• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Front Wheel Tilt

Steve Frazier

Founder
Staff member
This may sound like a silly question, but I've always wondered what the purpose of the front wheel tilt was? Does it increase traction to the front tires? I've watched graders work but have never operated one.

Grader4me

Ah! I can answer that one. Front wheel tilt is to aid in steering for making sharp turns etc. Also good when making a heavy cut, as you can lean your wheels toward the windrow to maintain better control of your grader. For example, you are blading your material to the right side, so this would have a tendency to push your front end to the left, so lean the wheels a bit to the right to overcome this, and you are not fighting with the steering wheel all the time.
Also when you are ditching you lean your wheels to the high side for balance/steering/ etc.
Hope this answers your question.

Countryboy

Occupation
Load Out Tech. / Heavy Equipment Operator / Locomo
This may sound like a silly question, but I've always wondered what the purpose of the front wheel tilt was? Does it increase traction to the front tires? I've watched graders work but have never operated one.

Not silly cause I don't know either although I think traction would be an answer because the corners of the tire would have more "bite" in that position.

Oops typed too slow. Funny how I see the grader out here everyday and have never asked the operator that question.

Last edited:

Ford LT-9000

Banned
Occupation
Rolling around in the dirt
Being a grader man is just like a cat skinner its a skill that takes years to master. Many of the old farts I know cut their teeth on old 740 Champions and loosing their hearing from a screaming 6/71.

Grader4me

Being a grader man is just like a cat skinner its a skill that takes years to master. Many of the old farts I know cut their teeth on old 740 Champions and loosing their hearing from a screaming 6/71.

Old farts? Naw... I won't bite on that one :Banghead Seriously though...I wear two hearing aids due to hearing loss.
This day and age the machines are sooo quite, but if you are operating older equipment that is loud.....wear hearing protection as I am living proof of what can happen if you don't.

Ford LT-9000

Banned
Occupation
Rolling around in the dirt
The new machines are really quiet the days are gone with the screaming engines. The highways maintenance contractor has a near new Cat 14H grader has lots of power seen it running around yesterday.

komatsukid

Occupation
loader operator/plant forman
I can contest to the hearing issue. two summers ago my 988F lost oil pressure and I had to run a 1970s 988. No airconditioning all the windows open, including the rear sliding window, oh yeah that was a roaring s.o.b.

Grader4me

It's not to bad if you are in a loud environment once in awhile. But day after day and year after year it can really sneak up on you. I was very foolish not to wear hearing protection. But you know hearing loss is painless and you think that heck it won't happen to me.
Getting away from the original topic again...this thread highjacking is starting to get fun :yup

digger242j

Administrator
Occupation
Self employed excavator
but if you are operating older equipment that is loud.....wear hearing protection as I am living proof of what can happen if you don't.

I'm sorry, can you please speak up? :confused:

Grader4me

Try to prevent other members of this great forum from suffering hearing loss and this is what I get:)
Hey Dwan how's the grader coming along? eh? what?

digger242j

Administrator
Occupation
Self employed excavator
:laugh Smart ass :laugh My god it's hard to be serious in this forum!

That was only partly in jest. If we were having this converstion in person, rather than typing over the internet, chances are I'd have asked you to repeat yourself several times already...

I'll second what you've said. If you haven't already ruined your ears--

USE EAR PROTECTION!

Grader4me

That was only partly in jest. If we were having this converstion in person, rather than typing over the internet, chances are I'd have asked you to repeat yourself several times already...

I'll second what you've said. If you haven't already ruined your ears--

USE EAR PROTECTION!

And I took it in jest ...right on digger..and thanks for reinforcing this:thumbsup

Last edited:

Dwan Hall

Occupation
Self Employed
I got the grader back inside today and now it is time for me to think about what I was doing.

First to go is the hearing then the memory.

I went to renew my hearing aids last November and the people @ Costco ware I get them did another hearing test. The results said I had a large air gap in my hearing. This means I can feel sound through my bones but cant hear it. They said they would not sell me any more aids till I seen a specialest. I made an appointment and they said my problem is correctable with sergery. Si I will be heading to the seattle area as soon as it quits snowing.
I am deaf in 1 ear and can't hear out of the other LOL.
They say by cutting some of the old bone out with a laser and replacing it with a plastic one I should be able to hear as well as I did when I was younger.

Digital hearing aids in Alaska start around $3200 a pair and go all the way up to $9K
@ Costco in Tacoma they run me $1800 for there top of the line. (a pair)

Now if they could just replace the part of my brain that has to do with spelling???

Last edited:

dayexco

i sat on a drott 50 with a 6v-53 screamtroit and a cracked exhaust manifold when younger for about 5000 hrs....huh, whad you say?

Grader4me

I got the grader back inside today and now it is time for me to think about what I was doing.

First to go is the hearing then the memory.

I went to renew my hearing aids last November and the people @ Costco ware I get them did another hearing test. The results said I had a large air gap in my hearing. This means I can feel sound through my bones but cant hear it. They said they would not sell me any more aids till I seen a specialest. I made an appointment and they said my problem is correctable with sergery. Si I will be heading to the seattle area as soon as it quits snowing.
I am deaf in 1 ear and can't hear out of the other LOL.
They say by cutting some of the old bone out with a laser and replacing it with a plastic one I should be able to hear as well as I did when I was younger.

Digital hearing aids in Alaska start around $3200 a pair and go all the way up to $9K
@ Costco in Tacoma they run me $1800 for there top of the line. (a pair)

Now if they could just replace the part of my brain that has to do with spelling???

It's great that your hearing loss can be fixed :thumbsup Mine can't, so I will just have to live with it. My hearing aids cost $3500 but I'm lucky because compensation pays for them. They also pay for all repairs, batteries etc.

Your spelling is no worse than anyone elses here, me included.

Squizzy246B

Administrator
Occupation
Digger Driver
i cun eeerr pufactlee...jus carnt undirstund wat yoos is seyin..coz wen i wiz a yunun i wiz werkin roun hi...hi...hisped.....veerie fust turbins...ana doc sez ize blowin outa bits of eeerin wat duz the deaf...the defun....Deefini...unnastannin off the werds. Soz no neetoo speecUP..jus turna bluddee Doof Doof muzac offf.:rolleyes: