• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

I gave notice about starting my pension today!

skyking1

It was a very long day, I pushed through to finish a job ahead of the weather.
The boss was working late himself, and came out to offer a cup of coffee before i started home.
It just seemed like the right time to broach the subject.
The work has dried up greatly, and I have been making hours out of thin air sometimes. I explained that the pension is about 2 weeks pay, and I can work 50 hours while collecting it.
He was actually quite pleased that it would take some overhead off the books and still have me as their operator. We did not discuss a final date for the clean break, but I think he knows when the new house is done, so am I.
I set the date for the pension as May 1, and I will work full time the next two months to get as many hours in the pension and medical coverage.

Camshawn

Occupation
retired
Best thing I ever did. Hope it works out as well for you. I was able to start having coffee with my wife before work in the last year of work and we continue that to this day. Still get up at 5 most days. Now we don’t rush to get out the door Unless we want to.

IceHole

My Dad vaguely mentioned thinking about it one day. Next thing I know a month later he was having a retirement shing ding. 38 years at the mill. Started a few months after it opened in 83 and was the 2nd most tenured employee there. His boss, now the plant manager was #1, started a week before him.

Oxbow

Congratulations Skyking! I can't see what retirement looks like yet. I need about four years to get all equipment paid for so I can turn it over to the crew.