• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

First equipment purchase

jakelly

Well jeez Rita that sounds like a plan, you just send me an address and I'll send you a check!.... FISH ON.

KSSS

Occupation
excavation
Typically the pilots have issues with the cold and have better luck with E/H, but never say never and never say always.

jakelly

I decided on a 2005 440 with high flow, cab, heat, and only 970 hrs. This machine came from a ski resort and was used mostly for snow removal, also the dealer is willing to wait until March, when I'll have the rest of the 21k, to sell it to me. I still need a high flow trencher attachment. Thanks for the help fellas, I am making an informed and confident decision because of the experience and knowledge passed on here.

KSSS

Occupation
excavation
Thats a good choice at a fair price. Watch Ironplanet.com, you might catch a HF trench going through between now and March. Heck as warm as its been in ND you could be grabbing some of that oil money right now.

NVtracks

Hey guys I am new to this forum. I have read this thread with interest because I am looking at buying my first tracked machine and have it narrowed down to a Takeuchi tl140 and a New Holland C185. I was interested in the discussion about the pilot controls. What kind of controls does the Tak machines have? I know a 150 I tested had really responsive controls! The NH C185 was really delayed in control response but I believe it has hydraulic fluid leaks in both joysticks.
I am hoping to hear some opinions from members on these two machines. I don't mean to hijack this thread but considering Jake has decided on a machine and I am too new to start a new thread, I figured it would be okay. I am going to use this machine on a ranch in Northern Nevada. We live at the base of really big mountains and I need a machine that can handle steep terrain. I also deal with a lot of rock, but need the tracks mostly for working on wet meadows during irrigating season.
If anybody has any info on the NH C185 or the Tak tl140 I would appreciate it!

jakelly

Tell me about it! What a winter, could have worked all year thus far. NVtracks, my name is actually Josh, my choice for a tracked machine, before Mr. Kaiser got to me, was the ctl70 by Gehl. It is the Takeuchi tl140 in different paint with closer/better support, in my area, and will still be my first tracked choice when that time comes. There is a load of information in this forum on that machine if you use the search function. Incidentally, almost nothing even moderately negative is written about that Mustang/Gehl/Takeuchi.

NVtracks

Thanks for the info Josh! I agree completely that I have yet to read hardly anything negative about the Tak/Mustang/Gehl machines. I think the biggest drawback to them is the lack of high flow hydraulics. I am planning on running a brush beater and I guess this could be an issue with the Tak. I have read where some of the brush attachments will run on low flow but not many. The New Holland still seems doable but I am not sure it has high flow or not. Plus I have read about track frame leaning on the NH machines. That concerns me!

KSSS

Occupation
excavation
Thanks for the info Josh! I agree completely that I have yet to read hardly anything negative about the Tak/Mustang/Gehl machines. I think the biggest drawback to them is the lack of high flow hydraulics. I am planning on running a brush beater and I guess this could be an issue with the Tak. I have read where some of the brush attachments will run on low flow but not many. The New Holland still seems doable but I am not sure it has high flow or not. Plus I have read about track frame leaning on the NH machines. That concerns me!

You might talk to a knowledgeable NH salesman. The track leaning issue I think was resolved. I know that it was not a wide spread issue. Gehl has offered high flow in the same machine if you can find one.

NVtracks

Thanks KSSS! I will try to get ahold of our "local" NH dealer and ask a few questions. I believe this NH I am considering is a 2006 so I wonder if the track frame lean issue was resolved pre or post 2006? It has other issues including joystick problems, so I am also looking at the TL140 along with a TL150. I need a machine to run a brush beater, handle rocks and such, along with running on wet hay meadows, so weight is definitely a concern. Thanks!

hcntech

Banned
HCN Attachments of skid steer loader

Hello Jakelly:

Many thanks for your reply.

But i don't understand you.

what do you want to know? Please tell me.:)

Best regards

Rita

MSN: xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
rGmail: xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Last edited by a moderator:

SNOW JW

Occupation
Anything that burns diesel
Jake do you worry about the scoria on the pad sites and the tracks?? Looking as well but I just don't know how bad it would tare them up?? Anyone else had to work on sharp scoria and a tracked machine??

jakelly

I am not planning on using a tracked machine, I plan on using a Case440 with tires. Scoria will chew through tires, I'm sure the tracks will go fast, too.

jakelly

Well I bought my first machine today. A 1997 two speed 90xt, with high flow, a cab (no door), and a hydraulic coupler. 5000 hrs is high, but I don't plan on using it as much as I once did. Thanks to all for the information I have received here. I am confident in my decision, because of your help. I will post pics as soon as I get the machine.
P.S. Anyone have a door they aren't using?

KSSS

Occupation
excavation
The 90XT is a good machine. Its a HD machine with excellent high flow gpm.

jakelly

I mostly need it to move round bales, snow, and do some dirt work on my property. The ranchette serves as my main tax write-off and now I have the option of using the skid steer on a weekend job for a few extra bucks. I haven't heard the rave reviews of the 90xt that I have for other Case models, but the brute strength and capabilities of the machine won me over.

KSSS

Occupation
excavation
The 90XT/450 is designed to excavate and move dirt. Its a physically heavy machine about 9k with a relatively low ROC of 2450. So for lift and carry type jobs its not a great machine (you wont have a problem moving round bales). The 95XT which weighed just a little more could lift almost 1000 pounds more than the 90XT, thanks to a little longer wheelbase and a vertical lift linkage. However the bucket functions are wicked fast about twice as fast as the 95XT. I have never owned one but have spent some time in them. I really like the machines. They have big power, and with all that weight they can really excavate material. If you have ride control and the two speed was standard its a very productive machine on the job site. The linkage gets a little loose as the hours tick off. You can shim it but thats just the way it is. You have a lot skid steer in the 90XT.

jakelly

I do have the ride control with mine. I am glad to hear it is ready to excavate. How do the high flow hydraulics on these machines stack up to comparable ASV, takeuchi, or Cat.