• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

JD 450C Won't move Transmission Noise

5EFarms

I bought a 450C a few months ago and not to knowledgeable about dozer issues.
I get a loud grinding/noise when I put it in gear (especially reverse) and release clutch (have a video with sound). OK, so here is the progression:
- I had noticed a slight grind the day before at end of day. Fluid was very low so I added fluid the next morning. Dozing along fine, reversed and when put in forward wouldn't move. Engine would pull down slightly in low, more in reverse and high but no track movement of any kind.. The range shift sticks and is hard to change from 1 to 2, 3 or 4. H-L-R shifts fine as always done in short time I owned it. But I have just used 1st for my purposes.
= Checked linkages and all seems ok.
= Fluid level fine and clean
I did not run a pressure check.

- Went out today, and messed around with range into 2 or 3 gear and it moved forward and I stopped. Then had trouble getting it to go again. Finally got it going again, and heard it with a little grind. Put it under some strain on a brush pile and all of a sudden it started making noise from under seat area. Put in reverse and it made a god awful noise like popping. Put in forward again and made bad noise, Then stopped.

Any ideas guys? I don't even know where to start. I am hoping it is something easier than pulling tranny. Plus I am out in field. Sigh. Thanks much for any input. I certainly don't need a $10K paperweight in my pasture.

mg2361

Occupation
Equipment Mechanic
Welcome to HEF 5E;)! Post your video of the noise. Those dozers do normally have a bit of noise at low idle form underneath your seat. First thing I would do with or without noise is check the transmission pressure. The hydraulic and mechanical clutch adjustment is critical to the operation of those transmissions and is checked by checking the trans pressure. Is the noise near the bell housing or under your seat? You could have a clutch issue and the noise is just traveling through the frame work or trans torque tube.

Don k

Like mg said. Do the adjustments for the mechanical and hd. clutches and the pressures. I had a JD 450C. Those adjustments are critical for proper operation. And sometimes wear on linkages will not let you get the proper adjustments.

5EFarms

Thanks fellas for responding. I will need to do some reading in the service manual on pressure checks and clutch adjustments.
Yesterday, I tried to locate the noise. It sounds like it is coming from the area where the steering brake spools are under the seat. Of course, it is really hard to pinpoint exactly. The issue is in all range shift speeds.
Here is the video from the operator area. Well, it tells me the file is too large. About 5 seconds is to large?

Don k

Sounds ugly. Take out the lower screen for your transmission and H-L-R clutches. First drain the oil and see what comes out. To me it sounds like it is past adjusting but I hope I am wrong.

5EFarms

Crap! The sound is terrible. I will check everything you mentioned with fingers crossed. After looking at service manual, sounds like it is coming from the "ring gear and hub compartment". Can I take the top cover off that compartment and at least see if anything jumps out? Better still, would it benefit me to remove and look? I may have made a huge mistake buying the machine, and just lost a bunch of money. Thanks much for the input. If anything comes to mind, please let me know.

Don k

The cover next to the bell housing is for the H*L-R clutches. The next cover for the transmission. The two in the back on either side for the brakes and steering clutches. You will probably have to remove the fuel tank and other stuff on top to really get a good view of what is going on. It is really not that hard of a machine to work on. But please clean it up before opening up anything.

5EFarms

Oh yea, forgot to mention that the fluid is clean on the dipstick. I am pretty sure there is no water or trash in the fluid.
What is the probability that making adjustments, cleaning screen, and proper fluid pressure will solve the issue I am having? I would be thrilled if it did. However, logic is telling me this is not a pressure or clutch adjustment issue given the noise it is making, which sux. Any advice or ideas is most welcome. Thanks for your input.

mg2361

Occupation
Equipment Mechanic
Definitely not a clutch noise. Oil on the dipstick could be clean, all the big particles will be at the bottom and most likely in the screen. Drain that oil, look at what comes out when you do and then inspect the screen. Like Don said, not that hard to work on and definitely clean it up before disassembly. Also the cover behind the bell housing can be removed to view both the H-L-R transmission and the manual transmission. Operators station has to come off for the covers in the back over the ring gear and the steering clutches.

5EFarms

Thanks mg, Don, and Dave. I will clean, drain, and check screens. Was trying to avoid draining until I figured out if it is the ring and pinion as Dave mentioned (thanks Dave for ruining my day, just kidding), or something else. Why drain I decide to repair it. It's official, I am a huge sucker that pulled the trigger to quickly. Sigh! Will let you know what I find. Thanks again for pointing me in the right direction.