• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Front Wheel Tilt

digger242j

Administrator
Occupation
Self employed excavator
:Banghead
(I'm not going to edit my post above, because that was an honest typo. I hate when I do that! I must be getting hard of seeing too...)

:bouncegri

RonG

Charter Member
Occupation
heavy equipment operator
I have always heard that your hearing was the second thing to go.:bouncegri Ron G

Dwan Hall

Occupation
Self Employed
Losing our eye site had nothing to do with running equipment. I was told when I was a teanager that other things caused that. As far as the hair goes he only part I have lost has ben the color. I think m mind will be next.

What was this thread about?

Dwan

Grader4me

Getting back on topic..although there was another important message that come from this thread (hearing protection)

Here is a tip for you grader operators, that you might not know. When backing a grader up to turn around, lean the front wheels the opposite way to which you are turning. So if you are backing to a sharp left, lean your wheels hard right.

This will allow the grader to turn easier and sharper. Strange but true.

Last edited:

Grader4me

It's 7:15 here. I'm an early riser..always have been. My mind works better first thing in the morning. I begin to lose it as the day goes on...

Dwan Hall

Occupation
Self Employed
It's 7:15 here. I'm an early riser..always have been. My mind works better first thing in the morning. I begin to lose it as the day goes on...

Sorry I just guested at your time. it is 2:15 here and I was just checking the weather to see if I had to plow or sand this morning.

By the way I don't have tilt on my machine unless I shake it real hard. LOL

Deas Plant

Lean wheel function on graders

Hi, Folks.
I too have noise induced hearing loss, sometimes called Industrial Deafness. I ackshully foun dit yoosefull wen I wuz m(h)arried. It seemed to cut in automatically when 'Honey' started nagging.

Leaning grader wheels ackshully started on the rear wheels of towed graders from what I can gather. (Contrary to some people's opinions, I WAS NOT around in those days.) Then, when graders first became self-propelled, they were often based on a small crawler tractor which was driven into the grader frame and securely attached, with the various controls being connected to the operating station of the grader.

When graders became self-propelled wheeled machines, it was easier to lean the front wheels which weren't driven than the rear wheels which were driven. However, many self-propelled wheel graders did not have lean wheels until the advent of tandem drive. Many of the early tandem drives did not have a differential. They were simply a solid axle between the two chain cases to maximise traction and this made them rather hard to turn sharply so leaning front wheels were the answer. 'Course, this also helped with keeping the grader on track when cutting heavy and when side cutting batters.

I once had a job where I sometimes had to drive a grader various distances from job to job on the company's own winding single-lane dirt roads. I found it entertaining to see just how far I could go steering with only the lean of the front wheels on an old 21F Cat 12, flat out at 20 MPH. I never did miss a corner on roads where you could travel a normal 4wd drive vehicle at 40-45 MPH.

Grader4me

Really good information Deas...thanks. I would also see how far I could go just by using the lean wheel...always chickened out and grabbed the steering wheel when I met a car though. :yup

Deas Plant

On Chickening out.

Hi, Grader4me.
I had one over you there. Where I was doing that, there were mostly only about 17 vehicles scattered over an area about 30 miles long by 2 miles wide. Twelve of those were Land Rovers and the other 5 were Bedford trucks, all single drive, four with tipping bodies and one tray top and it would be a VERY unusual day when ALL of them were out and about at once. In fact, there weren't normally enough people in the camp to put them all on the road at once. Traffic volume was what one might call 'light'.

You are absolutely right about leaning the front wheels out on a reversing turn - works a treat. However, a lot of operators don't seem to be able to differentiate between leaning the wheels for the sake of leaning of them and only leaning them when there is a need for it. Tyre and steering component wear is accelerated somewhat by unnecessary use of the lean wheels in normal operation under light loads.

Mind you, having just written the above about accelerated wear, I also had the rather perverted habit when sitting at traffic lights in a grader, of checking out the occupants of the cars alongside my front wheels. If there was a good looking sort in a car there, I would slowly lean the front wheels toward said car. I got quite a few startled looks, wondering if the front wheel was about to fall on her favourite car. Nasty type, aren't I?

One of the very early discoveries about articulated graders was their ability to overcome/counteract loading on one side of the blade by turning the rear end toward that side. This has the effect of aiming the driving force more directly at the load. The front lean wheels may still be needed to counteract sideways drift at the front end, especially if the load is on the front corner (toe) of the blade, as when windrowing material out of a bank. Very useful ability. And it was worked out by operators on JD 570's and 670's before the 'G' series Cats even came on the market, at least DownUnder.

Waal, I guess it's about time to get back to my (t)rusty hammock under yon shady tree.

Grader4me

Hi, Grader4me.
Mind you, having just written the above about accelerated wear, I also had the rather perverted habit when sitting at traffic lights in a grader, of checking out the occupants of the cars alongside my front wheels. If there was a good looking sort in a car there, I would slowly lean the front wheels toward said car. I got quite a few startled looks, wondering if the front wheel was about to fall on her favourite car. Nasty type, aren't I?

:lmao Thats a good one.. We just discovered one of the most important reasons to have lean wheel on a grader.:notworthy

Deas Plant

Teckernickel Information.

Hi, Grader4me.
There is some benefit in gathering all this teckernickel information and making these discoveries for yourself BUT it's of FAR greater benefit to the whole human race if, once you've done the gathering and discovering, you share it around.

Grader4me

Gathering & Sharing

Right on Deas...You just keep on gathering, and keep on sharing with us here on HEF. I for one appreciate your knowledge and wisdom, and learn from each one of your posts.

Deas Plant

If Others Listen.

Hi, Squizzy.
Is your glass ALWAYS 'half empty'???????????????
Do you ALWAYS wear 'low beams' and take the dim view???????????
Do you ALWAYS take the cynical and/or pessimistic view?????????????????

LOL.

To be quite honest, Mate, it bothers me not at all whether people choose to listen, and maybe even learn, or not. I have no doubt that some people won't. On the other hand, I have met a LOT of people over the years who did listen, some even attentively. Whether or not they attempted to put any of it into practice is another matter.

On top of that, my ways and ideas are NOT the only valid ones (if indeed they are valid) anywhere on the face of the Earth and people have every right to make their own choices about what is right for them.

So, I will go on collecting information, experiences and ideas and disseminating them to those who want to listen and I will continue with good grace to allow them to do with it as they wish.

Grader4me, I thank you for your kind words and I will turn them back at you too 'cos you also write some very interesting and informative posts.

I have said this before but I will say it again because to me it is the WHOLE essence of operating earthmoving machinery.

"The whole art of operating earthmoving machinery is in being able to set the blade or cutting edge to take the material from where you need to take it and put it where you need to put it, in the condition that it needs to be in, with the least possible effort in the shortest possible time."

Th- Th- Th- Th- That's all, Folks. (Well-trained soapbox takes itself off back to its corner until the next time it's needed.)