• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

How much to reseal some cylinders?

aighead

Yeah, I feel pretty similarly. Not to mention my squeaky wheel wife who is starting to get aggravated.

Welder Dave

Sometimes that actually works. We bought a cordless drill at an auction that had the wrong battery. I called and asked if we could exchange it for the right battery and they said there must have been a mix up but sorry you can't exchange it. Really? My partner talked to them and in kind of a nice way but forceful explained the situation not really giving them an option to say no without looking like total shysters. They exchanged the battery. It didn't last long but did work for a while. We will never go to that auction again though because they sell absolute junk and don't tell anyone or let you try things out. They were selling returned items from Sears. They were selling some wet/dry vacuums and we were bidding on one. Top bidder only wanted 1 as did the 2nd bidder. Then they asked us and we said we'd take the one sitting on the side of the stage, instead of one in the back. They hummed and a hawed and seemed very reluctant. We said that's the same brand why can't we have that one? Then they said OK. Very suspect. We were lucky the only thing wrong was a little piece of plastic on the filter holder was broken. Simple enough to glue the piece back on and no other issues. This is where we figured out they were selling returned broken items. Wondering what was wrong with the other vacuums??? Really really shady outfit ripping people off. They had a Hummer they used for advertising. No morals at all just slim shady shysters.

Last edited:

aighead

Welp, this has gone, at this point, poorly.

No word from my guy in a couple weeks, and I'm really hoping the cylinder rebuild really happened. I'm going to start buying supplies for the hydraulic flush and get started on that over the next few days/weeks and we'll see how it goes. I theoretically have his home address if the cylinders are no good...

Welder Dave

I think it's at a point where you give the shop an ultimatum, they finish the job or you pick up the cylinder and they refund any money you've paid. It's beyond ridiculous how long it's been.

Willie B

Occupation
Electrician
I'm usually the voice of tolerance. It is time to figure out what is happening. Go to him, large club in hand. In a non threatening way, tell him you have come for your cylinders. Assure him you will pay him what he is owed the minute you know they have been properly repaired.
You can take it from here. We'll talk you through it.

Welder Dave

It sounds like maybe the shop took on work they don't know how to do or can't do. It shouldn't have taken more that a couple weeks at the most.

aighead

The good news is I have the cylinders, but part of the deal was him coming to put them back on too. Once it was determined that he wouldn't warranty the repair unless I flushed the hydraulics (lots of water in the oil) that is where we sit now. I was going to trade him a scrap car I had for a better deal on helping flush, but I'll assume that offer is no longer any good (the benefit for me being his less expensive oil costs), especially since I scrapped the car last Friday. By hoping the cylinder rebuild really happened, from my post above, they've been returned and they look, externally, nicer than when they left. I've got to think that he did do a reseal.

I'm chalking it up to a lesson poorly learned, and I'll do the work from here. I'm pretty confident with what I've got to do, just need the money and time to do it. The other sucky part is the guy seemed knowledgeable, and could teach me some hands on stuff. Even though his prices were high I could have seen sending him more (and more appropriate) work. Maybe it just wasn't worth it for him. Whatever.

HarleyHappy

Occupation
Welder/Mechanic
Not too sure why you’re hung up on the fluid change.
Milky fluid is not going to hurt the cylinders.
I would just put them on and run the crap outta it.

aighead

I guess I'm just attempting to be safe rather than sorry. I'd like to have a good running machine that is running on the fluid it's supposed to, and now that it is stored inside I may as well get as good a fresh start as I can with it.

Delmer

Water certainly can and will hurt everything eventually. But look at how long it took to get that much water, it's not an emergency to get dry fluid in there. There are cheaper/easier ways to dry the oil out than flushing it.

Welder Dave

I thought nothing at all had been done. I would think if you drained as much fluid as possible by disconnecting hoses and then filling up with new fluid the dilution ratio would be very low. Maybe run the new fluid in the system through a filter cart. If you already paid for him to install the cylinders either ask for your money back or get him to install them. If the cylinders were done right there shouldn't be any issues with new fluid.

aighead

Thanks guys. The plan is to drain is as best I can. It probably won't be completely perfect but better than what I currently have. I really appreciate all y'alls opinions and comments.

Is there a good place to buy an assortment of hose fitting o-rings? I typically buy my replacement hoses from a local Parker store, is that my best bet? I may be inclined to change the o-rings when I flush the hydraulic fluid. Waste of time and money? Any special type of o-ring I should be looking for?

Last edited:

Willie B

Occupation
Electrician
High quality oils like Hy-Tran from Case have additives to hold small amounts of water in suspension. Others have none of these particular additives. Water will settle out & form ice in winter, rust in summer.

I bought a IH 385 utility tractor that had been 4' deep in a pond. No evidence of water in the engine oil, but hydraulics were very contaminated. I changed oil repeatedly, & got it out of the hydraulics to the extent it functioned, but never cleared the brakes. I ended up taking it to a small farm machinery dealer/mechanic. They did a major tear down & cleaned it up, new seals & filters. Later, I complained it didn't steer well at low engine speed. Ended up replacing the hydraulic pump.

Looking back down that adventure, I'd have passed on that purchase, but now I have a nice tractor.

HarleyHappy

Occupation
Welder/Mechanic
I have the same machine and they are all JIC’s on the hoses.
I bought a JIC kit of Amazon.
I have milky fluid and need to change some more seals but have just been running it as it seems to get better the more I run it.
More than likely I will replace as much of the hydraulic fluid as possible when ALL the seals are done.

Vetech63

" I got some ocean front propertyyyyyyy in ARRR IIII ZZZona AAAAAAHHHHHH.............." I was too dumb this morning to figure out how to link the video.

Sorry about your unfortunate luck with this endeavor