• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Insurance for single axle dump truck

Andy1845c

Occupation
Electrician
I pay about $350/year for me S/A truck. More of a landscape bed than a gravel truck. Never was questioned much on that when I was getting quotes but was also careful never to call it a dump truck. My policy is for personal use and I am the only one that can drive it.
I don't recall what a for hire policy jumped to. It was quite a bit. The cost of truck insurance and liability insurance and insurance on any equipment in my eyes makes starting a legit legal side business in this industry kinda hard.

suladas

I watch my policies closer since my sister is a lawyer. She knows how vicious they can get when attacking your funds. All my vehicle policies are at the upper if not maximum limits. If I performed any type of work for hire I would have a balloon policy too. They are pretty cheap and provide an extra layer of protection. Its a crazy world we live in these days.

While you need to make sure you have proper insurance in place, the smartest thing is making sure you operate under a limited company, and that all your company assets are owned by a separate limited company. In case chit hits the fan and insurance won't cover everything, all your company assets are safe.

Raildudes dad

I pay about $350/year for me S/A truck. More of a landscape bed than a gravel truck. Never was questioned much on that when I was getting quotes but was also careful never to call it a dump truck. My policy is for personal use and I am the only one that can drive it.
I don't recall what a for hire policy jumped to. It was quite a bit. The cost of truck insurance and liability insurance and insurance on any equipment in my eyes makes starting a legit legal side business in this industry kinda hard.

You might be playing with fire. You have an incident and the insurance company finds out it's a dump truck and your insurance will be worth zilch. You could be sued for fraud. You are best off being up front with the insurance company.

Andy1845c

Occupation
Electrician
You might be playing with fire. You have an incident and the insurance company finds out it's a dump truck and your insurance will be worth zilch. You could be sued for fraud. You are best off being up front with the insurance company.

Its a flatbed with a knuckleboom and a hoist. Its NOT really a dump truck in the way most people think of a dump truck.

suladas

This is the exact reason why you email your broker for adding, changing, deleting coverage. For about 3 months my dump truck only had fire and theft on it because my broker isn't very bright (being very nice) but since in my email I clearly said plpd, fire, and theft I was covered, not only covered but I got the 3 months of plpd for free. IMO I would forward them a copy of the bill of sale, and honestly answer any questions they have beyond that. You don't need to outright say it's a dump truck. I can't say for sure my insurance company knows mine is a dump, my cheap rate says probably not I only pay $600 a year. But I provided them the bill of sale and answered any questions honestly. Insurance card just says make and model. They are the expert, it's not my job to tell them every little detail, nor does any paperwork say anything like "tractor" "dump truck" or anything of such for me to know it's not right. The only question they asked is if it's primary use is to pull my tag around, which is yes because it is.

Andy1845c

Occupation
Electrician
I can only assume that insurance tends to be more on a "dump truck" because the box on a typical "dump truck" isn't very handy for hauling anything other than loose aggregate and these materials tend to be what causes windshield damage on the highway? They must assume that most of the time the truck is on the road there will be loose rocks in the bed? I really can't see any other reason for hang ups with insuring a truck with a gravel box on it.
But I have also had to get a commercial policy to insure a 1-ton flat bed for personal use. Insurance companies don't always have real sound logic for things in my experience.