• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Ed's 77 Terex 72-41

mountainguyed67

Rear brakes won’t bleed, fluid is barely spitting out of the master cylinder. I plan on bringing it home to be rebuilt at the end of this trip.

Finally decided to see why the front brakes quit working a few years ago. Lifted the wheels off the ground and they wouldn’t spin, two of us could barely move them. Started checking the adjustment, and it felt like it was too tight already. Backed them off and then they freewheeled. Doh! My now deceased friend adjusted them, and I remember doing what the book said to do. So I try bleeding, and fluid shoots out good, no air. Now I’m thinking the shoes and pads are glazed over and they won’t grab. That means pulling the front wheels off again.

Welder Dave

Do you ever get used to the screamin' Jimmy? Glad I found a grader with a Cummins. Don't need ear muffs as it's amazingly quiet.

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
Ear Plugs, along with Headphones and the Scream turns to a Buzzing, still end up deaf over a few years or tinnitus as bad as mine where ringing blocks out Over alarm, dryer alarm, clock alarm.

mountainguyed67

The tilt cylinder I resealed in the spring was leaking bad again. My son and I went up yesterday and got it. I already got it back together with a new gland and different type seal. It had v packing, I put in a u pack (I think that’s what he called it). I eliminated the end play by putting a convex/flat v pack against the v machined into the end of the bushing. it worked perfect. Hopefully that does the trick. I’m tired of dealing with it.

mountainguyed67

Then we unpinned the bucket and went to the grapple. We don’t have pins compatible with the grapple, so we thought we’d just cycle the clamp cylinders. Then refill the tank. The diverter valve didn’t work though, I checked the wires on the valve itself and they looked undisturbed. I pulled the seat to check the controller’s connection to power, in doing that I disconnected the hot wire and it grounded out. Oops! Then when I went to move the loader back to the bucket, there was no drive. Nothing. Is there an electric component to it that might have been damaged when the wire grounded? I don’t know what else could have happened, coincidence doesn’t seem likely. It was working fine.

Welder Dave

I wouldn't think an older loader like that would have electrics on the trans. but maybe it has forward/reverse solenoids or something. Is there a fuse panel you could check?

mountainguyed67

What material do I need for pins to hold the grapple on the loader? They’re 1.75” diameter. Two need to be 7” long, and two at 9” long. They’ll need a tab with a hole welded on one end, and grease channel/zerk holes.

mountainguyed67

A buddy is offering me these used pins, he has the same quantity I need. They’re 45mm, I need 1.750”. So these are 20 thousandths bigger .020”. He said use a metric hammer to install them into the standard bushings, lol. I can probably open the bushings up some. They’re 1 inch longer than the longer ones, and three inches longer than the shorter ones. Doesn’t sound like a problem.

55FDB73E-7360-4D11-8C3A-595C9682B423.jpeg 9D5FE2E7-D5DF-4CB6-BC1C-13E872A433DA.jpeg