• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

How not to do something

Welder Dave

Here is an example of someone doing a half a$$ job and figuring it's good enough. About 4 1/2 years ago we had to have a new water heater put in for insurance reasons. Last Thursday we heard a hissing sound coming from it. I did some checking and figured it was the plastic drain valve. Apparently they are notorious for leaking. I shut the water off to the heater. I called a plumber/gas fitter we've used in the past. He didn't install the heater. He asked if I could drain the tank. Yeah, shouldn't be a problem. Boy was I wrong. There is even a garden hose coming up from the floor for draining the tank but I couldn't hook it up because the bozo who installed the tank had the drain valve partly blocked by the gas line. What a royal PIA trying to drain the 40 gallon tank. The new drain valve is brass and the plumber turned the tank so the hose can be hooked up. All he had to do was shorten one of the gas lines going to the union. Took less than 45 minutes from the time he showed up. This is a good reminder for anyone to take some pride in your work and do things right, even if it means you have to tweak something a little. It would have been so easy when the tank was first installed.

Attachments

• 20240328_175119.jpg
    20240328_175119.jpg
    908.7 KB · Views: 75
  • 20240328_175155.jpg
    20240328_175155.jpg
    835 KB · Views: 72
  • 20240401_115421.jpg
    20240401_115421.jpg
    996.5 KB · Views: 71

skyking1

After that dries out i would put in one of those battery powered detectors. It's just a little cord that lays in there and if any moisture gets on it at all it will go. Beep beep beep. That could save a lot of misery. I have one under the kitchen sink and in the water heater pan. I did the kitchen sink because things get knocked off down there in that space. I have pull out recycling and garbage drawers and one of the traps could get loose. I also lined that space with vinyl flooring and wrapped it up the walls and caulked it so that a small leak will never go anywhere.

Welder Dave

I'll look into one. The plumber said the box store heaters come with plastic drain valves but the ones he gets wholesale come with brass drain valves. He doesn't think we will have any more issues with it. The plastic drain valve had a very slight crack in it. Thankfully once the pressure bled off, from turning the water off, it didn't leak. Would have been a heck of a mess if 40 gals. had leaked out.

Welder Dave

I was looking at that plug and was wondering if it might be for heat tapes under the floor. I'll put some duct tape over it for now.

Truck Shop

In these cases if I can't do it myself I have three people I can call that are above board.
I know a electrician in town that must be a clone of Willie B, he's the guy I call.

56wrench

Those drain pans with a nipple on the side work well under a hot water heater to catch any leaks. A hose on the nipple can run to a floor drain or down under the floor to the crawl space

cfherrman

When I diy something I buy extra fittings and then keep them after, I've done a couple jobs without going to the store.

I put my water heater in a livestock tub but I still haven't plumbed the drain pipe to the floor drain.

I'm not worried about the 50 gallons that's in the water heater I'm worried about the water that comes after it. I typically shut my well off when I leave the house for a while day or more

HarleyHappy

Occupation
Welder/Mechanic
When I put in my last propane water heater I put in a 12 volt shut off, wired to a Floodmaster sensor that sits in the drain pan.
If the probe gets wet, it shuts off the valve and beeps.
It does work.
If that fitting cracked, more than likely you will be replacing that water heater soon.
Just the way it is.
Water heaters hate being moved or jostled as the coils hate oxygen.
Good luck.

Welder Dave

The plastic drain valves are known to leak a lot. There's nothing else wrong with the tank. The guy that fixed it said it should be good for another 5 years as 10 years is the usual lifespan of a water heater. He only turned it about 2 inches and that was with it shut off and empty.

colson04

The plastic drain valves are known to leak a lot. There's nothing else wrong with the tank. The guy that fixed it said it should be good for another 5 years as 10 years is the usual lifespan of a water heater. He only turned it about 2 inches and that was with it shut off and empty.
Only 10 years? I guess I'm pretty fortunate then.

I was given a used 80 gallon water heater when I built my house 8 years ago. I replaced both thermostats, both heating elements (electric water heater), and the magnesium rod when I put it into service. I really don't know how old it is. It sure is nice to be able to wash laundry, do the dishes, and run both showers in the evening with a family of five and never run out of hot water.

Welder Dave

I think 10 years is for a basic residential water heater. The larger commercial ones will last longer. We only replaced it because we couldn't get insurance if we didn't replace it. The old one was a lot more than 10 years old. I think it's kind of like maintenance on equipment. It can last longer but do you want to take a chance it fails after the recommended replacement period. Had an old water heater explode at a former residence and what a mess.

92U 3406

Occupation
Wrench Bender
My rule of thumb is I do absolutely everything myself unless its outside my skillset or its a bigger job that can't wait for me to pick away at it over a few months.

Camshawn

Occupation
retired
Our hot water tank is on borrowed time for sure, 27 yrs old now. It has a vinyl pan and drain hose. I will change it out one day and add a steel pan under it. I will also look at those water detectors next time I go to HD or Lowes.

Jimothy

Occupation
Digger
We had installed a manhole down 5-6 meters extremely complex in terms of the amount of pipe and what that manhole was designed to do. Probably took over a month to install. We had finally finished everything and backfilled to the top. Next day popped the lid and noticed water in bottom of this water tight manhole…

There was 1 piece of rubber at the bottom about an inch long and an inch thick that was backwards. The cheapest thing on the entire job and it was pointing the wrong way. Took five guys a full day to get down there and build it back up again.

It’s a crazy world do it right the first time! :)

Truck Shop

Lets see--been in this house since 97 replaced water heater with a gas one in 99.
Replaced that one two years ago. Fridge is 17 years old, dishwasher 15, everything
else is recent-------oh-coffee maker is two weeks old. :) the important item.

Welder Dave

I'm not sure what wears out in a water heater or if using hot water more often plays a roll in the lifespan??