• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Ford Loader popping out of gear?

ManyTons

My Ford 555 Loader (old, ugly, but usually dependable), has started popping out of gear. Any gear, any speed. Also makes some grinding sound in motion but sounds external to the transmission? I did some searching, could it be the throwout bearing needs greased? Is that a thing on these old loaders? Any other likely culprits? Any advice appreciated.

ManyTons

Does it help narrow it down than clutch depressed, nice and quiet. Clutch released , almost like if you leave something metal in the washing machine... it hasn't been abused or overworked so I am at a loss at where to look. Is it possible a nut or something came loose inside? Reaching for any idea where to look next.

Tinkerer

Does that happen when the machine sitting still ?
All I can say is that with the clutch repressed and the noise ceases, indicates that there is a problem in the transmission.
Drain the oil out and see what comes out with it.
If it has a filter, remove it and cut it open and sew what is in it.