• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

How much to reseal some cylinders?

Welder Dave

The bucket pins and loader boom pins on my 931B say those pivots can go 50 hours but that's assuming the seals remain in good condition. I grease more often because I don't think the seals are in great condition.

1693TA

Occupation
FAA Radar Engineer, (Retired)
Lift has been on a jobsite for almost a week doing tree work and all hydraulic functions cycled several times. Still dry as looked at it yesterday. Axles have not been pulled back in so the cylinder that spreads, and retracts these has not been cycled. Once the lift is back at the shop this cylinder will be sent in for rebuild as will the master basket level cylinder and then it will truly be "dry".

I was wanting to get these cylinder leaks addressed before it went anyplace to maintain momentum, but the chance to recoup expenses presented itself so taking advantage of that opportunity.

Sure is nice to not have oil dripping from it everywhere too.

aighead

Done and done. There'll still be some water in the hydraulic fluid, I didn't do a real flush just a good tank sucking, and put the cylinders back on.

I did something dumb on Thursday, and injured myself, but was determined to get the machine operational and it is.

I'm confident that I can now at least remove a cylinder to take it to a shop, should I ever need to and the hard ones are now done, so hopefully I won't need to do those again, at least for years and years.

Took me and my buddy about 4 hours to get everything back together. Would have been 2 or 3 had I been in full health but I'm moving very slow.

About effing time, now that can get back to using it!

Welder Dave

It's very hard on the body to try and fix things when you're aching and in pain before you even start. You want to get things done and it can be hard to get help when you need it. Also who wants to work on messy and/or heavy hydraulics. I'm pretty stiff and sore today after a few hours taking a hyd. valve out yesterday. It will take at least a few days to recover. I'm glad I got it out so it can get fixed but not looking forward to putting it back in.

1693TA

Occupation
Sorry to keep cabbaging onto Aighead's thread but the lift is now selling itself. Two individual neighbors are going to rent it separately to clean up after recent storm damage. They are close enough it can be driven rather than hauled.

Maybe I won't see it for a while yet?

aighead

I agree with Dave, if you can pay off the repairs quickly with rentals, where your machine comes back as it was that's a huge win! I'd need to bury a lot of neighbors horses to make up my difference.

1693TA

Occupation
Thanks guys. I don't think this will be a problem. Both additional parties have experience with aerial platforms in their past. Mine just happens to be across and down the road a few hundred feet so no transport costs incurred.

We had high winds last week that took down power poles and stripped a few buildings of their sheeting, along with tree damage. Kind of the right place at the right time for this lift I suppose.

It has also garnered another job resealing cylinders in another lift. This one is a Condor brand and a 42' articulated type. It leaks profusely from two cylinders. I don't know the gent owning it other than a local landlord of several rental properties around here. He seen mine in the drive and inquired if I'd be willing to work with his. Noticing mine now gone, he asked if I was still interested so it should show up at the shop in the next couple of days. No idea what I'm getting into with this one as haven't seen it. This is not his but the same model:

Last edited: