• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Junkyard's work thread.....maybe haha

Jakebreak

Occupation
operator/pipelayer/mechanic
nice color you need a to get a bigger shop then I can have your old one nice video. oh I wasn't able to find any serial numbers on those ripper shanks I have but I'm positive that you gave me the correct part number thanks I appreciate it now its time to find one that's reasonable on price

Junkyard

Occupation
Field Mechanic
Well I wasn't far off.....four machines wouldn't start. Two trucks gelled up and our bulk fuel was almost froze. It was pumping maybe 2 gallons an hour.....

I put my head down, bundled up and all is well now. Some fresh batteries, fresh filters, a little heat and some jumper cables and everything that's supposed to be out running and working today is. It's the first really cold stretch we've had in years. We would dip below freezing a night or two but it's very rare to be single digits for days. Sure found a lot of weak batteries and untreated fuel!

I had planned ahead on the haul truck, it got fresh batteries a few months ago as I felt like they were about trash. Started treating fuel last week when I heard the forecast. Plugged it in yesterday and she busted right off this morning. Several of our hands didn't plan that far ahead.

If'n it was me and I was the big boss.....foreman and I would have a little chat about preparing for weather like this. You can't foresee everything but not treating fuel and taking the time to plug some trucks in strikes me as a mental error. They just want me from the neck down though.....

kshansen

Occupation
Retired Mechanic in Stone Quarry
Might be over kill but where I worked any time there was a chance of temps near or below freezing I had anything that was parked outside plugged in every night. Very seldom had any that refused to fire right off. Some were a little sluggish to move due to cold oil and such.

I did not have any input on what fuel was purchased so once in a while had wax plugged filters, mostly in machines that were not used very much and still had summer fuel in the tank when the 0ºF temps hit.

Junkyard

Occupation
Field Mechanic
As many guys as there are living within 15 minutes of the hard it wouldn't have been hard to have one come plug stuff in. Ah well it's all handled now. Pretty rare for it to get this cold. Happening over a long weekend didn't help matters!

Junkyard

Occupation
Field Mechanic
Saw this today on the turnpike when I stopped to bump tires and check chains. It's kinda hard to tell, it's three pipes on top. Top middle is wedged in and only held by straps and a couple small chocks. No belly wrap, stop blocks or anything else. How they gonna unload it without somebody getting squashed! 10 straps total. 6 over all of it and 4 on the bottom only. Sure looks lousy to me!

IMG_9558.JPG

crane operator

Aw, if you've got a crane there to unload, throw some shakeout hooks on each end of that center one, put a little tension on it and then pull the straps. Only needed that one more piece to the jobsite, its not worth sending a extra truck guys.:)

Junkyard

Occupation
Field Mechanic
Aw, if you've got a crane there to unload, throw some shakeout hooks on each end of that center one, put a little tension on it and then pull the straps. Only needed that one more piece to the jobsite, its not worth sending a extra truck guys.:)

That's about the only way. But even then it's sketchy. I'm sure some bean counter made that questionable scenario a reality.

Junkyard

Occupation
Field Mechanic
Did a lot of driving this week. I was told Friday morning next week would be shop work.

Did a little side work yesterday. A car hauler friend of mine that parks at my shop needed some welding done on his rig plus an annual inspection. One post up by the hood had some nice cracks in it right where the clearance light is riveted in. Other was back on the trailer where on of the columns is with a screw in it. I drilled the cracks, opened them up a bit. Welded them, smoothed them out then stuck some fish plates on them. Nothin exciting. He even had paint mixed so you can hardly tell I was there!

IMG_9572.JPG IMG_9573.JPG IMG_9574.JPG IMG_9575.JPG

Junkyard

Occupation
Field Mechanic
Gee!, could they have cut anymore out of that column? Wonder why it cracked?

It was thin too, I'd say it would be measured by gauge, wasn't thick enough to be a fraction of an inch. That whole trailer setup is spooky to me. They all run on screws. Nothing sets down on something solid. It kinda rocks and rolls side to side. His old trailer was all hydraulic so you lifted, adjust and they sat down on safety locks. I have a feeling it'll be back for more work. I did a fair amount to his old one.

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
We had two car haulers units for service in the 90's at the old Independent shop I worked for used cars and trucks, had bought used equipment from the companies that hauled for Chrysler in Fenton. Were ALWAYS welding on something, fifth wheels scared me the most, dangling inches off the ground, DEEEP gouge scars on the shoe plate, a great deal of side and fore/aft thrust on the mounts, we fish plated the stringers on those more than once.

Junkyard

Occupation
Field Mechanic
We had two car haulers units for service in the 90's at the old Independent shop I worked for used cars and trucks, had bought used equipment from the companies that hauled for Chrysler in Fenton. Were ALWAYS welding on something, fifth wheels scared me the most, dangling inches off the ground, DEEEP gouge scars on the shoe plate, a great deal of side and fore/aft thrust on the mounts, we fish plated the stringers on those more than once.

I joke around with Steve that I don't need to charge him for parking as he keeps the yard graded for me!

kshansen

Occupation
Retired Mechanic in Stone Quarry
I joke around with Steve that I don't need to charge him for parking as he keeps the yard graded for me!
Reminds me of the time I saw a car hauler hung up trying to pull out of a side street in town on to the main drag. Not a big difference in height but sure as enough for him. Tractor jerking back and fourth and just smoking the drivers! Not sure how he got free might have called for "Big Red"https://www.bigredtowing.com/

Junkyard

Occupation
Field Mechanic
Serviced a LoDril yesterday. Pulled the radiator out of a Watson 2500 today. I think they built the entire machine around that radiator! Half a days work to get it out and about 100 #'s worth of hardware. When I was ready to boom it down an operator jumped on, fired it up and of course with no charge air cooler on it and lack of boost it smoked like a freight train and would darn near die. It sure rolled some coal!

IMG_9580.JPG IMG_9581.JPG IMG_9582.JPG

Junkyard

Occupation
Field Mechanic
They crammed a lot in a small package on the 2500. On the larger 3100 the motor and trans is offset out of machine centerline which affords a lot more room. Everything on a 2500 is inline. That still doesn't explain the complex arrangement of shroud, radiator and CAC mounts etc.