charging the battery, but they should all give you something.
Countryboy said:
I've always had an eye for them Dells
Dells are good if you don't need the fanciest stuff. Just watch for their sales. They run different specials pretty regularly, sometimes 20% off, if you're patient you could save a big chunk of the camera price on the computer purchase.

Lashlander

Every new camera I have seen has come with the cord to hook to a computer. Its a simple procedure. I don't think you will go wrong with that camera Countryboy. I just may have to buy one myself and give my wifes back to her.

Countryboy

Occupation
Mine just plugs into the camera and an open USB port on the computer. The first time I plugged it in it knew what to do, and the proper program popped up. I never had to download anything.:beatsme(had it not I'd still be trying to figure it out. :p )

I got some USB cables. I thought ya meant some special ones. I just hope it comes with directions......:D

I would think they should at least come with a USB transfer cable. Some will have fancy docks for tranfers and charging the battery, but they should all give you something.

Dells are good if you don't need the fanciest stuff. Just watch for their sales. They run different specials pretty regularly, sometimes 20% off, if you're patient you could save a big chunk of the camera price on the computer purchase.

What do you mean by if you don't need the fancy stuff?

I get a 30% discount through Dell from a Corporate Discount. I just call them and they send me a card to use at a store of my choice. Thats on top of any sales I can find at the time. Maybe I can talk them nice folks at Best Buy into a camera / computer deal.

Every new camera I have seen has come with the cord to hook to a computer. Its a simple procedure. I don't think you will go wrong with that camera Countryboy. I just may have to buy one myself and give my wifes back to her.

Is it like buying a car where you got to choose a bunch of options if you already know the model you want? :confused:

Cat420

Occupation
Countryboy said:
What do you mean by if you don't need the fancy stuff?
Sorry, when I think computer, my brain automatically thinks laptop. Most Dell laptops are pretty simple. Normal screen, cheap case, and just have a bargain feel. For web surfing, typing, pictures, and day to day tasks they will get the job done. They have some better ones, but they are expensive. I have a Sager (www.sagernotebook.com) check them out if you'd like to see the fancy stuff.

I haven't looked at their desktops much, because I love laptops so much that I won't buy one. Most entry level desktops have similar parts, so I don't see why Dell would be different. Since you can get a good discount, a Dell desktop would be a no brainer if you never do video editing or other processes that require a high end computer. We could fill a whole other post just on computer stuff. If you find any specific models, feel free to ask any questions. I spent 4 years of college with computer nerd roommates, so I learned a bunch of what is needed and what is a waste.

Last edited:

Countryboy

Occupation
Now on the computer, I want all the bells and whistles as I know how to use them. I'm no expert but I can find my way around them pretty good.

As Squizzy said though, I'm gonna start with something basic with the camera and maybe upgrade if I find I need something better.

This has been some great advice guys. It shall definately be taken into account in my purchase. :notworthy

Squizzy246B

Administrator
Occupation
Digger Driver
. Its sold out on the website but is still available in stores. Best Buy.com.

That camera has continuous shooting mode...this could be quite good.....:rolleyes: as the machine goes over just keep shooting:D

7.1 Mp is megaheaps for most. The cables are not standard USB...USB2 at the computer end and mini at the other for the camera....its actually firewire but that don't matter much.....as stated above, I haven't seen any of the newer digi cameras that didn't have the cable included.

Just a note on Kodak...I haven't looked at them for awhile but they used to be very non-generic....ie...they needed special cables, dock ports, software etc. I don't know wether that is still the case but it was a real pain on the older ones. The cable that came with SWMBO's Fuji fits my old Canon just fine.

CB...see your learning already...keep hunting them down online and looking up the info....its the way to go no matter where you buy from.

Countryboy

Occupation
Thanks Squizzy. Maybe after all this learning about buying them I can learn how to use them. :D

I was also thinking the continuous shoot mode would be a neat feature. And as far as Kodak goes I know nothing about them other than what you just said. I'll stick with what I've got on the list. :thumbsup

Countryboy

Occupation
:update

Well seems the local Best Buy is out of the one I listed above. The guy said "we just sold the last one yesterday" :cussing. That always seems to be the way it happens. :mad:

I am the first on the list though for the next one that comes in which should be March 26th. :thumbsup