• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Grousers on over tire tracks?

IceHole

Found some rebar in my woods. Small pile of 5-6ft lengths not far from the shop so maybe leftovers from the slab. Been there long enough to be entwined in brush and small trees.

Took me a while to wire wheel and cut them, but have one side almost done. Should finish it today if it doesn't keep snowing.

Was going to do shorter pieces or a pattern like a dozer, but realized the pads keep flexing and bending which is why the track tension is all over the place.
First one I did I just welded the ends and middle but decided to do full welds to help brace the pad and hopefully make up for the poor welds.
Wasn't able to 100% clean them, so I'm sure some if it is that.

1 piece across the pad mostly straightened them. Dunno if they'll stay straight.

Might ride a little smoother on hardpack, the rebarr will allow the pad to rotate along the tire without transferring as much to the machine.

20240409_180843.jpg

Welder Dave

The rebar should help quite a bit on slippery or frozen surfaces, like if there is solid ground under some mud. The rebar will grip much better than a smooth surface. Bottomless mud might bury the machine more.

IceHole

One side done and about 1/3 done on the other side. Used probably 6-7lbs of wire, had to run to the store and get another spool. Could have sworn i had one on hand but it's MIA.