• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Has everyone got enough work?

Ford LT-9000

Banned
Occupation
Rolling around in the dirt
The work has dropped off around here I think some of the contractors will be getting a little nervous. The 10 grand a month equipment payments don't stop and with the work drying up quickly things might be repo man time.

Homeowners are not paying their bills or really slow or really late paying the conctractors are suffering. The contractors really thought this boom would continue so they bought new dump trucks and excavators. Probably not the best move.

One of the seasoned land developers said to me this boom is going to hurt it is moving too fast. He also figured this year would be 2007 it ends and he was right. He has seen all the building booms none were this long but none of them moved this quickly.

Really the only thing going now in this area is Alberta based developers they keep building but they are not selling anything. So the houses they are building are going to sit empty. Their dreams of selling them for 1 to 2 million dollars is going to flop. Condo developements are too over priced for most people so they will sit empty. Developers already tried condos 10 years ago they sat empty for so long they rotted and had to be torn down.

The greed for money has blinded too many people now its starting to backfire :roll

DigDug

Wow, that's a hike. If you don't mind me asking, what were you doing, subbing to an out-of-stater? If that's the case, it'll make you gun shy for the next one, I'll bet.

Ya from my shop in Maine to Syracuse New York. Yes , we are doing the excavation work for a new Rite Aid pharmacy in Portland Maine. The general contractor is from New York.
Thats about as far as i have traveled to collect a check. In years past we have been south to collect from companies in Massachusetts and Conneticut. :drinkup

CascadeScaper

Occupation
2nd year Operating Engineer Apprentice
Collecting money is something I've obtained somewhat of a skill for. I used to mow lawns back in high school and if someone didn't pay there was no calling on the phone, I'd be there with my truck blocking the driveway until I got paid. I never had an issue with a check bouncing, but that must suck, especially for $155K.

jmac

Dig Dug, small world! I have quoted about 5 or 6 new Rite Aid stores for a GC out of Syracuse. They have never given me the contract but I bet I know who they are, they are famous for slow pay or no Pay! I live in the Utica area about 50 miles east of Syracuse.

Last edited by a moderator:

DigDug

JMAC , i pm'ed you back. I shouldnt say who the contractor is yet. But.... has anyone else here worked for the contractor you mentioned? Jmac , have you done any rite aids? thanks doug

atgreene

Hope it all works out for ya DigDug. I go by that new store (I assume the new one at Allen and Wash. Ave.?) on a regular basis with the engine.

I did have one customer cancel or postpone a septic/frostwall, I think he thought my price was high. Had another think that %k for a water front restoration and reclamation project was high :beatsme :confused: :eek: . I explained to him that there was $1500 in reloam and seeding the lawn, he seemed surprised at that as well, so to heck with him.

I met with a regular customer today who wants a 500' road in the spring, and later next summer a small addition to his house and a 3 car garage, so next summer is filling up quick.

Good luck to you guys that have slowed down, things will change soon enough.