• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Edukate me......

Burnout

Occupation
Operator at Sureway Construction
Well guys the season is almost done and my 450 is in the shop so.... I'm a scraper operator for the next week or two. I was wondering if you guys can give me some tips to running one of these menacing machines. So far I have about an hour or two experience in them... my first was a 657E, and now I am learning a 627E.

So as the post says Edukate me.... Videos will follow naturally later in the week and it's gonna be a shooting gallery for you buggy skinners makin fun of me. But I am a hoe operator so I have an excuse.

Deere9670

Occupation
Farm equipment operator
hahah nice, ill expect some pics and videos! Just keep the pedal to the metal and never hit the breaks! Might wanna get used to having a soar neck too!

surfer-joe

Dead right on the sore neck for a few days. All that looking back strains the neck pretty good till your muscles adjust. Keep the can low, keep the apron closed on the trip back, set the ejector to the rear travel position for the trip back. Keep a firm hand on the thirty ton brake and a firm grip on the steering wheel. I like to run both feet on double throttles, some don't. First off though, take a little time to properly adjust the seat for your weight, makes all the difference in a wallow when the big pan luffs in loaded and that hitch tries to launch you to the moon through the roof. Take it easy coming out of the cut and set up right before going into the cut or the fill. Once your in and the pushcat smacks you in the butt it's too late, or you are going off over the side in the fill. Be prepared. Don't turn sharply up a side hill with an overhung scraper. Spoils your personal smell the rest of the shift. Watch your tires closely for low air, rim damage, and bad cuts or bruises. Excessive wear of course. Don't turn to sharp in front of the Cat, keep back tires out of his blade. Don't hump and bump in front of the push cat, if he can't catch up, stop. Don't do the same in a push pull either. Mostly, have fun, it's about as much as you can have with your clothes on.

Gavin84w

If in doubt, right arm out!!!!

Yes if good haul roads present themselves and the watercart op is not to handy you will slip and slide and it takes a long time for the bowl to go down and assist with an errant machine so keep it low.

When 4yr s/no 651E came to this country we had a number of engine overspeeds due to no longer having the trans hold pedal but a switch on the dash and the operators took a bit to get used to it so maybe keep that in mind for the 57.

Another good idea is if there is a good scoop operator in the spread go and watch him for a bit and try and understand why he does what he does and if you cant, just ask him.

RollOver Pete

Occupation
Operating Engineer/mechanic
Are you running single or push pull?

Communication is the key.
Its a good idea to get together with the push cat operator before hand to find out how and what he wants you to do.
Remember, if there is a push cat in the cut, it's his cut and he'll run it his way.
Knowing how he expects you to come into "his" cut will make everyone's life much easier.
Either way, be consistent.
It helps the push cat pick you up without you getting banged around too much.

If you are running push pulls, never leave your partner behind.
Good push pull hands will be able to run together as if there were a 50' rope tied between the two machines.
The lead machine decides where you both go. The rear machine is there to PUSH.

Always adjust your seat, fasten your belt, be careful when turning uphill and try not to turn the tractor if your foot is on the diff lock.
Doing so really pisses mechanics off.

But most importantly, wear your seat belt and make sure your seat and hitch are good.
If they aren't, let someone know then park it.
Trust me, given the choice between being broke or having a serious back injury, I'll choose to be broke every time.

There's two kind of scraper operators.
Those with bad backs (me) and the rest who will eventually end up with bad backs.

:cool:

stumpjumper83

Occupation
Movin dirt
Well first off, have fun. Otherwise when turning, back off the rear engine. Its better to let the front motor pull you thru than to be pushed over by the back one. Also when your on a pile keep your drivers side to the outside so you can see where your tire is. Otherwise you will inevidably get too close to the edge and slide off... Sometimes on hauls roads if your standing on both engines the machine can start to bounce, whats happening is that the front and rear tires are at different speeds, so flutter one pedal and it will go away. Or at least thats how the terex ts-14's would handle. But they had detroits and the front engine controlled the air for the shifter, and the hydraulics so you always had to have your foot in it, or almost. Bet you cant wait to get your hoe back.

Construct'O

Occupation
Dozerwork,tiling plus many more!!!!!!!
If using pushcat to load most the time they work the cut back and fore side to side.So if he is working across to the left and you come into the cut and he is pushing scraper, set in to his left like he is working the cut.

Not where you have already been cutting unless your as far left as your working then he might want to start back across.Sometime he might start back over on the side started .That way keeps scrapers coming on on the side where he wants too cut.:beatsme

I usually liked to split where last scraprer cut because it will leave the cut smooth and easy to ride over,but again depend on the company you work for and how they want things done.Hog dirt or smooth cut without potholes that won't be holding water??????

Smooth cuts that drains make for better working conditon if rains move in.plus quicker back to work time.

When loading watch the corner bits if you can see them if not watch you center cutter might have to have the lip up wider to watch the dirt going in so you can tell how deep also you cutting.Only thing is it will try to dig deeper with the lip up ,so once you get set in, close the lip down some.The tighter the lip the less dirt will go in.Too tight the bowl will just ride along on the ground not cutting.If to deep raise or just close the lip tighter.

If loading sand you have to use different ways.Sand's hard to load.Have to have the lip up higher, then you will have to pump the bowl same especialy at the end ,close the lip quickly or you will lose a good deal of your load.

There lots more like said above.As far as cutting on the stockpiled like said cutting on side you can see, just be careful there also.If your going to slid off take you chances on the side you can't see.If the machine goes off that side at least if you have to jump, the machine is going away from you.Just what you wanted to hear.Just something to keep in mine.Good luck:usa

Buckethead

Occupation
Operator
I would not jump if you slide over an edge. Modern scrapers come standard with ROPS. Wear your seat belt.

Burnout

Occupation
Are you running single or push pull?

Communication is the key.
Its a good idea to get together with the push cat operator before hand to find out how and what he wants you to do.
Remember, if there is a push cat in the cut, it's his cut and he'll run it his way.
Knowing how he expects you to come into "his" cut will make everyone's life much easier.
Either way, be consistent.
It helps the push cat pick you up without you getting banged around too much.

If you are running push pulls, never leave your partner behind.
Good push pull hands will be able to run together as if there were a 50' rope tied between the two machines.
The lead machine decides where you both go. The rear machine is there to PUSH.

:cool:

Pushcat???? Your kidding right? This company is new to scrapers for the most part and the dozer operator I am getting is more interested in reading the paper than working all day helping out a couple scrapers. I talked to him the otherday... he refuses to push us through the cut so thats out. Which doesn't surprise me.

As far as who's in charge? It's ME. I have been left in charge of this site unless our crew's main foreman is onsite. I'd love to get the character running the dozer to start helping us out, but then I'll just end up pulling out the short hair I have left.

Push/Pull.... yeah thats another funny one. I have yet to see anyone in this company hook up and do it right. I have watched guys in the 627's struggle to get the bowl loaded and make 2 passes just to get a half full bowl because they don't wanna hook up to someone else. Add to that the other buggy operator is our grade girl who only has about 200hrs running a scraper and that was a 657E at Sureway and she had one of the few that only has a hook on the back.

I came from a company that made its name and reputation with Scrapers and using them to do real work. And now I am in a company that has 10 scrapers and not too many people know how to use them to their fullest. I have said that if we're not going to hook to eachother and do it right, we might as well save the money and go buy some 621's.

On the other hand if there are any qualified buggy skinners lookin for work.... we have some operators that could use some edukashun if you know what I mean.

One guy the other day quit because he doesn't like his 627E. It's in fairly good shape and only has 15 000hrs on it. I took him over to a Sureway job where they still make tons of money running 627B's. Heck they already have G's with 13 000hrs on them.

Mass-X

Couple rules I keep posted in the job office on my sites, and reiterate with all my scraper hands about once a month, or anytime we get a new guy.

1.) Do NOT pass on haul roads
2.) Do NOT pass on haul roads
3.) Do NOT spin tires
4.) Loaded scraper has right of way over all other machines on site. Unloaded scraper is second.
5.) Left-hand traffic for everyone on site at all times
6.) Keep your right hand on the can lever at all times
7.) Keep your apron closed on the haul road
8.) Make sure your apron is closed before leaving the cut (don’t be dribbling material on the haul road)
9.) Keep your can close to the ground
10.) Do not follow the scraper in front of you too close on haul roads/fill
11.) Split your tracks on the fill
12.) Go faster

Regarding the rule about passing on haul roads: On my sites, if the haul roads are wide, than each morning at the toolbox talk, the foreman will tell his scraper hands that they can pass the blade on the wide haul roads if they follow the right safety procedure: radio the blade hand that you’re about to pass passing on his left or right side. The operator will confirm with coordinating right/left hand signal, then pass. If he doesn’t wave: Do not pass

As when mentioned by Joe and Gavin; “IF IN DOUBT – CAN OUT”

Hand signals are important if you don’t have a radio, or it’s a big job and there’s no sense in getting on the radio and having to fight the chatty pipe trash to fit a word in edgewise. Thumbs down means for the other partner to pass you and load first. Arms held up so forearms cross, creating an X means to load singly (often used when you need to bring in the edges on a cut/stockpile or clean up your windrows to put your cut to bed at night). Opening your door signals to your partner that you are about to come to a stop. Lead scraper raising his right hand when entering the fill signals the rear scraper to start a new line of dumps, not hook onto the end of the lead scraper’s.

When turning, stay off that back throttle. Use that front engine to pull you through turns. You’ll learn by feel at what point of a turn you can get back on that rear throttle to start pushing yourself. As soon as you’re straight enough, hammer both throttles to the floor and go.

When running twins, the hook-up and unhooking is important. It should be smooth and seamless. No slamming, no hard engagements, no scraper dragging the other out of the cut for a hundred feet. Probably the most difficult part to get smooth is when the rear scraper should set in and begin cutting, and when the front should then shift up and grab gears. Caterpillar’s literature/trainers teach that as soon as the rear scraper’s bail clears the tail-hook to immediately turn to the left to signal the lead machine. I don’t like that for one very simple reason: when you’ve got green hands, the rear scraper cab turning increases the propensity for someone to speed up or slow down and put a stinger into a battery box, up under the cab, or just generally smash fenders and damage scrapers. I prefer to use hand signals because it keeps everyone in a straight line eliminating the propensity for damage to the machines. As soon as the lead scraper sees his hand signal (just a raised hand), he shifts to 8th and takes off. After a pair of operators gets good, they can do how they want, but while learning, I like to keep everyone in a straight line.

I’ve got four scraper hands who have been working for me for five years now, all running twins. When they hired on, I told them to learn using hand signals to signal load/unhook. To this day, two of them still use it, like second nature. The other two dropped it after about 4 months. All four are excellent hands, all running GPS equipped scrapers. So it’s a lot of personal preference for how you and your partner like to run. Make sure you communicate with your partner about how you’re going to run things. More than anything, you need to have a partner you like to work with.

In the cut, make sure that the rear scraper sets in and starts cutting right where the front scraper lifted out. If there’s a noticeable transition where each machine started cutting, you need to talk to your partner to work on improving the second scraper’s set-in. That transition should be seamless. Keep the cut as smooth as possible.

The smoother, more level the cut, the faster the cycle times and the bigger the loads the scrapers will get. Twin engine scrapers should work together to chain load the cut. The smaller the number of scrapers working the cut, the easier it is to properly execute this. Cut like a typewriter. If you’ve got a lot of twins diving in/out of one cut, just plan on having a blade/beegee spend a lot of time maintaining that cut. Even with excellent scraper hands running as leaders, and radios to communicate, a bunch of scrapers will still get their typewriter cut a little off after a while. Just make sure there’s some communication and all lead hands are on the same page as to how to actually run the cut.

Make sure the haul road blade hand knows that while the scrapers are running, it’s his job to make the cut, haul roads and fill as smooth as the Autobahn. He shouldn’t be off making love to the fill trying to become a finish hand. That’s what finish blade operators are for. He should be constantly blading everything the scrapers are running on so that their ride is smooth and comfortable. The more comfortable the scraper hands, the more loads they’ll haul. If the scrapers are getting to beat to hell on their haul roads, send the blade hand down the road. The smoother and nicer the roads are for the scrapers, the better the scraper hands you can keep around. It’s the good hands who can truly harness the scraper’s potential as the most versatile earthmoving machine that’s been built. So take care of them.

Go fast and have fun.

Turbo21835

Burnout, Im game for a 627E. The only problem is a place to stay and getting through the red tape and getting a work permit for your fine country

Burnout

Occupation
Turbo..... I imagine Alberta is lookin mighty fine to you right now with the impending doom coming upon the great state of Michigan. Where abouts in MI are you? I'm going to be down that way in about 2 weeks for the holidays. I'm staying in Ontario for about a month or so.

A lot of work is goin on out here. And talk has it that since oil is dropping construction is getting cheaper for all the oil companies out here. In the last week the Oil Field has exploded with work. I crossed a job the other day that had 8 brand new 345D's parked lookin all sexy like. And me driving by in a lame 160H grader. :beatsme

I know Sureway will be hiring scraper hands in the spring like crazy. They have a beautiful fleet of G's that would amaze almost anyone.

As for a place to stay... I have a real comfortable leather couch, but I mean.... I have a girlfriend so......... you know.

Turbo21835

Hmmm this is an interesting predicament........ Shotgun rules apply?

Biggest operator wins the couch, the other can sleep on the floor. At 6'4" and 300 and some change, i think I will have no problem spending time with the couch.

Do you guys really have a hard time finding good operators? I mean first you have a lady that beats the tar out of a 7. Now you have a dozer operator that is on a scraper job and wants nothing to do with pushing them? What if youre in rock, or slop, and cant self load. He just sit and watch then too? This time of you i would think an operator would be willing to do anything to keep working. Prime case was me today. I was mudding manholes and various other piddly tasks. Why, cause it needed to be done, and it keeps me from sitting at the house.

Interesting to see how other companies run their scraper spreads. Any scraper spread ive been on has been run a little different. Mostly because the companies were not big on push pull. Or our sites had limitations, such as "sugar sand" or short cuts. A lot of the time we also had a miss matched group or odd number of scrapers. Most of the time it was match up with who ever you can in the cut, pass them when ever or where ever you can. Go faster. You see the lead scraper man dragging a haul road, do the same. Basically, you are to copy what your lead is doing. Left hand traffic is the common rule, as is loaded machine has right of way.

Burnout, i would be interested, the only downside is the red tape it takes to get work papers for US citizens. I have a friend from Wa that has been trying to get his paperwork approved for him to go to work in Manitoba. As of next week, it will be 6 months. Hes an electrician, and I would think that would be in demand around the mines and oil industry.

Burnout

Occupation
Good operators are very hard to find out here. The demand is so high that anyone and their brother who's sat in even a skid steer is automatically hired on as an operator. As for our other cat operator not wanting to push buggies, its kind of a lose/lose for us. If we say hit the bricks he leaves and goes to the pipeline or the mines and doesn't come back to us.... or a company like Sureway will scoop him for more money.

I am one of the few operators that care about his job and his equipment. Today I went to the shop to clean out my 450, and had 4 guys pickin through my machine stealing my goodies.

The red tape is a pain in the butt, but with the price of oil going down the oil companies are starting to do more work because construction is getting cheap again. We have lots of scrapers out here. I cruised by Sureway's remote yard today and there were over 100 scrapers parked for the winter.

stumpjumper83

Occupation
Movin dirt
Do you know of any operators coming up from the states? Down here, work is slow and good operators are relatively easy to find. For instance does sureway or the new company you work for help out with work permits?

Buckethead

Occupation
Operator
It's been a long time since I worked around scrapers, but the contractors I ran or pushed them for would have chased that dozer man off before lunchtime.