• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Engine Stand

Truck Shop

Always wanted a engine stand like the ones I used years ago. Today I ran on some
luck, the local JD dealer has been cleaning out any tool that don't have manufacture
tag with rating. This stand was built by a guy I knew in the shop about 40 years ago.
Bolted to the floor using old drill press stand. But all I want is the gear drive, off a
JD model 95 combine final wheel drive. When Buck built it he geared it down a little
more and put a lock for rotation. I have all the steel to build a moveable stand that
will be capable of holding 6,000 plus lbs of engine. Build it after surgery this Nov.
To buy one built like OTC-$8,000, I should get this one done for less than $600.
The yellow pan is just for size reference bottom of 5gal bucket.100_1938.JPG100_1936.JPG100_1937.JPG

crane operator

Better see if they have the adapter plates laying around for it, and get them before they head for the scrap pile.

I've seen the big OTC ones on military surplus auctions, and they are a beefy unit. But they would take up a lot of room in the shop, for something I wouldn't use very often.

Should be handy for you if you keep building engines.

You have a place to put it?

Truck Shop

You have a place to put it?
old shop, the adapter plates were for JD engines and a Detroit's. I'll build one each for Cummins
and Cat.
One of these is strictly for a large shop or rebuilder. The thing that stops most shops from doing
out of frames is the fact they have no stand. It takes allot longer if you don't, plus a greater chance
of a dirty job. After using the ones from years back it's the only way to go. Might even put a jib
hoist on this one to unload & load cranks, cylinder heads. My old ones had it.

1693TA

Occupation
FAA Radar Engineer, (Retired)
I have an old OTC and several adapters for engines. It came from a closed Allis-Chalmers dealership several years ago on the construction side. Has a gearbox you can slide in either a 101, or 103 series Char-Lynn hydraulic motor to make it rotate, but I don't know if original, or set up for demonstration.

That one sure looks as if it will serve you well.

Truck Shop

I forgot to take some photos-but I took the mount apart, cut it down-refined it a bit &
rewelded most of it-some welds were a little on the thin side. Bought some used steel
to build the main upright and legs. The upright is 1/2" X 5 x 7, the rest of the legs/frame
is 3/8" x 5 x 5 and happens to be old JD cultivator main tubes. So it's mainly built from
John Deere parts and pieces. Bought 5" X 2" 2R--2 Swivel casters/Steel good for 1000 lbs
ea. Don't have any photos yet, get it welded first. It's going to be a tank, just like the one
I used years ago.
Also going to install a 1 ton jib crane chain hoist that can be taken down for transporting,
plus a swing out tool tray mounted to one leg.
I figure it this way-I'm old, tired & sore and tired of doing this the hard way-I had it years
ago and know what it was like to have one and I feel I deserve it now even if I only do
a few more engines-I can sell it or will it to Junkyard.

Truck Shop

Cut apart main vertical support, rewelded and cleaned up what was originally built.
Vertical piece is 1/2"x 5" x 7" the rest is 3/8"x 5"x 5" all repurposed used steel along
with the pieces cut for caster mounts. 22 to 1 ratio plenty slow very easy to crank will
easily support 4,000 lbs of engine plus with a lock for rotation. Will build boss for engine
block adapter next. Total coast is $330 including paint. Time rough messing around 16 hrs.
100_1966.JPG100_1962.JPG100_1963.JPG100_1965.JPG

56wrench

If thats a JD final drive like on the 9600’s or 9610’s they have been known to fail at the wheel flange area but that looks like the older tapered hub style

Truck Shop

Looks like a great engine stand. Now I just have to send you a 12.7 detroit to overhaul. :p
Well I made a trip to my favorite salvage yard today, found a 14L series 60, non emission.
might have to get that and build to 575 hp. I'm also looking at a B model Cat. I still have to add
the jib crane for installing cranks and heads.
Thanks.

Truck Shop

I want to know what happened to retirement.
I can do what I want now---I always liked building engines. But I will be back hauling grain
next year. Dwight took over some of his dads ground and two of his 379 Petes, something
smooth to drive. This morning I removed the air lines from compressor to dryer on the tow
truck-started leaking air engine installed-and those are a pain over the top of trans, along
crossmember to right side where dryer and wet tank are. 5 hrs still have about a hour to go as
soon as discharge hose shows up.