• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Electric Drive Tractors!!!

PETE379

Occupation
Manage and oversee daily operations, also process
Here is pic from yesterdays Peoria paper:

Attachments

• catd7e (Small).jpg
    catd7e (Small).jpg
    20.3 KB · Views: 2,982

Hjolli

The D7E

One of the first dozers I ever drove was a D7E from 1964. As I was only 19 back then the power shift D7 was a real adventure, a huge differce to the fifties type dozers I had tried previously.
This new D7E sounds very interesting, but I think the picture from the Peoria paper shows the current D7R, with waste disposal arrangement.

I enclose a pic of the old D7E I drove as it looked last year.
The other pic shows an identical dozer being rebuilt in a workshop in Iceland recently.

Attachments

• D7e.jpg
    D7e.jpg
    98.5 KB · Views: 2,987
  • D7e Miðfell-2.jpg
    D7e Miðfell-2.jpg
    98.1 KB · Views: 2,995

PETE379

Occupation
Manage and oversee daily operations, also process
I didnt think they would have a pic of it before conex either, thats the pic they had in the paper on Fri. Thats a nice project there!

637slayer

Occupation
scraper hand
in the sense that the Doerr above used traction motors, which are DC. The D7E uses AC induction motors, which will provide better reliability and reduced maintenance. The system works on the same principle as AC drive trucks, just on a smaller scale.
The tractor will be an elevated sprocket, with AC motors providing the input instead of a transmission. The tractor will still incorporate differential steer. The beltless engine is definitely different at first glance. It looks odd to see an engine without belts and pulleys on the front.

the 11r has no pullys in the front the fan is powered by hyd. there is a couple small pullys on the back 1 for a/c the other for alt.

Geno795

Thanks Truck608 for the link, I didnt put the picture because it looked like a D7R and I figured it wasnt correct. I forgot to mention that with my post. My guess is it will be low drive because that is what has been out at the proving grounds in Peoria. Looked real wide from the back like the motors take up a lot of room. Geno

CEwriter

Occupation
journalist
Saw the D7E in Las Vegas today

Well, they took us out to the Las Vegas Speedway and showed us this thing, walked us all around it, and NEVER LET US OPERATE IT! (Not that I'm one to complain.)

I shot some video, which you will soon find here- http://www.constructionequipment.com/index.asp?layout=videositeTOC

Technology is all Cat. The AC motors differ from RG's in that they are more medium-voltage levels. Voltage reduced from truck drive systems so that they do not require a certified electrician for service/repair. Product managers said that larger tractors with the technology are very likely, but they're still a bit removed from testing this tractor's commercial viability, aren't they?

They gave us pictures, too, and never mentioned any kind of embargo. So here goes. Note the oval-ness of the undercarriage. Single front lift cylinder. Single cab A pillar lined up with exhaust stack and lift cylinder.

D7E_lowres-1.jpg

D7E_lowres-2.jpg

D7E_lowres-3.jpg

I shot a couple myself, but they weren't great

D7 berm lr1.jpg

D7 front lr.jpg

Last edited:

activeorpassive

Occupation
Electrical/Electronics Instructor for Big Yellow (
D7E is a low drive, sat in a prototype in late 2007.. Nice forum...:usa

My bad...it's a low drive.

the 11r has no pullys in the front the fan is powered by hyd. there is a couple small pullys on the back 1 for a/c the other for alt.

Yeah, but have you seen an engine with no belts on it at all? No a/c, water pump, or alternator belt on this one--front or back. Pretty sweet.

Last edited:

Northart

Prototype

Wow ! I'd sure like to run one of them. Sounds real exciting, even to this old guy. Got the heart pumping blood again.LOL :):usa Just a drooling. LOL :)

alco

Well, I feel pretty safe to say we won't see these where I work. I can only imagine we'd short one out and fast.

Brian

637slayer

Occupation
scraper hand
no i cant, i just got used to not seeing any belts on the front, now they come out with this. looks like an impressive innovation, prob sweet to operate. wonder if it has any power to the ground? i still didnt see what size it is, i heard a 7, what letter are they putting behind it? i couldnt watch the vid

CEwriter

Occupation
journalist
That's D 7 E
235 horsepower C9 engine
60,000-pound (27,000 kg) weight class
Product guys say the electrical system is sealed, and Cat uses (for the time being) the same recommendation for submerged operation as for the D7R -- It'll work in water up to the fan.

All of the accessories are electric, except the hydraulic fan. AC is completely self-contained up on the roof of the cab.

Product guys say it puts more flywheel horsepower and torque on the ground than a powershift because it doesn't lose horsepower in a torque converter.

They claim a reduction in fuel consumption of up to 20 percent (compared to the D7R), increase in production of up to 10 percent, and a combined increase in material moved per gallon of fuel of up to 25 percent. Optimal figures estimated in a slot-dozing operation. Uses the same blade as a D7R.

Electric drive is infinitely variable, like hydrostatic in that respect, and so they claim that it offers much more precise positioning control, and the ability to counter-rotate with differential steering.

Lots of talk tonight around the water cooler about how ugly it is. I don't agree. It is a little clunky looking in places, but you have to remember that it's a field trial prototype. I strongly suspect there will be refinements. The cab design is pretty interesting.

There is a HUGE empty space under that hood. Product guys say it's to accommodate Tier 4a technology when it comes available, but the consensus is that Tier 4a couldn't possibly require that much space. I wonder if Cat Power has another emissions-reducing surprise up its sleeve for the next emissions-reduction deadline?

Today's explanations about the oval track sounded a little jarring in relationship to the elevated-sprocket marketing. I think the questions need to be asked for a while longer before the real answer will begin to surface.

More meetings, more chances to find out about the monster tomorrow. For now, I got to sleep.

L

Hjolli

It seems like Cat is abandoning their once very highly acclaimed hi-drive. It might be because the hi-d D7 never faired very well (or what?) Or because in this way they can reduce the number of components and lower the center of gravity. This might even increase sales of their competitors because when Cat says good for oval drive it must be ok!
A questionable move is the single lift cylinder. While improving visibility it is bound to put more stress on the blade corners. But maybe that was no problem with the Euclid/Terex dozers?

OzDozer

Occupation
Semi-Retired ..
Well, my! .... how the worm turns! .. Cat pooh-poohed for decades, any of their competition, who used any form of electric drive, particularly R.G. LeTourneau .. pooh-poohed Euclid/Terex with their "useless" single ram blade design .. told everyone for 25 years that low track design was history, and obsolete .... and now we have ..

A. An electric drive Cat ..
B. A single blade ram ..
C. A low track design ..

And to top it all .. the whisper is, that the AC drive technology for the D7E, has merely been purchased from an off-the-shelf supplier .. :rolleyes:

If Cat have done this right, the tractor may be a winner. The simple fact of the matter is, that diesel electric drive is a very efficient method of propulsion .. and R.G. LeTourneau was 50-80 years ahead of his time, when he produced an electric powered scraper in 1922 .. produced the AC "Tournatorque" electric motor in 1948 (that could operate under water and produce maximum torque in 1/6th second) .. and patented the electric wheel motor in 1950.

LeTourneau obtained, held and probably still hold hundreds of patents on electric motor and electric wheel design .. and I'll wager Cat is probably paying LeTourneau, royalties somewhere along the line, for (1950's - :D ) technology used in the "new" 2008 Cat .. :D

The current LeTourneau loaders are the largest around .. are proving themselves very efficient .. and you can look forward to most larger items of equipment, turning to electric drive technology within the next decade.

Construct'O

Occupation
Dozerwork,tiling plus many more!!!!!!!
What the ???????? It's a Eucpilliar :D. It's a 8240 with a yellow paint job and a chopped down cab,and electric drive.

The outside final drive plantary system is a plus,but they need to add another lift cylinder for the dozer,what was they thinking(cheap).

Wheres the rear radiator,O' guess Komatsu beat them to that.Too bad Terex never did anything good with the old Euclid dozers,now the other companys are robbing there ideas.

Back when i was around Euclid dozers the plantary final drive wasn't any good:beatsme ............now who's using them, everyone!!!!!!!!!!

Other then the single cylinder idea ,looks to be a usable machine.

That if they can just keep the land fill rat from eating up the wiring to the electric motors and shorting out the system.Like they did last year on my D6R starter system:rolleyes:.Good luck!!!!!!!!!:usa