• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Fecon FTX90L engine problems

TCILandclearing

Junk Deutz

I just Joined this site so I could let you all know that I have the same problems with my Rayco Deutz. The Deutz engines are junk Period. They arent much of a motor to begin with but in the crawler mower application its a joke. I have put a total of four 2011 Deutz engines in my Rayco C87l and they all failed the original engine made it 1400hrs then the next was 400 and the next was 192 and the next was 82. The dealer that was putting these in was grossly incompetent and I think they were doing something wrong but still the motors are junk. I have run the gammet with Deutz and they will lie dodge and avoid to not go good for these. One of my new engines came through with an oil switch missing and I ran it for a week or so and then brought it back because it wouldn run right. They figured that out and then about two months later it blew a hole in the block as I was plowing a camp road. Of course this is after they chased a non existant wiring problem for a week at $86/hr because they couldn't belive that the gauge was only showing 7lbs of pressure. like I said they aren't much for motors to begin with and when you add this paticular dealership to the equation you don't stand a chance. I mean, I literally have three of these motors at my shop that I paid $10K a piece for and they are junk. Boat anchors.

I think what is happening is the dealerships would actually like to go good for these but Deutz won't and then its either they pay on their own or not and the customer is left holding the bag.

Now let me tell you my solution. After junk engine number 4 I was completely broke. with the downtime and the repair cost it about ruined me. So I took a job for the winter just to put food on the table. Somebody had given me an old GMC NPR box truck and it had an Izusu 4BD1T motor. All mechanical. I spent nights and weekends re-engineering this start to finish. Now, as luck would have it this motor is a good fit fot the 87L / FTX90 because it runs at 3000 rpm but it has 116hp. I tood the Deutz bellhousing off one of my motors and had a machine shop fit it on to the Izusu engine and also take the pump spline receiver off the deutz flywheel and center it on the Flywheel of the new engine. Under $400 at a local machine shop. then slide it in and bolt it up. Even the front motor mounts are correct because they are on that Deutz bell houseing. Cut the old rayco motor mounts out of the rayco chasis. I had a fab guy come and build me some new motor mounts on site. $200. My machine is an 04 so it didn't have the high cool package but it did have limb risers so I just remoted the cooler up there. I used the deutz alternator because it had all my plug ins to run the rayco computer and tach. I spent about another $1000 on parts and paying a mechanic to wire it up because it was beyond me. the Air cleaner and exaust are on the outside of the cowling where they should be and I have a decent running machine for about $2K and I'm back in buisness. Its really kind of a joke. I mean I took an unkown milage and hour motor and put it in a machine it wasn't even made for and it runs better, cooler more reliable than the three $10 to $12k dealer installed Deutz. The moral of the story is if you want something done right you have got to do it yourself. Also I feel I should say that Rayco has been as decent as they can be to me through all this. They won't go good for the engines but why should they They are not theirs. Deutz is the liars and cheaters in this game and they should get theirs so lets try to get together and see what we can do about at least forcing them to buy back the junk engines they have sold us. Thanks for letting me vent, Keep in touch.

Willis Bushogin

Occupation
owner
Deutz

I just Joined this site so I could let you all know that I have the same problems with my Rayco Deutz. The Deutz engines are junk Period. They arent much of a motor to begin with but in the crawler mower application its a joke. I have put a total of four 2011 Deutz engines in my Rayco C87l and they all failed the original engine made it 1400hrs then the next was 400 and the next was 192 and the next was 82. The dealer that was putting these in was grossly incompetent and I think they were doing something wrong but still the motors are junk. I have run the gammet with Deutz and they will lie dodge and avoid to not go good for these. One of my new engines came through with an oil switch missing and I ran it for a week or so and then brought it back because it wouldn run right. They figured that out and then about two months later it blew a hole in the block as I was plowing a camp road. Of course this is after they chased a non existant wiring problem for a week at $86/hr because they couldn't belive that the gauge was only showing 7lbs of pressure. like I said they aren't much for motors to begin with and when you add this paticular dealership to the equation you don't stand a chance. I mean, I literally have three of these motors at my shop that I paid $10K a piece for and they are junk. Boat anchors.

I think what is happening is the dealerships would actually like to go good for these but Deutz won't and then its either they pay on their own or not and the customer is left holding the bag.

Now let me tell you my solution. After junk engine number 4 I was completely broke. with the downtime and the repair cost it about ruined me. So I took a job for the winter just to put food on the table. Somebody had given me an old GMC NPR box truck and it had an Izusu 4BD1T motor. All mechanical. I spent nights and weekends re-engineering this start to finish. Now, as luck would have it this motor is a good fit fot the 87L / FTX90 because it runs at 3000 rpm but it has 116hp. I tood the Deutz bellhousing off one of my motors and had a machine shop fit it on to the Izusu engine and also take the pump spline receiver off the deutz flywheel and center it on the Flywheel of the new engine. Under $400 at a local machine shop. then slide it in and bolt it up. Even the front motor mounts are correct because they are on that Deutz bell houseing. Cut the old rayco motor mounts out of the rayco chasis. I had a fab guy come and build me some new motor mounts on site. $200. My machine is an 04 so it didn't have the high cool package but it did have limb risers so I just remoted the cooler up there. I used the deutz alternator because it had all my plug ins to run the rayco computer and tach. I spent about another $1000 on parts and paying a mechanic to wire it up because it was beyond me. the Air cleaner and exaust are on the outside of the cowling where they should be and I have a decent running machine for about $2K and I'm back in buisness. Its really kind of a joke. I mean I took an unkown milage and hour motor and put it in a machine it wasn't even made for and it runs better, cooler more reliable than the three $10 to $12k dealer installed Deutz. The moral of the story is if you want something done right you have got to do it yourself. Also I feel I should say that Rayco has been as decent as they can be to me through all this. They won't go good for the engines but why should they They are not theirs. Deutz is the liars and cheaters in this game and they should get theirs so lets try to get together and see what we can do about at least forcing them to buy back the junk engines they have sold us. Thanks for letting me vent, Keep in touch.

I cant agree more, with all you said. I guess thats the reason Fecon is not using Deutz anymore. It did (my blown engine) put me out of business. The finance company didnt want to help me with the situation and I couldnt afford to fix it, Fecon and Deutz was useless and more so, the dealer I bought it from (with a warranty) would not even take my calls. Lawyer said I had a case, but it would take a up front retainer (I think he said $5000) if I had that kind of extra money, I would have tried to fix the machine HUMMMMM
Bottom line they reposed the machine, hired my dealer to fix/replace the engine. I havent had any contact with them since the repo, but Im sure they will sell the machine for nothing and come after me for the rest. That should be interested, when this happens. I was making a little money with the machine, so now that income is gone, so where am I going to get the money to pay the difference:Banghead HUMMMMMM Dang IT

Thanks all, I dont want to get started venting again. Im 64 years old and never had anything reposed

Final note, stay away from Duetz

Iron Horse

I'm sorry to hear they have treated you so badly . I would seek your department of free legal aid , as your income is gone and sue them . You now have nothing to lose and everything to gain . You may even be entitled to make a claim for lost earnings and even stress . There are also many law firms that will take your case and only charge IF they win for you . These costs are often awarded to you in the settlement . If these firms say they will take your case , it will be because they are certain they will get paid . You bought the machine with a warranty , no matter who buys a business out , they MUST honour the warranty . I think you will find that the company will meet you on the court house steps and settle out of court . They are bluffing you at the moment , waiting for you to give up .

jwb08

Occupation
rancher
All the same problems after purchasing in 2008 but finally I got proper help and sent it to Indiana and they put in a Yanmar Engine in 2009 and no problems.

mowingman

Occupation
Retired
I think Deutz is a great engine, for SOME applications. Using the Deutz in these various mulchers was not the proper application. The Fecon/Rayco/Deutz fiasco with these engines, started way back in 2006 or so. The first mulcher we leased was an almost brand new Fecon FTX140 as I recall. It already had a JD engine transplanted into it. The second one we leased about 09, was also nearly new and it also had a JD placed in it. In about 2012, we leased a Rayco/Fecon for a few months. I believe it was a Rayco 100. That machine had a Yanmar engine put in it, as the Deutz cratered. I doubt there are many of those mulchers running with the original Deutz engine. I see a lot of used mulchers advertised for sale, but have never seen one that was still Deutz powered.