• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Flat head 6 available

skyking1

I think this could be had cheap. It was running when shut down 10 years ago and turns freely. Looks to be all there except the starter.
PXL_20230923_232842271.jpg

PXL_20230923_232851705.jpg

This is the truck it came out of for identification. It will get re-powered with something modern and be a pickup in a new life.

PXL_20230912_202736255.jpg

LOVE this pristine grille!

PXL_20230912_202806858.jpg

skyking1

Thanks TS. I don't know the year of the truck but I will ask. That will narrow it down a bunch if it is original equipment.

kshansen

Occupation
Retired Mechanic in Stone Quarry
First thing I thought of when I saw the first picture was it looked like the engine out of the old Yale fork truck we had at the quarry. So that could be another place someone could use it.

Truck Shop

Thanks TS. I don't know the year of the truck but I will ask. That will narrow it down a bunch if it is original equipment.
Has to be from 40 through 47 with some slight differences, Normal power was 217, 236, 250-
95, 115, 120 hp. Dodge built 4 models of COE's at that time IIRC. Prices in those days started at
$500 roughly.

Truck Shop

First thing I thought of when I saw the first picture was it looked like the engine out of the old Yale fork truck we had at the quarry. So that could be another place someone could use it.
Dodge built allot of industrial flatheads, many were used in balers, combines.

OzDozer

Occupation
Semi-Retired ..
Best old flathead gas engine ever made! Reliable as the day is long, they take some wearing out!
I've got one in my old Yale forklift, well-worn and smokey, but never fails to start and run like a Swiss watch!

56wrench

If i recall, there was 2” length difference between the block sizes. I think the short ones were 23” and the long ones 25”? The 251 and the 265 would be the longer block. Somebody correct me if i’m wrong

1693TA

Occupation
FAA Radar Engineer, (Retired)
You are correct as is the 250. Your reference to the 251 may be the same engine but I've not heard it called that myself.

Welder Dave

They look similar to Continental engines. I had a build it yourself Hobart welder with an IND 251 on it. The intake/exhaust manifold was cracked but I knew some guys on a farm with an old Massey Harris combine. It wasn't running and had the same engine except the intake was updraft and I needed downdraft. I went to a muffler shop and got 2 curved pieces welded together to make a U shape. I moved the carb. out beside the manifold and welded some flanges on the U and no issues. It looked a little crude but worked. Looking back I didn't have any trouble removing any of the nuts on the (exhaust) manifold. I've heard many times it's common for them to break.

56wrench

I’ve got the ‘long block’ in my Hobart GL318. It had low oil pressure when i got it. The oil pump was worn out so i got a new one from my Massey dealer to fit a Super 92 combine. That was about 30 years ago. Easy to change on the outside of the block below the manifolds.

skyking1

I’ve got the ‘long block’ in my Hobart GL318. It had low oil pressure when i got it. The oil pump was worn out so i got a new one from my Massey dealer to fit a Super 92 combine. That was about 30 years ago. Easy to change on the outside of the block below the manifolds.
that's a nice feature to not have to drop the pan.