• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Genie S-60 Boom Drives slow and sometimes not at all.

JCB-214-2002

I have a 1995 Genie S-60 Boom, serial number 785. Took a chance and bought it for $1000.
I got it to run, boom functions work from the ground and basket.

When I attempt to drive it, it starts to move then seems to "Jump out" of it's hydraulic circuit for lack of better words. There's a change in the hydraulic pump noise when this happens.

If I change directions or engage the left or right steer function then go back to driving the original direction it engages again for a short period and seems to jump out. When it jumps out, if I reverse direction it does engage and drive in the new direction. When I say drive, I mean it barely moves but does move. Slow walking speed.

If I swing boom right or left from the basket, it starts fine then draws down to very slow movement.

Hydraulic fluid was initially low and not visible in the view window but I topped it off and it's holding.
There's also a super slow hydraulic leak on the rotator (Drips) but I didn't think that would cause the issues.

Looking for suggestions.

Thank you.

JCB-214-2002

Did a bit more troubleshooting today. The issue was with creep mode. There's a toggle switch in the basket where you select creep mode for incline or you can select flat surface driving. Creep mode limits the speed of the Genie.
Once I toggled to flat mode I was able to drive it. There's still an issue with creep mode though, but I can troubleshoot that another day.

Right now I'm moving on to repacking the platform rotator, it was leaking hydraulic fluid. Pulled it off today and will take it apart tomorrow. I may start another thread as I work through the various challenges.

JCB-214-2002

The end result of this was if the platform engine speed toggle switch was not set to fast but the drive mode was set to flat, then I had issues with forward\reverse not working or being really slow and choppy. Once I toggled the engine speed to fast, then it drove like it was supposed to. This is my first brush with a boom, so I'm not sure if that is normal behavior. Works fine now.
I mistook incline mode for flat originally due to the control labels being missing. Incline mode works fine as well.