• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Engine not revving up

GovernorGod

Hello.

I have an engine acceleration problem on my 289D CAT skid steer. The governor actuator (#1 in the attached PDF) on my machine does not respond to throttle inputs from the cab. The display unit controller, however, does indicate an accurate signal is being generated from the controls (pedal and throttle knob). Interestingly, the motor appropriately responds by revving up if I manually actuate the governor linkage, thereby eliminating an engine mechanical issue. Given this information, I was fairly sure that either the wiring, the actuator itself, or the controller was the culprit.

Concerning the possibility of a wiring issue, the actuator will oddly operate momentarily after startup; the engine will rhythmically rev (in a precise, deliberate seeming way) for ~10 seconds before stabilizing and settling at ~1000 rpm--all the while being unresponsive to any throttle inputs. If the signal wiring to the governor actuator had been damaged, surely it would not operate at all, right?

Assuming the signal wiring is undamaged, it seems pretty evident to me that the controller module is faulty. What other reason would explain the rhythmic, nonsensical acceleration after startup? Does anyone know if the governor actuator has an internal module that may be faulty? If not, does anyone know which controller operates the governor actuator? If the governor actuator is bad, how is it able to momentarily operate in a repeatable way? Surely it would behave differently--or not at all--if that was indeed the case, right?

I got a second opinion from a CAT technician who surmised that the actuator was faulty and needed replacement... a $2000 job. I was wondering if anybody here had any information about the governor actuator on the 289D. The actuator has a 4-pin connector, does anyone have a diagram, schematic, or knowledge that I can use to test its electrical signals? Does anyone know of related problems with the governor actuator on CAT skid steers? I am well-versed in automotive systems but not heavy equipment, so any information about these machines is much appreciated. Thank you for reading.

g06107487.svgz

Attachments

• Gov diagram.pdf
    326 KB · Views: 2

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
Ask mod to move to skid steer section. Also add serial number.
Aksherley the CTL/MTL section because it's not a skid-steer - it has tracks not wheels.

Second the need for a Serial Number. The electrical schematic is dervied from that.

Next thing on the list of requirements is a list of the Actrive Diagnostic Codes. Fingers crossed you have the optkional display that allows you to pull them up, otherwise you'll need ET.