• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

I gave notice about starting my pension today!

Tinkerer

Congratulations SkyKing1 !!
I hope you didn't wait till you are 65.
It is scary how fast retirement years pass.:(

I am really looking forward to it someday. I hope i make it that far . Its hard to understand people that dont retire.
Some can't afford to.
I had a BIL that worked until he died at the age 82. He was quite wealthy, but loved what he did (farmer).
Another BIL is 82. He was an Operating Engineer and retired at 65. He owns two farms and rents a couple more. He is still farming them.

Old Doug

Congratulations SkyKing1 !!
I hope you didn't wait till you are 65.
It is scary how fast retirement years pass.:(

Some can't afford to.
I had a BIL that worked until he died at the age 82. He was quite wealthy, but loved what he did (farmer).
Another BIL is 82. He was an Operating Engineer and retired at 65. He owns two farms and rents a couple more. He is still farming them.
I guess if you had some kind of a low stress job. I havnt had too many of those i guess if i cared less i would have less stress.

skyking1

@Tinkerer I am 63 and change. I originally set the same month last year, but then I had the two carpal tunnel surgeries and we figured to get the new house going before pulling the plug. We call it One More Year (OMY) on the retirement forum I go to.
It will be Two More Years in reality, but the last one is 50 hours a month tops. It is hard to step away from doing things like Tuesday's trench box work, but that is a fraction of the job.
When my employer's contribution to my medical starts getting wasted, I will go. That is probably a year from today. It takes ~128 hours of work to get a month of medical, and the bank will run out by then.

@mekanik welcome to the club. My brother is in North Vancouver and semi-retired too.

Thanks everybody. I appreciate it.

IceHole

My Mom retired last spring, figured they'd want to spend time visiting.

Seems like there was a better chance of that when they were both working.

I've heard every excuse from no one to mow their yard or water garden/plants, flight is too long, I don't have room for them, I'm busy.

Told them to latch the camper and make the trek then. May as well suggested for my Dad to do ballet.

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
Congrats and Welcome to Retirement, I could not stand it and ended up taking other work on to pass time easier, felt two pegs below worthless trying to be a Home Body. That has come to an end.

Wife is coming to that magic moment of retirement three years AT MOST and will shut it all down, she will be insane in a week. I have the Projects and the Farm stuff but body is beginning to note time to slack it up. Have not done much of anything to the Ford in three days allowing the Aches and Cuts to heal up some.

skyking1

I'll have plenty to do. My dad got me hooked on boatbuilding, and we are 15 minutes from John Wayne Marina. Boat launch annual fee is $100 a year.
The 1 ton will tow a big enough boat for us.
That gets me year round access to salt water fishing and crabbing.
The ferry to Victoria and Vancouver Island is 20 minutes away.

eastroad

I put a no-later-than date of May 20 on my “retirement”. I will be 80 then. We both started social security at 67 years, and I left the dealership two years later when I had a heart attack.
I have kept busy puttering on small jobs and diagnosis for several local farms and contractors, but no heavy work or extensive disassembly & repair. Kinda like “you get that outta there and I will guide you through the job”.
Probably clean out the crummmy and try to sell it. Just keep basic tools in the Jeep just in case. It’s been a long and interesting ride. Considering having a knee replaced, but being realistic about how much benefit I’ll get out of that in the time I have left. We‘ll see....
Oliver Durand

skyking1

I put a no-later-than date of May 20 on my “retirement”. I will be 80 then. We both started social security at 67 years, and I left the dealership two years later when I had a heart attack.
I have kept busy puttering on small jobs and diagnosis for several local farms and contractors, but no heavy work or extensive disassembly & repair. Kinda like “you get that outta there and I will guide you through the job”.
Probably clean out the crummmy and try to sell it. Just keep basic tools in the Jeep just in case. It’s been a long and interesting ride. Considering having a knee replaced, but being realistic about how much benefit I’ll get out of that in the time I have left. We‘ll see....
Oliver Durand
What does retirement mean to you, Oliver?
What it means to me is getting up any old morning, looking at the weather for the next few days in California or Montana and Idaho, and suggesting we hook up the trailer and go for a few days. No plan needed, just load up the trailer and go.

Project-man

Congratulations Skyking1......from some of the stories you have shared in your posts, I believe you have ice water running through you veins. I believe pilots are a breed of their own and to have successfully spent a career in aviation and retire from it is truly remarkable. It's kind of a contradiction considering the heavyequiptmentformum discusses all sorts of "heavy" equipment that crawls along guzzling gallons of diesel fuel......as a pilot and depending on your aircraft your plane uses highly refined aviation fuel, you probably cruise over 150 MPH, and the weight of your cargo and aircraft is extremely relevant as you prepare for each flight.

Enjoy your last few hours in the air and thanks again for the fantastic stories you have shared with us from the air.....

Knuckleduster

fingers crossed
Would you believe I have retired 2 times. First at 57 after 40 plus years as an electronics engineer--had enough--got itchy fingers 2 weeks later and opened up a business as aself employed house and commercial maintenance sole trader. Ran that for a number of years --no advertiseing--word of mouth recomendations--wanted 2 or 3 days to top up my works pension--that didn`t last--got to 6 days a week working and my son in law came home after a relationship break up--retrained him and bought him into business. Took on more work , bigger jobs and got really crazy. At 65 Decided to scale things down and passed over more of the business to the lad--needed some down time--Covid hit and after suffering a dose of the original strain was left short of energy,tired exhausted--decided to say i`m going to retire properly, passed everything over to the lad and he built it up even more. Now I can concentrate on the canals and my boat--which my wife bought me for my 65th birthday. Working around the canals make me feel better but still suffer from tiredness--get asked to do paid work--only if I can get the money invested in the canal society.

skyking1

@Knuckleduster I would love to volunteer on the canals, if they'd have a Yankee operator who came over a couple of weeks out of the year. They really struck a chord with me.
The natural streams for power and all the wildlife, cruising for the most part on the back sides of farms. All delightful.
Hard to say if Darling wife is down for all that, but she could stay home ;)
@thepumpguysc we appreciate you so much. Your job is different, you made a niche there.

I love my job and will miss it, but not on those days when they ask me to put gumbo back in the trenches and call it good.
I won't miss waking up in the night and hearing the rain, wondering how bad the site will be tomorrow.
I'm ready to move on from all that.