• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Electric Drive Tractors!!!

activeorpassive

Occupation
Electrical/Electronics Instructor for Big Yellow (
Rumors have been flying around, but now it's official. Caterpillar will offer an industry-first track-type tractor. This thing is AWESOME, and is another example of Caterpillar leading the construction equipment industry in technology and innovation.

Caterpillar Announces the First-of-Its-Kind Electric Drive
Track-Type Tractor

"PEORIA, IL— In a move that further positions it as the world’s leading manufacturer of earthmoving equipment, Caterpillar Inc. (NYSE: CAT) is unveiling the first innovative AC electric drive track-type tractor in the industry. The revolutionary electric drive system developed for track-type tractors gives the D7E an unmatched balance of power, efficiency, control and maneuverability. The machine will be showcased at CONEXPO/CON-AGG 2008 March 11-15 in Las Vegas, Nevada.
“The D7E offers a quantum leap in customer value through significant productivity increases and reduced owning and operating costs,” said Mark Pflederer, vice president of Caterpillar’s Heavy Construction & Mining Division. “This is another example of Caterpillar’s global technology leadership and commitment to sustainable innovation which is not only good for our customers economics, but the environment as well.”
From a performance standpoint, this new product demonstrates Caterpillar’s commitment to the industry with a machine that does more work and consumes less fuel and parts while providing customers with lower operating costs. Caterpillar plans to commercially introduce the D7E in select markets during 2009.
“From an environmental sustainability perspective, the D7E uses substantially less fuel per hour – dramatically reducing the amount of carbon dioxide emissions,” said Caterpillar Group President Stu Levenick. “This revolutionary design consumes fewer resources over its working life than any other track-type tractor in its class. All major components are engineered to be rebuilt or reused in the future.”
The D7E is in the 60,000-pound (27 000-kilogram) weight range and is powered by a Cat® C9 engine producing 235 horsepower (175 kilowatts). A traditional mechanical transmission is not needed, because the variable speed electric motors serve the function of a continuously variable transmission. The electric drive train has 60 percent fewer moving parts compared to previous D7s. The electric system also provides power to auxiliary components so that no engine belts are needed. The C9 engine, complete with ACERT® Technology, meets U.S. Tier 3 emissions standards, and the tractor has been designed with Tier 4 in mind. The new D7E has other innovative new features including an exclusive center-post cab, beltless engine and SystemOneTM undercarriage."

activeorpassive

Occupation
I'd love to...but they won't let me post anything until after ConExpo. I'm sure they'll have photos available after this coming Tuesday.

Geno795

I was going to post abouts Cat's new electric drive dozer and didnt see that someone beat me to it earlier today. Moderators please delete this thread. Thanks Geno

Last edited:

JDOFMEMI

Thats 3 times today it has made it to the forum.

This thing will create quite a stir.

I can't wait to try one out, see if its all its hyped to be

Geno795

There is a picture of one on pjstar.com which is a Peoria, IL newspaper. Looks like a regular old D7R from the distance. Geno

JDOFMEMI

I looked, but can't find anythig related to Cat, Caterpillar, or D-7 in the search function for the paper, do you have a link to it?

Northart

Electric Cat

Hello Dpull,

You know, studying all LeTourneau History , I never seen a Electric Track Dozer.

He had the Tournadozer, which is rubber tired.

This sure is an Electrifying idea ! :) Something totally new .:usa

Tigerotor77W

Occupation
Engineer
The single biggest secret of my internship at Cat is finally revealed!

Thanks for posting the link, activeorpassive... I was made aware that the tractor release was pending, and I'm thrilled. At last!

02Dmax

I'll take 6. How much you think they'll give me on trade in for some old FD 175's and 255's? LOL

Ross

Oh well time will tell !

If they build a D10-D11 sized electric tractor I am sure we will get it here first in the Valley.

Ross

alco

Hello Dpull,

You know, studying all LeTourneau History , I never seen a Electric Track Dozer.

He had the Tournadozer, which is rubber tired.

This sure is an Electrifying idea ! :) Something totally new .:usa

Ahhhhh, but it's not totally new! Charles Doerr built an electric dozer many , many years ago and it was used in a coal mine in Alberta owned by Mannix Coal I believe. I think it was called the Doerr Tractor, but I could be wrong. I wish I had pictures.

Brian

Attachments

• 241resized.jpg
    241resized.jpg
    65.8 KB · Views: 3,463
Last edited:

activeorpassive

Occupation
But it IS totally new...

in the sense that the Doerr above used traction motors, which are DC. The D7E uses AC induction motors, which will provide better reliability and reduced maintenance. The system works on the same principle as AC drive trucks, just on a smaller scale.
The tractor will be an elevated sprocket, with AC motors providing the input instead of a transmission. The tractor will still incorporate differential steer. The beltless engine is definitely different at first glance. It looks odd to see an engine without belts and pulleys on the front.

Northart

Beltless ?

Hello Activeorpassive,

So, there is no radiator ?? No fan, hub and pulley ?

How is it cooled ? Am I missing something ?