• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Do we have any A/C experts here?

jughead

Occupation
retired
thank u willie i put it next to the evaporator. PROBIKE i have read and re-read super heat stuff and i still dont understand it. i am not a pro though just self taught old country boy. didnt want to leave any different impression

PROBIKE101

basically you are measuring tempchange at the end of evaporator and suction inlet at the compressor to cold ,to much flood back of refridgerant,to warm compressor over heats an dies.use your gauges and convert presure of your refrigerant to temp
on blue gauge.hook temp probe to suction big line,on inlet of compressor and subtract both temps that will be super heat.
about 12 degrees to 22 degrees is a good super heat .on adjustable exspantion valves adjust valve ,on non adjustable
restrictors open orifice or lengthen or shorten cappilary tube or more or less charge,compressors are cooled by the return vapor
from the evap,this is the best way to diagnose any air conditioning system or refridgeration system,no super heat no charge
or bad compressor ,not enough suctionorn not enough discharge pressure,or lastly a restiction or partial restriction
which will show as no super heat and verylow suction on blue gauge and low discharge on red gauge due to a restriction.

FSERVICE

only adjust the expansion valve after u have MADE SURE it is charged correct & u have ruled out other causes. the expansion valve hardly ever goes bad, but gets blamed/changed to often as the problem, that is still there after it gets replaced!

rare ss

That's a neat trick jughead, I never thought of monitoring suction line temperature. I suppose you're referring to the suction line where it connects to compressor. I wonder if you could get the same results using a digital lazer temp gun, I suppose it would work as well.

its the best way to charge, if you use a temp probe on the outlet of the evap, charge the system with the fan speed on low you can get to a good charge when the your running about 4degreesC but the trick is to then open the cab window and put the fan speed on high and pop some more in to get the suction line down to the same temp, then pop in a safety charge to fill the dryer if its a coldish day (10-15% of total capacity) but keep and eye on the high side gauge when you bleed it in and stop if the needle starts to spike

you can charge a system without knowing the weight required, its about reading when the system is full and knowing when to stop

woodstock1

basically you are measuring tempchange at the end of evaporator and suction inlet at the compressor to cold ,to much flood back of refridgerant,to warm compressor over heats an dies.use your gauges and convert presure of your refrigerant to temp
on blue gauge.hook temp probe to suction big line,on inlet of compressor and subtract both temps that will be super heat.
about 12 degrees to 22 degrees is a good super heat .on adjustable exspantion valves adjust valve ,on non adjustable
restrictors open orifice or lengthen or shorten cappilary tube or more or less charge,compressors are cooled by the return vapor
from the evap,this is the best way to diagnose any air conditioning system or refridgeration system,no super heat no charge
or bad compressor ,not enough suctionorn not enough discharge pressure,or lastly a restiction or partial restriction
which will show as no super heat and verylow suction on blue gauge and low discharge on red gauge due to a restriction.

very well explained :thumbsup