• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

John Deere 332G or 333G

JohnDeere332G

Hello everyone! I have a high hour unit serial number 1T332GKCJF324119. It’s a John Deere 332G skid steer. Had it parked outside in below freezing temps, plugged in block heater for 4 hours, fired up (slow and cold start) threw a few codes regarding “low voltage” that went away once charged, also threw a “DEF TEMPERATURE INVALID” code DCU 523630.02. After being in a warm shop and thawing everything, this code has not gone away (remains “active”) and has decidedly begun the countdown for engine derate.

My questions are:
1)is there a way to clear the code in an attempt to reset the DCU to try now that the unit is 65 degrees.

2) the only temperature sensor I’ve found is JD part number #MIU802945. This appears to go into one of the exhaust cans. Would this be the sensor?

3) Are there any code readers or computers that are somewhat affordable worth buying for this machine? It’s used for property maintenance. Good and strong but this is my first experience with a def related failure.

mg2361

Occupation
Equipment Mechanic
Does your machine have less than 3000 hrs on it? If so, according to your serial number, you have 66 days remaining on your emissions warranty. Double check with your local dealer.

DCU 523630.02 - Diesel exhaust fluid (DEF) tank temperature is not rising during defrosting.

That could be a lack of coolant flow due to a restriction in the cooling lines or a defective coolant control valve on the DEF header, which I believe is not replaceable, so a DEF header would be needed if that is defective.

JohnDeere332G

5100 hours on her folks… no warranty for me. So certainly not a temperature sensor on the “hot” side of things but on the def tank/fluid side of things?

mg2361

Occupation
Equipment Mechanic
a temperature sensor on the “hot” side of things but on the def tank/fluid side of things?
Coolant control valve possibly. Not necessarily a temperature a sensor. On cold start, see if the coolant lines on the DEF header get warm as the engine warms up. One should be warmer going in and the one coming out will be slightly cooler. If cold and does not change temperature, then you may have a coolant control solenoid issue. If the coolant lines to the header are warming up, you might have a temperature sensor always reading cold.

JohnDeere332G

Thank you all for the help. Mg2361, the coolant hoses warm up during idle, one cooler than the other as it circulates through the header immersed in def I assume.

I began tearing into it a little bit to determine what is at fault. Does anyone have experience with any John Deere def headers? I’d like to know if the plug connector that is plugged into the black box handles the temperature sensing of the def in the unit. If so, how would I test and read the OHMs to determine if the resistance is right AND does anyone know what the OHMs might be?

Red wire with key off shows 12 volts, all the others are dead. This is as far as I got.

I am not a large scale operation that can drop $1200 on a numbers specific header on a “maybe.” I found John Deere headers that look similar, are $350 and are one part number off, I’d be curious to see if anyone here knows if I could splice in that black box from a cheaper model def system to this one.

IMG_0443.jpegIMG_0442.jpegIMG_0444.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_0433.jpeg
    IMG_0433.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 2

mg2361

Occupation
Equipment Mechanic
the coolant hoses warm up during idle
Sounds like the temperature sensor is malfunctioning. The only way to confirm would be the someone with diagnostic software to plug in and read the temperature to actually confirm that the temp is not changing as the tank warms up.

There are no voltage measurements you can make. The sensors within the DEF header communicate their information through the "CAN" network. Header replacement is the only option for the sensors.