• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

JD 110 Backhoe question

Fleck421

Greetings
I bought a John Deere 110 Backhoe loader last year. I have 40 acres I tinker around on. My reasoning for the 110 was the integral backhoe and 3 point hitch option. The problem I have, or at least I think I have, is Ive never removed the backhoe but the 3 point upper arms seem to be disengaged. they move freely up and down by hand and the control lever is non responsive. And....the PTO switch doesnt engage the PTO. I see there is a 3point hydraulic `bypass engaged when the hoe is installed and Im praying that everything operates as it should when the hoe is removed.

Im reaching out to see if anyone can tell me anything about the bypass or about why the arms move freely and what Ill have to do to get the 3 point operational and PTO.

Thanks Folks!!

mg2361

Occupation
Equipment Mechanic
Welcome to HEF Fleck421;)!

If the backhoe is still on the machine, the 3 pt. hitch will not operate. There is a backhoe presence switch that will prevent the system from working when the B/H is mounted.

For the PTO, is the F5 fuse good?

Fleck421

I understand there is a bypass when the hoe is attached, but would that render the arms loose, as if theyre not engaged at all? I guess Ill find out when I take the hoe off...and Ill have to check that fuse. Thank you mg2361

mg2361

Occupation
Equipment Mechanic
The arms are loose because it has a single acting cylinder (pressurized on one side only), and when it is in the lowered position, the rest of the cylinder is filled with air. Being able to lift it is normal since you are only compressing air.

Fleck421

I removed the Hoe this weekend and the rocker arms work great!!! The PTO switch was seized. I removed it sprayed a bunch of contact cleaner on it, tested with meter and reinstalled....works great now.

My new quest is finding a 3 point hitch kit (lift arms, link arms, top link and sway chains). John Deere is a bust...everything for the 110 TLB is discontinued. It would be almost $3k to piece together a set from JD. Any suggestions where I can find a modern telescoping arm 3 point set up? Am I correct in thinking any cat 1 set up will fit?