• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Junkyard's work thread.....maybe haha

d9gdon

I think the previous owner was a run-to-failure type. 3000 hours isn't a very long life for a pump so either they didn't get it clean last time or your bad cylinder loaded the system with trash. Either way, not going to be quick or easy.

I think you said that was a 74Z D11N, they replaced that pump 3 times in that series and it's been replaced with an altogether different one I guess. I didn't chase it through SIS but I didn't see a reman. I'm sure it subs to a new number. It makes me wonder if they didn't have some sort of problem with them.

I'm sure if you asked the dealer, that would be the first time they'd ever seen or heard of one of 'em giving any trouble though LOL.

rmllarue91

Occupation
field technician
Hey junk yard from them pics I don't see enough leakage to not lift the blade at half throttle what do the relief valves look like and what's the suction side of oil passages to that pump look like. She might be out of spec but your describing major leakage how hard is it to plumb a flow meter ( large one ) maybe would of been worth it to get someone to flow the pump ? I bet mikebramel? Might have some ideas

rmllarue91

Occupation
field technician
Id do my home work on this one keep looking for other sources of internal leakage or suction issue and if nothing else was found I'd be every familiar with system.so trouble shooting from that point is easy because When customer comes over after expensive parts have been installed and it's still not fixed I like to say we got that fixed and this is also bad vs telling them I don't know lol

Junkyard

Occupation
Field Mechanic
I'm digging deeper tomorrow. There was a lot of trash in the control valve too, mostly seal material and a few bits of metal. I haven't flushed the body of the valve yet, I got it tore most of the way down before I decided to call it a day. Lots of wear on every surface of the pump, the sleeves where the shafts run, the gears on one side are sharp enough to shave with. Tomorrow I'm going to pull hoses out, some are near failure so I might as well get them while its relatively easy. Current owner is a run to failure mindset too. I've gotten to the point I take a butt chewing for something proactive vs a failure. The small section of the pump didn't look terrible. It's marked 04/88 so it's hung in there! May have a pump found, waiting on a call back. I'm debating how deep to get into it. It's a months worth of work away from being done on this job and becoming a yard ornament for a year or so. He's leaving town and said "get it running good enough to work for a month". Threw me his credit card and said I might be gone 10 days, might be 30. It's for sure a pump, some hoses and depending on what the cost is maybe a run through the filter cart. Old that old nasty milky oil needs to come out I know that!

Trash from the pump and trash in the valve.

image.jpgimage.jpg

Junkyard

lantraxco

MMM, crunchy... I think that's supposed to be a 160 gallon pump, as rmllarue91 observed that pump should probably still be giving you enough to make it work, just slower maybe? As I said earlier it should be replaced, but I have been known to pull rabbits out of hats when they only needed the machine for "three days" Checked all the reliefs and cartridges all over for missing/blown O-rings right?

Junkyard

Occupation
Field Mechanic
It works as in the blade will go up and down. Once the oil is up to temp it's really slow and will not raise with any load on the blade. You have to stop, back out of the push and rev up to get it lifted. I haven't seen anything so far other than trash from the bad blade lift cylinders. I suppose it's possible that I have a combination of issues getting me low pressures and slow cycle times. Bad pump, bad oil, and a valve or two bypassing a bit spilling off what little flow I have with the worn pump. Like a friend said the other day, "It's a witch hunt now!"

Junkyard

Junkyard

Occupation
Field Mechanic
Found a pump for a later 11N, it uses an additional hose from the tank to help lube the bearings and thrust plate. Seems like a simple modification. Certainly the least expensive route. Cat wants $4,300 for a reman pump. Still debating and dreading the clean up process!

Junkyard

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
I saw that update. There is also another (later) update that uses an 227-9383 pump from the 11R in place of the 6E-5294 that was used on the 11N S/N 74Z1051-Up and which can be retrofitted to your machine by making the lube line upgrade you refer to.

To use the 227-9383 you still need to do the lube line upgrade. Refer to Service Mag SEPD0706 dated 27/10/2003. You also need to change the pump suction hose to suit the new pump Part Number.

Junkyard

Occupation
Field Mechanic
The 5294 is what I got along with the parts to make the retrofit. Found one from a place we get parts time to time. Price was reasonable. About 1/3 of what Cat wanted. Not sure when it arrives. Plenty to do in the meantime! I'm still pestering the bean counters for SIS and ET. They're about to buy another finish dozer which will almost certainly be a Cat. That would make three machines in need of ET in the event of an issue. Also discussing a skid steer and 8 ton excavator which may very well be Cat. Plus more darn dump trucks. Decided to go easy on myself today and service the one, adjust the clutch and do an annual inspection. My wife won't recognize me coming home clean!

Junkyard

Junkyard

Occupation
Field Mechanic
So much for clean. I good friend in the dump truck business needed help changing a rear spring on his truck. I spoke too soon! Try that with your two year old running around the shop..... Sheesh.

Junkyard

Bumpsteer

Occupation
Mechanical designer
LMAO, been there done that, a fresh out of the shower, ready for bed 3yo granddaughter runs into the shop, pigpen leaves 15 minutes later.

Yup, grandpa made a list.

Ed

Junkyard

Occupation
Field Mechanic
In the 30 minutes or so he was out there with us he ended up looking like he crawled through the firebox of a coal fired locomotive. I don't how he finds the dirtiest stuff he can. Other then he comes by it honest. I hope in another 10 years he still enjoys it. I'd like to teach somebody all the little things I've learned. Hate to think about knowledge passing with each generation.

One funny note, I have a 6 pound Wilton hammer I LOVE. Something about the weight and handle length it's like we were meant for each other. Driving the bushing out last night my buddy watched me swinging away. When I got done he said that was 51 hits, no misses. You're surgical with that thing!

Junkyard

Randy88

He needs a little brother, toss a dog into the equation and things happen at warp speed.

Junkyard

Occupation
Field Mechanic
Gotcha covered there, he's two, brother is six, dog is a little over a year. Five kids in all. Never a dull moment in my house! Oldest starts college next year. Geez I'm not ready for that!

Junkyard

RBMcCloskey

Occupation
Heavy Construction Contractor
In the 30 minutes or so he was out there with us he ended up looking like he crawled through the firebox of a coal fired locomotive. I don't how he finds the dirtiest stuff he can. Other then he comes by it honest. I hope in another 10 years he still enjoys it. I'd like to teach somebody all the little things I've learned. Hate to think about knowledge passing with each generation.

One funny note, I have a 6 pound Wilton hammer I LOVE. Something about the weight and handle length it's like we were meant for each other. Driving the bushing out last night my buddy watched me swinging away. When I got done he said that was 51 hits, no misses. You're surgical with that thing!

Junkyard
What length handle do you have?

Junkyard

Occupation
Field Mechanic
Here's my favorite hammer. If it was as easy to carry as my pliers I'd take it everywhere!

image.jpg

Junkyard

Occupation
Field Mechanic
We've got a fair amount of clearing work coming up. I enjoy logging some before they trash all the good lumber and burn it. I set myself up with an old M1031 military truck that I got from a local fire Dept. It works good for all my saws etc. Anyway, I was piddling last night checking all my supplies and remembered I had my dads old Homelite. A very small saw as he never cut much and was tighter than the bark on the tree he was cutting. So I drug my 660 out and stuck his little saw along side of it. Made me giggle. Of course I had to send him the pic too!

image.jpg

Junkyard