• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Harris Blade/Raygo Giant

ovrszd

Occupation
Retired Army
Never saw anything like that!! I'll bet it's a hoot to operate!!! :)

pactractor

Occupation
Heavy Equip. owner
a guy in so cal had one made from a 651 I don't have any pics of it but Signs and Pinnick used to rent it from them.
And that one didn't have a moldboard it had dual sheepsfoot rollers for the rear wheels

Last edited:

Dug Overburden

Occupation
trucker
Signs & Pinnick Raygo Giant

In the late 1980's Signs & Pinnick actually bought an old Raygo giant at an auction in Lousiana & brought it to San Diego. Used it on one or two jobs & it did not work out. They put it up for sale & someone ended up buying it for the tires & they sold the rest for scrap to Grape Sales.

I'll bet Grape still had the two 8V71's & Allison Tansmissions sitting in his yard in Lakeside Ca. Grape is a "scrap steel" packrat!

Dug.

Attachments

• raygo%20giant[1].jpg
    raygo%20giant[1].jpg
    13.9 KB · Views: 3,694

Dug Overburden

Occupation
trucker
651 compactor

Pactractor, are you refering to "Franken-Stomper" the hybred 651/5x5 compactor? I wrote about in another thread.

Dug
a guy in so cal had one made from a 651 I don't have any pics of it but Signs and Pinnick used to rent it from them.
And that one didn't have a moldboard it had dual sheepsfoot rollers for the rear wheels

Super Roel

Attachments

• Herschaalde kopie van Scannen0007.jpg
    Herschaalde kopie van Scannen0007.jpg
    198.8 KB · Views: 4,172
  • Herschaalde kopie van Scannen0008.jpg
    Herschaalde kopie van Scannen0008.jpg
    212.6 KB · Views: 3,849

Dug Overburden

Occupation
trucker
A lot of difference

Hi Super Roel, thanks for sharing the photos

By looking at the two photos, the original version is shorter & has a different way of mounting the moldboard. I believe the blade was fixed and the machine moving up and down adjusted the cut. Anyone know how many Raygo built & when they were produced?

Dug

machlove

Yes, Dug, my cousin Leslie operated the original Harris Blade for Gustfson Construction Company in the late 60's and early 70's in South Dakota, Gustafson Construction went out of business around 1978 or therabouts. I remember seeing it, but never with a full blade, mostly they used it for rough "trimming" on interstate highway construction.
Anyone seen or operated one of these, made out of old Euclid TS24's

View attachment 34857

View attachment 34858

RDG

Occupation
Multi skilled plant operator for 40+yrs
Over on the EMF forum and youtube there is some vids of the S18G which is similar but thats about all. Cheers RDG

loron51

I ran one at GCOS site in Fort McMurray Alberta in about 1971. 871 in front and back,it had all the rotten TS24 habits like weak steering etc.; You couldn't angle the blade enough to roll your dirt and it would duck walk at the drop of a hat, Steering wheel out of a ship, leaky controls with full hydraulic flow to keep the cab good and toasty. Worst machine I ever ran! It was sold< went to Pakistan and then baqck to Canada to a Sask owner and now rests at Devon in a heavy equipment society display.

Ductmaster

Look what I found. Was suppose to be moving dirt, but it was promised to a museum by someo0ne but got sold to this guy and now he is trying to keep it. Some misunderstanding over the sale. Everything is on site cab and blade just not assembeled after transporting. Could not believe I got to see one up close, very cool. Hope everything gets settled would love to see this work.1769.jpg1770.jpg1771.jpg1772.jpg1773.jpg

Last edited:

jxm7202

That blade sat at the Brookings Co landfill for many years. Halsteds also had two komatsu scrapers, I believe they were sold as a pair to a hutterite colony in central SD.