• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Dw-21

Tvan

Occupation
Supervision now Days
I never get bored of thinking about the good times!
Started in New Mexico in 1962 working on the interstate jobs on 25 & 40, when I went to work was drawing $2.75 hr, I'm semi-retired out of 302, work as a G/Foreman for Granite, with bennys about $50.00 hr, been in Alaska since 1969, Have three younger brothers that started in there 20 and have retired out of 302, a nephew that is working in the trade my son worked his early career for me, since is the G/Foreman for the Anchorage street Maint Dept been there 15 years, My Daughter worked for me as a grade checker for 8 yrs until she decided to have a life, and not work the nomad life of const. But like you say it has been great fun to have worked side by side with my brothers there kids, and my kids, and things have changed. Tommy VanLandingham

Mudpile

Occupation
retired salesman
Good to work with family, they get to see what one does in a day's work. I don't remember much that could be done with stones lodging in the bowl's lower sheave block. If the operator was careful loading stoney material, and didn't allow it to get to high up in front of the bowl, but that sometimes meant a lighter load. Dropping the bowl a bit would throw the stones out, but often there was no opportunity to do that, until it had been raised, and the damage done.

More of a design problem were stones lodging between the apron and the bowl. Get a decent load of gravel and sometimes the apron jammed going down, letting 1/2 the load dribble out. Still the DW was a very efficient machine, lacking the complexity of its replacement.

Last edited:

lpnt65

Occupation
Retired
Enjoy reminiscing the 'glory days' - not many operators left now with 'DW' experience. What was the go with turning with the tail gate forward on the 21's - I'm guessing something to do with rope tension. I don't remember it being a problem on the 15's. Also I'm not familiar with the term 'two block'.
If you had apron fully open and tail gate fully forwar.d and turned you often broke the tailgate rope you had to start releasing tail gate as soon as the bowl was empty If you were going to turn

Last edited:

Tvan

Occupation
Supervision now Days
I don't remember it ever being a problem, I guess it was just automatic when you dumped the last of your dirt , down came the apron, and back goes the ejector, My only thought the cable was a few wraps to short?