• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Grizzly Trucks

diamondtguy

Occupation
machine fitter/fabricator
Nothing yet. When I talked to the shop Friday afternoon they hadn't had a chance to look at it yet.
They're going to pull the oil filter off hopefully first thing tomorrow and see if it's making metal, then reassess from there.
Time to send the oil to finning and get it analyzed...

diamondtguy

Occupation
I used to go to Renegade and SIR with hope to see VanCleve. His 67 Fairlane 427 was
something to be reckoned with, always enjoyed watching that car launch.
View attachment 295250
VanCleve Jr has built another 427 Fairlane recently...Its turning mid 8's.The original Vancleve car is still around..

Former Wrench

Occupation
Retired
Anybody that's into classic Fords knows of VanCleve Ford in Morton. I grew up right next door to Jim and let me tell you, he had the baddest of the bad dudes!
Pantera, GT350s and 500, 63 1/2 Galaxie with a 427, Boss 302 and 429 cars, you name it he had every single one of the special edition cars that came out etc. He's been gone for over 20 years now and still holds numerous NHRA records.
In the day I had a couple of Fords with the 429 Thunderjet package. They were real "stump pullers." I know they had more HP than what was rated.

Truck Shop

429 Thunderjet package
Thunderjets-rated at 360 to 365 hp IIRC. Basically all 429 were Thunderjet's, there was a 2BBl and 4BBl
the 2 was 10.1 and the 4 was 11.1. Any other 429's were CJ, SCJ and Boss. The heads is where the real
difference laid. Thunderjets had 2.08 intakes, the SCJ was 2.50. with huge oval ports, you could fit a
jumbo egg into a SCJ intake port with room to spare. At one time I had 3 CJ and 3 SCJ core rebuildable
engines. But out of all the ford engines that had the most available HP with just bolt on was the
Cleveland.
Thunderjets made a great pickup engine just stock.

Crummy

A few years ago (like 40!) I was looking for a bellhousing for my mustang. Friend said "my brother probably has one".
We drove to Marysville, WA from Whidbey Island and his brother says "yeah, let's go look in the barn"
Huge dirt floor barn, FULL of Fords- one whole wall lined up with Boss 429's, some still jacked up, hood scoops, purple horny metal flake. Right when you walked in a Hertz Shelby, and I remember him showing us the Fairlane was a factory drag car because it was something like a 1/4 turn lock-to-lock steering.
He picked them up late 60's early 70's from NAS Whidbey sailors off to the war.

diamondtguy

Occupation
I have had the 427 in my Mustang for decades.I have been in a Boss 429,Hemi Cuda and dozens of 427 Corvettes..Corvettes are limited by their tire size...I would put 427 up against any of them on the street...

Welder Dave

I was recently reading about a rare Ford high performance engine. The SOHC "Cammer" 427 was outlawed by Nascar. It sounds like it would have knocked the 426 Hemi off it's pedestal as the most sought after high performance engine.

Last edited:

Will_M

I got an update today but unfortunately not the one I wanted.
Oil filter has metal in it so something is going on internally.
I guess it's time to start going down the road of pulling the engine and rebuilding, at least when it's done I'll know what I have.