• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Help me buy a truck, please!

Drag racer

I posted about a Silverado a few days ago but I think I need to make a more general truck buying thread, as I see options available. I know you guys have huge knowledge of what engines are good and the like so I'm hoping you can help me, if I ever buy a truck. I'm also considering either selling my car for a truck or getting a truck for the kids that I can swipe for a hardware store run or whatever. Here's the latest:

1987 dodge ram, in beautiful shape, 6 cylinder, 9500 bucks, 87000 miles.

Buy what you want everyone has different ideas.

1693TA

Occupation
FAA Radar Engineer, (Retired)
I still drive my 96 Dodge one ton with three fish plates welded to the frame to strengthen, or reinforce the frame cracks. Getting too thin to drive much longer so may purchase something cheap and repower with my existing truck as a donor.

Son in law seen a very clean 2001, or 2002 diesel Excursion yesterday and sent me a phone number from the window this afternoon. Going to call on it as the phone number is a Florida prefix and the vehicle appears rust free from the photos. Fixed a lot of these when popular and kinda liked the truck based platform.

I can't justify the cost of something new, or late model these days.

Truck Shop

Better off with injection, unless one can find someone who understands a carb.
The 5 dollar gas hasn't detoured many, maybe with some luck it will hit 7. Then
people will be building a pickup out of a 98 Civic.:)

aighead

It's seems as though there are cheaper vehicles out there but I haven't looked much beyond locally, where there isn't.

I don't care about the real classic truck at all. I'd love to have a neat old truck in great shape but then I wouldn't want to use it. What I've started considering (and it's making me really regret scrapping my 1987 f250) is a truck that looks terrible, but solid, and swapping pretty much everything out for new. Maybe I should consider stuff from farther away. I'd love to daily an old beater but I want to be able to really daily it and not worry about it breaking down all the time.

I don't have the time or skill to do all the work, but I may have the money to pay someone to do it... I guess it would depend on the initial price. I'd have to keep my car around while the work was getting done.

cuttin edge

Occupation
Finish grader operator
I have been and probably always will be a Ford man. Even though my 2013 F150 is rusting like crazy, if I could a Ford it, I would probably get another. If you want something dependable, do some research, and buy a Toyota Tundra. There are certain years to avoid, but they are pretty reliable, and have a V8. Only way I could ever get an 80s truck would be to park it in winter. They had a Toyota truck at work. It got into a wreck and they got rid of it. It had one of those little boxes for rust. The only rust on the thing was the rear bumper, and the little wire was broke off that had something to do with the little box.

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Running what I brung and taking what I win
What's this rust you guys speak of? ;)

I have a 2001 F250 7.3 extended cab bought new that other than needed a paint job (original) it's in great shape - body panels and all.

cfherrman

I saw a 1995-ish service body Ford with a straight 6-300 in Kansas I was thinking about buying. I don't really need another truck but it was cheap enough and I would love to have a 300 over the 351 I drive now. Was only around $5k.

There is a 300 manual 4x4 I think it was a 89, doesn't run but did that Id love to get my daughter for $1200. Kansas

cuttin edge

Occupation
Finish grader operator
What's this rust you guys speak of? ;)

I have a 2001 F250 7.3 extended cab bought new that other than needed a paint job (original) it's in great shape - body panels and all.
I think the junk yards in the southern states make a killing on truck boxes shipped to Canada. A Florida box to fit my 96 F150 is $3000. This a rust free box, but might be beat up and need work. I don't know what the junkers charge for them, but by the time they get here, the sellers make a mint.

mowingman

Occupation
Retired
I think the junk yards in the southern states make a killing on truck boxes shipped to Canada. A Florida box to fit my 96 F150 is $3000. This a rust free box, but might be beat up and need work. I don't know what the junkers charge for them, but by the time they get here, the sellers make a mint.
Yes, pickup beds sell real well. Before moving from Texas, I did some driving for a used truck sales operation. They had picked up 45, 8', Ford pickup beds for late model F250's. They resold the whole lot to a wrecking /parts yard in the Ft. Worth area for quite a bit of money. I loaded and delivered all 45 of them to that place, and was paid a very nice sum of money for my time, using their equipment. The guy at the junkyard told me he would have them all sold up north in about 2 months.

joe--h

I have an 06 Silverado work truck with 50,000 miles I'll sell you for $7K. Bit of a drive for you though.

Joe H

aighead

Man, I'd love to come out to Utah again and get it! I'm looking at a picture of Arches on my second monitor right now!

If you are serious, and the gurus here say it's a good truck, I'd consider having it shipped or driven back here.

1693TA

Occupation
FAA Radar Engineer, (Retired)
The 6.0ltr engine, (V8) was a bit hard on fuel and some tended to leak coolant, but overall were very reliable. Coil misfirings were common for a spell also and best to replace all at once when servicing.