• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Digital Cameras

Countryboy

Occupation
Load Out Tech. / Heavy Equipment Operator / Locomo
I have also set my camera at the 640x480. But with the program I use to resize (which is still necessary) does a great job of reducing even my 3264x2448 to fit and still look good online. I use www.xat.com it was a free download.

I've also got picture quality set to normal, which puts the pictures between 90-100 KB. With both of those settings I don't have to do any resizing. :cool:

I'll check out the link you gave me. If it's easy enough, I'll make copies of the pictures and just resize the copies. That way my originals can remain in the highest picture quality. Or is that not how you do it? :beatsme

All the resizing is confusing so I just try to skip that step all together. :D

PSDF350

I've also got picture quality set to normal, which puts the pictures between 90-100 KB. With both of those settings I don't have to do any resizing. :cool:

I'll check out the link you gave me. If it's easy enough, I'll make copies of the pictures and just resize the copies. That way my originals can remain in the highest picture quality. Or is that not how you do it? :beatsme

All the resizing is confusing so I just try to skip that step all together. :D

When I resize and when I save I just give differant name. Unless it is really just a pic I took for online. I do that because I am far to ignorant to figuire out all the funtion on my camera.

PSDF350

Countryboy just added a couple pics to timber prodution thread. What I had to do is compress images but they were taking 640x480. If they had been done at bigger/better quility I would of also had to resize then compress. When I have done that pic looks like a postage stamp in xat but when looked at elsewhere it comes out right.

Countryboy

Occupation
Load Out Tech. / Heavy Equipment Operator / Locomo
Countryboy just added a couple pics to timber prodution thread. What I had to do is compress images but they were taking 640x480. If they had been done at bigger/better quility I would of also had to resize then compress. When I have done that pic looks like a postage stamp in xat but when looked at elsewhere it comes out right.

Interesting, I might have to fiddle with that a little bit and see how it works for me.

Right now, with my current settings, I pull the memory card from the camera, insert card into card reader, insert reader into computer and pull pictures directly from the reader, which upload to the site no problem. The only issue I'm left with is that I have no super-high quality originals. What you're talking about will be a little more work but might leave me in a better position with the quality originals. The work computer won't let me see the site so I'll have to check it out later.

Thanks for the help. :drinkup

PSDF350

I plug into a port from computer to camera. Card never comes out really. I say try it you will like it. Been using it since I got online. Was turned onto it from forestryforum.com They have very limited space so pics are even smaller. They dont use vbulletine. Guess I should add the reason I down load the way I do for the life of me dont know why but my card don't fit in my printers card slots.

Last edited:

RamDodge

Occupation
Wheel loader operator
Shooting pics are great fun. I have been a Canon user since I was a kid, and for some strange reason I always walk out the store with a new Canon every time. I used Canon EOS SLR for many years before I went digital. First with a Powershot D30, then a Powershot SD700IS. But I missed my old SLR so I finally took the step ut to Canon D400 (XTi in the states) So now I can use my old lenses and will look into some new glass here shortly. I want some really wide angel, but they are pricey (about $600 for just the lens) I still use my SD700 though it's vey compact and very easy to just put in the pocket. I also have a decent camera on my Sony Ericcson cellphone I use quit often.

I highly recomend taking photos in the highest possible reolution that the camera can manage, and then reduse size to upload on the forum. The picture quality are much better that way, but avoid digital zoom, thats just useless. I use a program called IRFanView for resizing, it's small, easy to use and you can do bulk resizing, and the best. It's free :) Check it out here http://www.irfanview.com/

I also use a memory card reader for easy and fast upload to my computer. I don't those fancy programs that put images in strange locations. I just drag and drop in windows where I want them. To be a little safer I have a seperate physical HD in my computer where I save all my pictures, that way they won't be damaged if Windows takes a crap

Last edited:

PSDF350

I highly recomend taking photos in the highest possible reolution that the camera can manage, and then reduse size to upload on the forum. The picture quality are much better that way, but avoid digital zoom, thats just useless. I use a program called IRFanView for resizing, it's small, easy to use and you can do bulk resizing, and the best. It's free Check it out here http://www.irfanview.com/

I also use a memory card reader for easy and fast upload to my computer. I don't those fancy programs that put images in strange locations. I just drag and drop in windows where I want them. To be a little safer I have a seperate physical HD in my computer where I save all my pictures, that way they won't be damaged if Windows takes a crap
I agee about the digital zoom. xat also does the bulk resizing (just an fyi). Never used it though (don't know why). As for card or the way I upload. My pics go exactly were I want them in my pictures. In a folder of there own. I can upload as many or as few as I want.