• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Insurance for single axle dump truck

Man with a plan

I'm thinking about buying a single axle dump truck to use as I'm trying to start an excavating company part time on the side at first then full time as work picks up. I am just wondering what others are paying for insurance for a single axle dump with air brakes and 33,000gvwr. Am I better off finding a local insurance company to work with or if anyone has a online/other insurance source that is better/cheaper than working with a local agent. Thanks in advance.

ToyLC

I have a S/A at 25k lbs no air brakes and I pay $500 a year which seems high to me and it’s not for hire, just personal use. Interested to hear what others are seeing as well.

AllDodge

Depends on what liability you get. My single dump for personal use only is 133 a year (Liability only, and 50 mile radius)

colson04

My S/A was $200 every 6 months, personal use only. Insurance agent needed empty weight of truck to get personal policy though as anything over 15,000 pounds automatically goes to commercial policy (what I was told).

hvy 1ton

I've been told some policies consider anything with dropsides a 'landscape truck' and not a dump truck which significantly lowers premiums.

Man with a plan

I got a quote from my erie insurance agent and for a 2000 Ford f650 dump with hyd. brakes under cdl that i was looking at and it was like 1200 dollars a year to be commercial for hire. I believe if I remember correctly erie wouldn't even insure it the policy they found me was through progressive insurance.

colson04

I had Auto-Owners for my truck, but they would not do a commercial policy. That's why the wanted empty weight of truck and had a strict 'not insured if used for hire' clause written in bold print on my policy. My agent did say I they had other places they could get a commercial policy through, but I never went that route.

PeterG

Occupation
Contractor
I have a 1990 International 4900 33,000GVW licensed in State of WA 38,000lb. Due to that size truck, or trucks for business over 15,000lb GVW, the vehicles are going to be considered commercial vehicles or just for farm use exempt. As I'm a business, with some other business equipment such as mini ecavators, trailers, track loaders, dingo, plate compactor, job box, etc all insured under the same company, I've been paying just under $500 a month. But that's with a 1990 one ton F450 landscape dump, the international and all the other equipment. I recently sold the F450, added a used 2007 Chevy 3500 service truck, and have a 2008 Kenworth T800 dump truck. Insurance is now around $1000.00 per month. The insurance is with Liberty Mutual. Regarding cost with the insurance, you need at min class B CDL and a class A CDL if you pull a 14GVW trailer or bigger commercial. I have a class A CDL. The rate may depend if you buy a new dump truck. I would suggest buying something old and fixing it up slowly and having it paid off, but you can also just get something workable in the $12,000 - $35,000 range with some nice trucks around $25,000. They may also ask what you are doing with the equipment. It cost more if you say you are excavating as they assume you are using full size trucks and a 25 ton excavator. Better to have a general contractor name or Landscape construction name
.Landscape Pick Up, LLC.jpg

mowingman

Occupation
Retired
If there is any way you can keep it classified as landscape use, it will cost less for insurance. I had two dump trucks that insurance classified as "landscape use". That is really what they were used for. Well, Progressive decided to reclassify them both out of the landscape category, and they became regular commercial dump trucks as far as they were concerned. Insurance went through the roof. I sold both trucks and retired from trucking altogether. Do not get insurance from Progressive, as they are a rip off.
Jeff

cw4Bray

I wouldn't get snapshot from progressiv . It might save you $ 30. every six months on insurance premiums, but it could cost you $200. on a new battery because of parasitic battery drain. There's more than one class action suit over damaged electrical systems due to their "snapshot" system. It's false economy in this case. A battery tender won't help either, if you need to replace an ECU or a alternator after their monitoring period.

Spud_Monkey

Occupation
Decommissioned
I have a 1990 International 4900 33,000GVW licensed in State of WA 38,000lb. Due to that size truck, or trucks for business over 15,000lb GVW, the vehicles are going to be considered commercial vehicles or just for farm use exempt. As I'm a business, with some other business equipment such as mini ecavators, trailers, track loaders, dingo, plate compactor, job box, etc all insured under the same company, I've been paying just under $500 a month. But that's with a 1990 one ton F450 landscape dump, the international and all the other equipment. I recently sold the F450, added a used 2007 Chevy 3500 service truck, and have a 2008 Kenworth T800 dump truck. Insurance is now around $1000.00 per month. The insurance is with Liberty Mutual. Regarding cost with the insurance, you need at min class B CDL and a class A CDL if you pull a 14GVW trailer or bigger commercial. I have a class A CDL. The rate may depend if you buy a new dump truck. I would suggest buying something old and fixing it up slowly and having it paid off, but you can also just get something workable in the $12,000 - $35,000 range with some nice trucks around $25,000. They may also ask what you are doing with the equipment. It cost more if you say you are excavating as they assume you are using full size trucks and a 25 ton excavator. Better to have a general contractor name or Landscape construction name
.View attachment 230776
I know Peoples Republic of Washington is raping you just with registration rates there and the zip code you are in. Left the place and my registration dropped $380 a year and that's after I went from 26k GVWR to 33k GVWR in Montana.
Anywho to contribute to this thread between my two personal owned rigs 86' S1900 International 33k GVWR and 94' Volvo WIA 50k GVWR is $188 a month through Stockmans insurance which goes through Progressive Commercial insurance.

Flat Thunder Channel

Keep in mind the limits of liability. The state typically mandates minimum coverages. Meaning the cheapest solution is usually a bare bones policy which doesn't provide much protection. If you are using it for hire make sure it is listed under an LLC. Also I would think about adding a balloon policy for the business. This can be obtained relatively cheap in comparison to vehicle policies and can be an addition cya policy.

Spud_Monkey

Occupation
Decommissioned
Keep in mind the limits of liability. The state typically mandates minimum coverages. Meaning the cheapest solution is usually a bare bones policy which doesn't provide much protection. If you are using it for hire make sure it is listed under an LLC. Also I would think about adding a balloon policy for the business. This can be obtained relatively cheap in comparison to vehicle policies and can be an addition cya policy.
Only thing to hit out here is cows, deer, pheasants and turkeys... not pot heads, Californians, drug addicts and protestors ;)

Flat Thunder Channel

I watch my policies closer since my sister is a lawyer. She knows how vicious they can get when attacking your funds. All my vehicle policies are at the upper if not maximum limits. If I performed any type of work for hire I would have a balloon policy too. They are pretty cheap and provide an extra layer of protection. Its a crazy world we live in these days.