• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Has everyone got enough work?

jimmyjack

notice most guys saying its slow are on the east coast:( as for us im getting 55to60hrs a week so i guess we're not slow but its slow for most guys in this area to

atgreene

On my recent trip out west to get the 5500 home, I was impressed with the amount of construction in and around Wyoming area. Seems like the oil and mineral co's are hoping, if I were younger and not tied so hard to Maine, I might consider a move, at least temporarily.

JimBruce42

Occupation
operator
Well I've been getting 50+ hours all winter, but there is a catch.... I've been working in the quarries that the company i work for owns. I was hired and still technically am an operator for our dirt division. I have to agree with most of the other guys here in the east, things have been really slow. Word in the wind is things will be picking up soon (for us anyway), and I'll be back out in the field again:notworthy

Not saying that I don't appreciate that my company was able to find work for me throughout the year, I really have:usa That being said, I miss that smell of freshly dug up dirt, the sound of tracks clapping, and the idea of not getting up at 4am:drinkup :D

ForsytheBros.

enough work

Our projects are beginning to stack on top of each other due to heavy rains down in TX. We're a small outfit and thus low overhead, so hopefully we can ride out the storm (excuse pun). There's adequate work to bid.

Case in point on rain issue: Poured concrete topping in the am today on a drainage flume, finished flume, and concrete disappeared by 5:00 pm today while i'm standing in a ditch full of rushing water. Arrggghh! "Only" 30% chance of rain indeed! Literally money down the drain. More rain on the way.....

whithunter

Many companies around the Atlanta area are slower than normal as well. I thankfully have enough work to run me through the rest of this year.

Countryboy

Occupation
Load Out Tech. / Heavy Equipment Operator / Locomo
Welcome to HEF whithunter! :drinkup

digdeeper

We are booked until the end of the year. Our two 8K's are running 7 days a week and will have to until december to get done. I wish it would rain a little we could use a break.
Chris

DPete

digdeeper, What are you doing with those 8K's for so long? I've got a couple sittin around out here in Ca. DP

digdeeper

we use the 8k's for doing the bulk of our forrestry work. Such as double offset ripping, roll chopping, pulling a savanah plow, v blading, forrestry plowing, ect. I use them every now and then to move dirt for road building but this year the D7H's have been doing it b/c the D8K's are so tied up.
Chris

Dozer575

Banned
Occupation
Machinist and occasional pt Dozer oper
Forestry work? Like what? and how can a person land something like that?

DigDug

Were are slowing down on the resi work, but the commercial work seems to be strong. Theres just a little more risk and stress involved on the commercial. We just got a check last week from a commercial job we are working on . It was about 75 days late getting to us . Plus we found out yesterday from our bank that it bounced. ($155,000.) Talk about a fun time we are having this week scrambling for money.

DPete

Were are slowing down on the resi work, but the commercial work seems to be strong. Theres just a little more risk and stress involved on the commercial. We just got a check last week from a commercial job we are working on . It was about 75 days late getting to us . Plus we found out yesterday from our bank that it bounced. ($155,000.) Talk about a fun time we are having this week scrambling for money.
Man I hope they make that check good for ya. Gives me that sickening feeling just reading about it. DP

LowBoy

Occupation
Owner, Iron Mountain Iron & Equipment (Transport)
Man I hope they make that check good for ya. Gives me that sickening feeling just reading about it. DP

I don't envy you there. Been there too many times.Not for that big 'o sum, but when you need every dollar, anything you don't collect hurts.Hopefully you'll get it taken care of sooner than later.

DigDug

Thanks guys, as of today we still havent collected good funds from the contractor. They will hardly give us the time of day , and i get a little sicker as the days go by. I drove 900 miles yesterday to pay them a visit since they werent to good at taking my calls. I did get another check and a promise it was good. Time will tell. :drinkup

dayexco

as long as you drove the 900 miles...why didn't you grab the dude by the short hairs...go to his bank, and get it in cash? and if the bank said no, .....grab your cellphone and call the sheriff of that county?

murray83

Occupation
jack of all trades....master of none
I'm swamped with work to do,the owner just keeps finding jobs and lines them up,pay isn't that great but at least its a job and I'm the last to complain about that.

Have about 50 water line services to finish off he promised months ago,me and a labourer and a 310SG Deere and a ton of fuel,sweat and plenty of swearing ;)

LowBoy

Occupation
Owner, Iron Mountain Iron & Equipment (Transport)
Thanks guys, as of today we still havent collected good funds from the contractor. They will hardly give us the time of day , and i get a little sicker as the days go by. I drove 900 miles yesterday to pay them a visit since they werent to good at taking my calls. I did get another check and a promise it was good. Time will tell. :drinkup

Wow, that's a hike. If you don't mind me asking, what were you doing, subbing to an out-of-stater? If that's the case, it'll make you gun shy for the next one, I'll bet.