• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Graders going where ??

Northart

Found these pix on the Canadian Oil Patch website.

Graders going where ???

Attachments

• Canada  Oil 2.jpg
    Canada Oil 2.jpg
    53 KB · Views: 1,922
  • Canada  Oil 3.jpg
    Canada Oil 3.jpg
    50.4 KB · Views: 1,767

bobcatmechanic

Occupation
bobcat mechanic
looks like going through the ice :rolleyes: they both drove across the ice before they broke through i would say making winter roads

DPete

I would think that to take off across a frozen lake would be unnerving to say the least. There must be some way to check the thickness first like ulta sound or some way to insure it is safe. Not only is it dangerous for the operator, now you have oil and fuel in the lake plus the teardown to clean up the machines compartments and the chore of getting it out, wonder who will hook up the cable?:eek: Seems a little irresponsible and very costly to me, glad I don't have to do it!

curly

Occupation
loader operator
Yeah you would think the thickness would have been checked already, unless they thought they were still on the ground. Notice how in the swimming picture the tracks get progressively deeper?

Randy Krieg

Occupation
Test Pilot/Operator @ Caterpillar's Tucson Proving
:)Gentlemen
Art's just funning a little. As you can see from the following pictures we do check the ice thickness. The guy on the snowmachine has a stainless steel razor drill and a rod with a folding latch, which hooks the bottom of the ice. Only a fool would cross without checking. These pictures were shot last year and I was hauling dynamite and drilling stems to a seismic company. I had to cross a few rivers and actually traveled north several miles on the one river. I park on grounded ice (as can be seen by the weeds) until the driller has checked the depth and relayed the thickness (via radio) to me. I have a chart and manuals which show the minimum thickness and spacing require for different weights. Yes; it is very nerving at times, but if the ice isn't good quality and the proper thickness, I'm not crossing it. I've seen too many machines through the ice from fools who didn't listen. Yes; I know it's still possible to find a weak spot, but I try to do everything to lessin the odds. I knew an operator who fell through and even though it was only cab height this huge chunk of ice came crashing through the back window right when the machine hit bottom. Killed him! Far more people get killed on America's highways everyday then ever get killed on these iceroads. When I can't go any further I get on land and call for the Huey to unload me.
Remember; it's all in the search for more OIL!!!!:thumbsup

Time for some sleep.....................

Attachments

• Drilling the Ice (Small).JPG
    Drilling the Ice (Small).JPG
    38.7 KB · Views: 1,576
  • Drilling the Ice 2 (Small).JPG
    Drilling the Ice 2 (Small).JPG
    36.9 KB · Views: 1,573
  • Chieftain Hauling Drill Plug II (Small).JPG
    Chieftain Hauling Drill Plug II (Small).JPG
    27.5 KB · Views: 1,597
  • Evergreen Helicopter Unloading Chieftain I (Small).JPG
    Evergreen Helicopter Unloading Chieftain I (Small).JPG
    14.4 KB · Views: 1,587
  • 1241 on the Ice Road (Small).JPG
    1241 on the Ice Road (Small).JPG
    36.8 KB · Views: 1,597

Northart

River Ice

Hi Randy,

The pics I put up were from Canada, so I do not know the circumstances.

What river are you on in the pics? Looks like the Talkeetna with the big cottonwoods.Just upstream from me several miles. Matanuska?

Yes river ice erodes from underneath also, so the thickness varies where the current flows.

Salt water and freshwater ice strength also varies. Takes 54 " of salt ice to carry what 48" of fresh ice will. Near shore is the thinnest,or weakest.

Nice pictures of ice roads.

Hasn't been cold enough here to freeze the Talkeetna over yet. Still open.

ovrszd

Occupation
Retired Army
ice roads

This is totally off the grader subject, but applies to ice roads. In 1984 I went to Alaska with my Army Reserve unit to support the Infantry Brigade up there with their Brim Frost exercise in late January/early February. Our vehicles were Dodge pickups with single axle trailers. They loaded our vehicles in C-130s and airdropped them into an area 30 miles South of Fairbanks called Bear Lake I think.

Anyway we spent two weeks up there living in tents and when it was time to leave we drove overland back to Fairbanks. We crossed two rivers but I have no idea what their names were. The weather had been unseasonably warm and the ice was too thin naturally. So the Army set up water cannons and shot water out onto the rivers to thicken the ice. We had to cross in low gear with the doors open, like that was gonna matter. It was a very cool adventure.

The thing I remember most was when we came into Fairbanks. There was a traffic light on a fourlane street. As we sat at the light waiting for green a dogsled pulled alongside. I'd never saw anything like that!!!

redlaker1

around here they use big auger pumps, either truck mounted or towed on skids, to flood the roads until there is enough ice. they are usually 18-24" diameter and drill the hole through, then they throttle up and auger the water up through the hole.

Northart

Ice road building ?

Auger up water ? Huh ! Never heard of that method. Do they do that in the center of the road or off to the side ?

How much ice is needed to go out for the 1st time with the auger ?

Any pictures ?

redlaker1

here are a few pictures of a company flooding the road and pads for diamond drills on the lake out in front of my house. this is a pretty slick setup. the one my friend uses for flooding ice roads is similar, but a bit smaller and on a small sleigh type setup so it can be towed behind a snowmachine or a quad, half ton or whatever. they usually drill right in the center of the road, and will be out there as soon as they can get the road plowed off, either with a pickup, or a groomer/snowcat

the third photo is of some sort of ice auger setup with a nozzle that I don't know anything about.

if you have any other questions about the ice roads and such around here I can try my best to answer them

Attachments

• P1240024.jpg
    P1240024.jpg
    44.4 KB · Views: 1,371
  • IMG_0635.jpg
    IMG_0635.jpg
    42.9 KB · Views: 1,477
  • IMG_0630.jpg
    IMG_0630.jpg
    26 KB · Views: 1,372

ovrszd

Occupation
Retired Army
ice road

The auger system would require less energy to flood the road than a water pump might. Down side would be the water isn't directed to any specific area, just allowed to puddle so more frequent holes with augers would be needed.

You know it's cold outside when the water augered up builds ice rather than melting the existing ice!!! ;)

King of Obsolete

Occupation
marketing my life style
those are bigice flood pumps made by a buddy of mine in flin flon manitoba. the greatest invention since sliced cheese.
the first picture is the best way to pull a machine out, up and out, very simple.

thansk
KoO
Published Author

redlaker1

how long has big ice been making those pumps? do they make the ones on skids that I have seen sigfussons using?

that small one looks like a handy unit

King of Obsolete

Occupation
marketing my life style
the pumps were first on the market in 2003 and they have been very popular since then. they are built in flin flon manitoba and the workmanship is unreal. even the shipping box is built with lots of craftmanship.

thansk
KoO
Published Author