• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Ford 555D hydraulic cylinders

materthegreater

Fixing leaking cylinders seems to be the popular thing to do to a backhoe so I decided to join the crowd.

1000005004.jpg

1000005003.jpg

1000005006.jpg

The first 3 pictures are for a loader bucket cylinder that was leaking badly. Unfortunately, the dealer got the wrong seal kit for me so I'm waiting to see what they come up with.

Meanwhile, I pulled apart the steering cylinder. The rod has a lot of dents from rocks landing on it. It's very exposed and vulnerable to anything falling off the loader bucket. The dealer wants $1200 for a new rod. Can I just file off the high spots and then polish it with very fine sandpaper? Or maybe I could get a hydraulic shop to make a new rod.

1000005005.jpg

Delmer

It's so much fun you'll find yourself doing another one every year or so!

Yes, file off the bumps and sand smooth. Most general repair machinists will be able to order the rod and make up that rod, the hydraulic shops farm that out to them, so might as well deal direct. Or you could find the part number and see if there's an NOS or aftermarket rod available.

materthegreater

I'm good with the file and sand method since this is a low use machine. I don't mind a little seepage, but I don't want it to just ruin the new seals after a few hours of use. I'll have to see if the dealer will give me the part number for the rod.

Swetz

Occupation
Electric & Gas Company
The bottom line is that you must remove any and all of the raised portions. The portions that dip in will not cut the seals, but will carry a small amount of oil. I like an angle die grinder and 3m (roloc)pads to take down the high spots.

CM-000000N1QS-Product-3MA048011-08765-1200Wx1200H_1200x1200.jpg

materthegreater

Thanks for the advice guys.

Turns out that CNH does not have the correct kit for this cylinder anymore. I would have to buy a new gland and piston to update the cylinder to the new style. So I guess I need to try to source the seals individually.

1000005033.jpg

1000005035.png

I found what I think are suitable substitutes for most of them, but I'm not sure where to get a new gland wire.

Willie B

Occupation
Electrician
You have a lathe. The rod is available online. If you are qualified to cut threads, make a new rod.
I confess I chickened out on making a new barrel a few years back. I've always wondered if I could have done it. Seems to me a rod would be simpler.

Swetz

Occupation
Electric & Gas Company
I used this kit when I did mine. Fit correctly, and came with the wire.

materthegreater

You have a lathe. The rod is available online. If you are qualified to cut threads, make a new rod.
I confess I chickened out on making a new barrel a few years back. I've always wondered if I could have done it. Seems to me a rod would be simpler.
That's a good idea but the only problem is this one has an integral piston. That's probably why it's so much for a new one.

1000005038.jpg

1000005039.jpg

Not to mention that my lathe skills are pathetic...

Last edited:

materthegreater

I used this kit when I did mine. Fit correctly, and came with the wire.

This machine is newer than the year listed on the site, but for $32 it might be worth a chance!

Swetz

Occupation
Electric & Gas Company
If it is a 555d, this is the cylinder kit that Messicks shows. Look at the price difference. The fact that it is in stock tells me it is a hot #.

1695730475715.png

materthegreater

If it is a 555d, this is the cylinder kit that Messicks shows. Look at the price difference. The fact that it is in stock tells me it is a hot #.

View attachment 295308
I looked it up on Messick's and I think the note under item #11A is telling us the same thing the dealer told me. The seals will only fit the updated gland and piston I think.

1000005056.png

Swetz

Occupation
Electric & Gas Company
I looked it up on Messick's and I think the note under item #11A is telling us the same thing the dealer told me. The seals will only fit the updated gland and piston I think.

Trust me, I get what you are saying. I spent over $400 for the updated gland nut for the crowd cylinder. After I did that, NH575E and I were discussing it, and he found the kit that would work with the original gland.

Not telling you what to do, but I put that kit in my 1999 machine and it fit. I may be worth the $42 (including shipping to my house) to buy it and try. NH575E called CEA-Services and talked to them. They agreed to take back one of the 2 kits he purchased for one of his cylinders.

BTW, the CEA-Services kits come from Hercules just like the individual items you priced out above.

Swetz

Occupation
Electric & Gas Company
Yes. I also put clear reviews in the slot after the wire is in to keep water and corrosion out.

materthegreater

Autocorrect can be so frustrating!

Thanks again for your recommendation of CEA services. I called and talked to Chris today and he was very helpful. The Ford part number that he pulled up for this machine is different than the one the dealer sold me so I'm hopeful that everything will fit properly (with the bonus of being 1/3 the cost!).