• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Ed's 77 Terex 72-41

mountainguyed67

This is about ready to use. We put the one cylinder back together up there, and installed the other one. Then we put on the hoses. Still need to grease the pins, and look at clamping the hoses in place. I remember there being clamps, I’ll look at pictures.

BD406E2C-65CC-4552-9F35-A79809664EC1.jpeg 9D706A82-4A07-405C-92F1-31098A6B2DC0.jpeg 0D4D6595-0824-4811-BBA3-BD78D2B873E5.jpeg 66A1801B-5480-40D8-A07C-2289A9450C67.jpeg

mountainguyed67

All this time I thought the air horn had a line leak near the horn, last time I had someone step on the horn button while I was at the air horn. There’s air coming out of the horn where it’s supposed to, just greatly reduced I guess. Maybe just clean it?

kshansen

Occupation
Retired Mechanic in Stone Quarry
All this time I thought the air horn had a line leak near the horn, last time I had someone step on the horn button while I was at the air horn. There’s air coming out of the horn where it’s supposed to, just greatly reduced I guess. Maybe just clean it?
Some time you can get lucky and if the back of the horn is held on with a bunch of screws you can disassemble and clean it and get it to work.

Also check to see if there is a screw in that back cover, sometimes covered with a sticker, if there is one try turning it one way or another while supplying air to the horn. I have had some luck in getting one working that was not used for a long time doing that.

oarwhat

Sometimes a couple raps wake it up. Or use a tube and blow compressed air all the way down the trumpet. It blows out bug nests. I've never gotten one to work after taking it apart.

kshansen

Occupation
Retired Mechanic in Stone Quarry
Not sure if they are still available but Cat used to sell kits to rebuild horns:

THE FOLLOWING REPAIR
KIT IS AVAILABLE:
2G-6664
Kit-Diaphragm(Air Horn) (Horn)
(EACH INCLUDES DIAPHRAGM,
SEAL, DECAL, SCREWS,

mountainguyed67

Not sure if they are still available but Cat used to sell kits to rebuild horns:

THE FOLLOWING REPAIR
KIT IS AVAILABLE:
2G-6664
Kit-Diaphragm(Air Horn) (Horn)
(EACH INCLUDES DIAPHRAGM,
SEAL, DECAL, SCREWS,

I doubt it’s a Cat horn, it looks original. I can look for manufacturer information when I take it off.

mountainguyed67

We found and fixed leaks, one on a quarter inch tube attached to the transmission, the other was the hose attached to the bottom of the steering tank. I plugged where the tube fitting was with a grease zerk, then brought ferrule and fixed it the next time up. The steering tank hose was just a little loose, tightening it stopped the leak.

mountainguyed67

I tried to clear one of the pivot (articulation) pin grease zerk holes, grease won’t go through it. The one that’s clear puts grease on the bottom of the three plates that contact the pin, I’m assuming the other goes to the top. I pushed something up there until it hit metal, it wasn’t clogged. I guess the cross hole is clogged. Do I want to remove a pivot pin, or is that a nightmare? Sounds like it needs to be cleaned. I can slowly force grease in, then it comes out of the zerk after I release the grease gun hose.

Rustyfender

Occupation
Equipment operator
Do you think grease applied more often until it clears ( I am thinking 15 min then increase grease timing as it frees up? Also use good grease zerks that will hold pressure.

Welder Dave

Try greasing it with the machine turned in different positions with the machine turned off or with a safety bar or something so you can't get squished. Maybe some oil in the grease gun would help but if some grease is going in it should work in to grease the pin.