• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Electric Drive Tractors!!!

Countryboy

Occupation
Load Out Tech. / Heavy Equipment Operator / Locomo
Welcome to Heavy Equipment Forums BearEU! :drinkup

RonG

Charter Member
Occupation
heavy equipment operator
The old D8Hs for sure had the hoses in the C frame,I think the K did too.I am too lazy to look at my old pics to say for sure.If you happen to blow a tilt hose that cavity would get loaded with oil and it was impossible to get it all out and you would see trails of oil from time to time after the repair thinking that some other hose might be leaking.Ron G

Deas Plant

Tilt hose routing

Hi, RonG.
Only the last of the D8H's had the tilt hoses running through the right push arm like the K series. All the earlier 46A series machines had the tilt hoses coming out through the radiator grille and looping down to the back of the blade. The D9G's were pretty much all set up like this too.

RonG

Charter Member
Occupation
heavy equipment operator
LOL.That was easier than looking through all my pics.Thanks Deas.Ron G

AtlasRob

Occupation
owner operator
Questions

Hi Countryboy,

are you familiar with haul trucks, mining truck, dump trucks?
Do you know how I could open up a thread concerning this topic?

Thanks, BearEU

Welcome aboard BearEU. Once you have made 3 ? ( think it was 5 but got reduced )posts you will be able to start a new thread of your own.
There is an awful lot of info on here in previous posts and also direct from members.
Not everybody gets here every day and it might take a while to get the answers you desire.
I suggest you have a poke about in the search option.
All the things you want info on are covered here in different catagories.

activeorpassive

Occupation
Electrical/Electronics Instructor for Big Yellow (
Note to self...

Hello, Dozer575.
It WAS peaceful around here. I sincerely doubt that anybody in Cat's Research or Design departments even momentarily considered the monotonous rantings that you try to pass of as wisdom, no matter what screen name you might choose to do it under. You are entitled to your opinions and I would defend your right to them but that does not give you the right to try to ram them down everybody else's throats.

Good, bad or indifferent, Cat Hi-sprocket tractors have a proven record of higher market penetration in the heavy end of the market, D8 and up, than any of their competitors. So are you maintaining that all these customers along with Cat's designers and engineers are completly clueless? I doubt that would win you many friends anywhere.

Cat have already explained that they now believe that the hi-sprocket system works best for the bigger tractors, again D8 and up, where they are using the bogie system for the bottom rollers and idlers and that they will be using oval track configuration for many of their smaller models in future. If you are so convinced that they are so wrong about the hi-sprocket system, why don't you stop plaguing the various 'net forums and send them your concerns direct?

And Please, post the response here.

And would you please post some photos of YOUR jobs.

Do NOT offend Deas...LOL. Good to be back on the forum and looking at all of the responses. I'm learning quite a bit here. :notworthy
I've been working on the electric drive OHT quite a bit lately, so I don't get to visit the Forum nearly as often as I would like.

elirock83

dhjmdls-that deer dozer you r describing is the new "high speed dozer" used for light grading etc. looks to me like a glorified grader but whatever.

A retired cat man told me that the high track has some good points in the bigger machines, but in stuff smaller than a 7 you are better off with a oval track, the additional fuel used does make it worth while. The electric idea is a winner for most in my h.o. You burn less fuel & can move more, as long as it holds up.

Deas Plant

Offend????????????????????????????????

Hi, Activeorpassive.
Welkum back. Offend?????????????? Me????????????????? I think you may have your wires crossed. LOL.

That particular gentleman has been such a dedicated and persistant PITA for so long on so many forums that there is no way I'm going to foster any chance of him being even faintly deluded into thinking that I'd welcome his reappearance.

As I said, it WAS peaceful - and it looks as if it might be again for at least a little while.

Catchyalater.

The hi-track question is simple, it just costs more and people are not buying Cat equipment just cuzz it says CAT on it anymore. we have to be competitive and the higher production cost of a small to midsize dozer with a hi-track design is starting to put us in a bad spot as far as market share. we have better grades of steel now days plus smaller dozers arnt typically going to be in the ultrahigh impact enviroments of the larger D8+ dozers. theres to many players now and Cat doesnt have a distinct advantage as far as quality and parts availability that will stop the bleeding from a $30k higher price tag than one of our competitors machines. I think most people prefer CAT except when they see the bottom line and then they are more willing to gamble with competitors machines. Im eager to test the new D7E, I cant wait to feel 100% Torque at idle lol. I leave the first of june for The proving grounds in Peoria for a fun filled 2 weeks of becoming more intimate with Cats latest breakthroughs. i will try and keep u guys informed.

walkerv

The hi-track question is simple, it just costs more and people are not buying Cat equipment just cuzz it says CAT on it anymore. we have to be competitive and the higher production cost of a small to midsize dozer with a hi-track design is starting to put us in a bad spot as far as market share. we have better grades of steel now days plus smaller dozers arnt typically going to be in the ultrahigh impact enviroments of the larger D8+ dozers. theres to many players now and Cat doesnt have a distinct advantage as far as quality and parts availability that will stop the bleeding from a $30k higher price tag than one of our competitors machines. I think most people prefer CAT except when they see the bottom line and then they are more willing to gamble with competitors machines. Im eager to test the new D7E, I cant wait to feel 100% Torque at idle lol. I leave the first of june for The proving grounds in Peoria for a fun filled 2 weeks of becoming more intimate with Cats latest breakthroughs. i will try and keep u guys informed.

So how did this thing work in dirt I know this is old post and threads , But I can say without a doubt that The D7E with trash package in a landfill is great on fuel compared to the D8R and D8T but no one likes it its got the power but the machine as a whole cant compete with a D8 in the trash the have a weight disadvantage and its very apparent when playing with it , The life expectency from the drive motors vs how much they cost does not seem so hot either lucky ours just got replaced under partial warranty to a new style redesigned motor whatever that means , so we should be ok for another 11k hrs or so hopefully . I would be curious as to how many people on here have to deal with a D7E and get there opinions on it im sure its great in some applications in ours it is not for the volumn of trash we get daily.

oldirt

it sure looks like a great idea to me.. I had not heard of any issues with the drive motors yet till you just mentioned it.

as far as comparing a 7 to an 8.. one will always be heavier than the other. if you need that weight you will end up with the heavier machine.

walkerv

yeah they have an updated drive motor for them now , not sure how long it is supposed to last but if we had been under 8000 hrs our failure would have been replaced for free, as it is it cost us 16k just for the drive motors if we had had anymore hrs on it it would have been payying the whole cost of the drive motors

oldirt

16K for one motor in 11K hours sounds like less than 2 bucks/hour budgeted for replacement?

walkerv

16K for one motor in 11K hours sounds like less than 2 bucks/hour budgeted for replacement?

well I guess the cost isnt as bad as I was told on these things .I looked up the cost of 2 stators and 2 rotors just those parts come up to 27k then add in the labor of removing the whole propulsion group and all the misc o-rings and parts and it is probaly about the same cost as doing a d8r tranny ... our particular unit had both motors replaced and was partially covered uner warranty , im not sure how much the warranty covered but it appears to have bean a signifigant amount .

Shimmy1

Not sure I would be ok with needing to replace such a substantial part at 11,000 hrs. In this day and age, I would hope these tractors could make 15,000+ hours, not?

walkerv

Not sure I would be ok with needing to replace such a substantial part at 11,000 hrs. In this day and age, I would hope these tractors could make 15,000+ hours, not?

these new updated motor's are supposed to have a 12,000 hr life so I was told, but I think a little research is in order , the originals went bad on mine at just over 8300 hrs , only one motor was fried but cat did both of them under the prorated warranty and update work

walkerv

Don't these tractors only have 1 motor and use diff steer?

D7E has 2 motors, now im not sure if they are combined power and then use some kind of differential steer or if one motor per track . I'm triing not to know alot about my unit unless its a pm or ac broke or a simple leak somewhere basically the bull work , so far everytime it quits moving a call to Cat has been required.

Last edited: