• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

How not to do something

Welder Dave

Yeah, I think a lot depends on the water supply. Some places they recommend draining the sediment and any build up every year. The guy said I don't need to here.

Old Doug

The one in this house is over 20 years old . It has never work like it should probably a thermostat problem. There is a new one sitting beside it when I get the time .

HarleyHappy

Occupation
Welder/Mechanic
I'm not sure what wears out in a water heater or if using hot water more often plays a roll in the lifespan??
All water heaters life span is directly related to the water they are heating.
The difference minerals in the water cause different issues.
If you have hard water or introduce lots of oxygen, the liners rot, just like a truck frame rusting.
10 years for most water heaters is good.
Some will go 25 years, some will go 3.
Everytime you drain them and move them, the minerals slosh around and allow air, oxygen to get another surface to rot.

stinky64

Occupation
big truck wrench/fixer of things
Electric heating elements need to be immersed all the time. Hot water tanks, hot tubes, water bath heaters, keeping them emersed seems to prolong there life
I've been in my house for 28 years, the electric water heater was old when I moved in. Lots of variables including quality of materials when built and water quality. I've got spring water so lots of minerals, there's a thick white streak all the way down the side of the tank below the relief valve that has always been there as well. Have had a new replacement tank in my shop for about 10 yrs. for when the old beast finally does puke but it keeps on tickin'. After this post it'll probably $hit the bed tonight.

92U 3406

Occupation
Wrench Bender
I was told 8 years was average for my area. My tank was pretty new when I moved in, we'll see how long it goes.

Tyler d4c

We have a 2 or 3 gallon water heated in the shop with a bronze tank. I remember dad changing out a element once. I have no idea it's age but it's been doing its thing as long as I known it. It's probably from the 70s (old) can you buy ones with a tank other then steel or plastic

Truck Shop

Even block heaters have to oriented the right way so they are fully immersed.
Which reminds me of a funny story that floated through the shops in my old home town.
Customer buys a new 1989 Chevy 4x4 Z1 or what ever those were dubbed. Wants the dealer
to install a block heater-soft plug type. So the new young guy on the lube rack ended up with
the installation. He was told which soft plug and how to do it. Story goes he finished, but
the radiator just wouldn't stay topped up. Customer picked out another new rig, he didn't
want one that needed a engine swap before he drove it. --He was told to drill a small hole
install screw use vise grips on screw to pull soft plug, he just kept drilling--through cylinder
wall.

Truck Shop

If the public only knew of the crazy a$$ screw ups committed in dealer plus independent shops.
Kid at VW dealer {new hire} was told to wash a year old Champaign Edition Rabbit inside & out,
he did alright----the headliner was hanging down to the seat full of water. Cornwell tool guy carried
a camera and got a photo of it.

Welder Dave

That's one thing I've been reading about newer electronic engines. Don't hit them with a pressure washer. Too many wire connectors and other places for water to get into and wreak havoc.

56wrench

Had a customer phone in once. He had an old Ford 200 6cyl and twisted off one of the water pump bolts. Drilled it out but drilled right through into the cylinder. He asks, now what? I knew they would not spend any money on it, so i said put some sealer on the threads and run it. I never heard back. Most of their vehicles and equipment was held together with barb wire

Truck Shop

Years ago--first employer, about blind as a bat, working on a Fiat 124 Spider. Couldn't
see what he was looking at, moving the trouble light around in front of his eyes while
engine running--fan grabs cord rips light out of his hand and rips cord from plug in
and neatly winds it all up in a ball on the water pump.