• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Front Wheel Tilt

Squizzy246B

Administrator
Occupation
Digger Driver
ROFLMA

my Beer is always half Empty

I have great faith in the Fallibility of the human species...dogs on the other hand...they are much more reliable...and loyal...and punctual :D

"The whole art of operating earthmoving machinery is in being able to set the blade or cutting edge to take the material from where you need to take it and put it where you need to put it, in the condition that it needs to be in, with the least possible effort in the shortest possible time."

Very well put...so why do some humans manage to make it so difficult:rolleyes: Lol

There are few things in life that can't be fixed with a good hit over the head with a shovel

And anyway...I always thought the tilt on the wheels was a directly proportional to how much suds the operator consumed the previous evening.:wink2

Remaining optimistic:cool:

Deas Plant

Some Alternate Views.

Hi, Squizzy.
"my Beer is always half Empty."
So finish the darned thing off and get a re-fill. Yer wastin' good drinkin' time.

"Very well put...so why do some humans manage to make it so difficult."
Simple. 'Cos they ain't read me yet. LOL.

"There are few things in life that can't be fixed with a good hit over the head with a shovel."
But a warm beer and a cold woman are two of them. You might change the shape of them by hitting them over the head with a shovel but they'll still be a warm beer (even if it is soaking into the ground, floorboards or carpet) and a (out) cold woman.

"And anyway...I always thought the tilt on the wheels was a directly proportional to how much suds the operator consumed the previous evening."

No, Squizzy. You are mistaking the 'tilt' of the drunken operator's body for the tilt of the lean wheels.

Does the above answer your questions?

DIYDAVE

:D What the leaning wheels do is to nudge the weak power steering system into performance. This is coming from the owner of an A/C DD grader, and I oughta Know!:cool2 :cool2

Grader4me

:D What the leaning wheels do is to nudge the weak power steering system into performance. This is coming from the owner of an A/C DD grader, and I oughta Know!:cool2 :cool2

That's a different use for the lean wheels:eek2 The best use so far has been this..

I also had the rather perverted habit when sitting at traffic lights in a grader, of checking out the occupants of the cars alongside my front wheels. If there was a good looking sort in a car there, I would slowly lean the front wheels toward said car. I got quite a few startled looks, wondering if the front wheel was about to fall on her favourite car. Nasty type, aren't I?

That one is priceless:naughty

Deas Plant

What did they do before . . . . . .????????

Hi, DIYDave.
Good point and quite valid for many types of power steering. How-wevver, I have one question for you.

"WHAT did the leans wheel do BEFORE there was power steering????????

'Cos even some of the old drawn graders with no 'donk' and NO power steering had lean wheels - way before power steering was ever fitted to powered graders. I vaguely remember that it was Adams that first fitted lean wheels to a grader and it WAS a drawn grader but I am open to correction on this.

Deas Plant

Uses for lean wheels.

Hi, Grader4me.
Thanks for quoting my earlier post. It reminded me of another use for leans wheels. They don't do a real bad job at all of flicking chrome strips off the sides of cars whose drivers are silly enough to try to push the front wheels of the grader sideways in traffic. I had a car with 3 Vietnamese birds in it try this on me one day in city traffic.

I was crossing a two lane bridge when the 'lady' (???) driver of this car decided to overtake my grader in the face of oncoming traffic. She suddenly realised that there wasn't enough space for her to achieve this feat, by which time she was about level with my front wheels. She veered towards my front wheels in an attempt to push her way in. (Silly woman - a 3/4 ton car against a 12 ton grader?????) I leaned the wheels slightly towards her car and the tyre lugs did the rest, flicking the chrome strips off the side of her car with gay abandon and taking the front door handle for good measure. That is not to mention the strange patterned black marks left on the side of her car.

After 3 bounces off my front wheel she finally decided that discretion was the better part of valour, braked hard and pulled in behind me. With a little co-operation from the oncoming traffic, I forced her to stop and went back to discuss this matter with her. She was utterly panic-stricken and the last thing she wanted was for the police to be called - no driver's license?????? Maybe even no entry permit to Australia??????

I told her that unless she signed a statement saying that the incident was NOT my fault I was going to call the 'fuzz'. She wrote and signed the statement and handed it to me and I never heard any more about it.

I have wondered from time to time though if she learned anything from the incident , not that it has cost me a great deal of sleep. And I still chuckle every time I think of her stupidity in thinking she was going to push the grader aside.

Blademan

Charter Member
Occupation
Operating Engineer
Hey Fellas ,

Not sure if it was mentioned in any other post ( sorry , haven't read them all but did like the hearing , or no hearing bit ) , but I found that by using the wheel lean I could make small corrections in my direction rather then using the steering wheel . Granted , this applies more for rough grading then fine because it can make a difference in elevation when you roll the wheels over .
Also , I've gotten into the habit to whenever I grab the articulation lever I also position my hand to use the wheel lean lever as they work so well together . That bit of info wouldn't be so useful in a few years , as they ( Cat ) goes to the two joystick control system .

Cheers ,

rob

Deas Plant

Lean wheel uses.

Hi, Blademan.
I also found the lean wheels handy for dodging around pegs as I graded along the edge of a road way or whatever. Just lean the wheels away from the peg as you approach it and back toward it again after you've passed it.

I once ran a 20 ton Austin Western 6x6x6 grader that had little thumb levers on each blade lift lever that operated the front wheel steering. That was a great idea too, for the same reason as well as a couple of others.