• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Grizzly Trucks

diamondtguy

Occupation
machine fitter/fabricator
Just found out about this today..Might explain why my Grizzly videos on you tube are getting watched so much....https://www.hagerty.com/media/car-profiles/the-rare-mighty-grizzly-truck-is-canadas-unimog/

Welder Dave

I turned my phone on this morning and scrolled down through the stories on the net and there was the Hagerty article about Grizzlies and your knowledge about them. Need to convince the owners of the double cab to fix it or sell it to someone who will.

Welder Dave

Great article. It should had mentioned you were also a Pacific employee.
Great to see BC innovation getting some arttention.
Doug
I thought it a little odd that wasn't mentioned too considering Pacific was started by ex Hayes employee's. Sad to see all of these companies closed. They built some of the toughest trucks ever.

Will_M

Unfortunately no.

I've changed the injectors out, which was needed anyway, they were pretty dirty. That really helped with power, it's a different truck power wise but the ticking is still there.

I've listened all around the engine with a stethoscope, the ticking sounds loudest at the back of the engine, down low on the driver's side near the starter and around the front of the bell housing. I read if the starter isn't pulling the bendix back all the way that can cause ticking. I put a new starter on it too but no luck.

The odd thing about the ticking, when you first start it and the engine is cold, there's no tick. After it runs for about 30 seconds it comes back. If you lug it a little letting the clutch out the ticking goes away too. The truck runs great and has plenty of power but not being able to find the cause of the tick is worrying me.

I have it booked in to a different shop Wednesday morning for an alignment and to see if they can find it. If they can't I'm going to change the oil and see if it's making metal inside. I hope it doesn't come to it but it's looking like a compete rebuild might be in the near future. I'm too far in to it to not want to drive it for fear of what's causing the noise.

If anyone on here has any ideas, I'd sure be happy to hear them!

Welder Dave

Could it be something like the throwout bearing? That the ticking does go away in certain situations makes me think it isn't a serious problem

Hallback

Occupation
Gyppo tower logger
Did you guys look at the rods & mains while the engine was out of the truck or while you were rebuilding the truck?

Will_M

Only what could be seen when the oil pan and head were off. The engine was running fine at that point so we decided not to open it up any more than necessary. Everything that could be checked was tight, no play or slop at that time. When the clutch was changed the second time and the new flywheel was installed (after the ticking started) the output shaft at the back of the engine was still tight.

Will_M

I've run my hands all around it and tried to look with a flashlight when it's cold, I can't see anything.
The ticking sounds sharper than an exhaust leak. I tried to attach a video but it doesn't want to upload.

Former Wrench

Occupation
Retired
Not being at your place limits my trouble shooting ability. Here is something to ponder. The valves and pistons are operating about 17 times a second @ 2000 RPM and about 7 times a second @ 800 RPM. That is almost too fast to be able to distinguish a click. I'd look for something that is gear or belt driven that is not moving so fast if you are hear a distinct clicking. Just a thought that might not be worth a darn..

Will_M

Fair enough on both points but the noise does seem to be coming from the back of the engine, aside from the lift pump there's nothing back there that I can think of that's gear or belt driven.

It is a 12 valve, i have heard of the lift pump getting noisy. I put a new one on shortly after I got the truck (4 years and very few KM's ago) and listening to it with the stethoscope, the noise doesn't seem to be coming from the pump.
It is certainly louder down by the starter.

Thank you all for the ideas, keep them coming!

Truck Shop

Unless there is a bell/rear structure bolt that's backed out hitting flywheel, Had two 6NZ Cats that
happen to, found them snapped off laying in bell.