• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Just another day in paradise

Mobiltech

Occupation
Self employed Heavy duty mechanic
There is a good chance they did something like that. I have done a couple rolled on their side insurance repairs. The operator always says they shut it down right away but they will still muck up the rod bearings in a very short time. Usually destroys the crank.

Coaldust

Occupation
Cargo Tanks, ULSD, RUG, Methanol, LPG
Reminds me of a customer with a DD15. Last two oil changes indicated chunks of oil pump suction seals in the oil pan. Hey dude, better fix that. Maybe later, we are too busy.

Hey, Coaldust, why is my oil pressure dropping? Dude, your oil pump is broken. You should do the re-seal thing and maybe put a new pump on it. Maybe later. We are too busy and it seems fine now.

Hey, Coaldust, it was making a funny noise and now there is a hole in the side of the block. Dude, I’m not the kind of person to say I toad ah so, but I fkn ah’ toad a so.

Now, they are pointing fingers at everyone that had ever touched that engine. Once they saw the $60k quote for a swing engine.

Truck Shop

Reminds me of a customer with a DD15. Last two oil changes indicated chunks of oil pump suction seals in the oil pan. Hey dude, better fix that. Maybe later, we are too busy.

Hey, Coaldust, why is my oil pressure dropping? Dude, your oil pump is broken. You should do the re-seal thing and maybe put a new pump on it. Maybe later. We are too busy and it seems fine now.

Hey, Coaldust, it was making a funny noise and now there is a hole in the side of the block. Dude, I’m not the kind of person to say I toad ah so, but I fkn ah’ toad a so.

Now, they are pointing fingers at everyone that had ever touched that engine. Once they saw the $60k quote for a swing engine.
60K is pretty close.
I can tell you--a 3406 will run four blocks before lockup when the drain plug falls out.

Welder Dave

Interestingly a car came out to my oval track today. An IMCA modified and it blew a hole in the oil pan. The methanol fuel mixed with the oil resembles severely water contaminated oil. They're hoping it just got hydraulic locked or a rod went south but the block and a bunch of other components are salvageable. Another IMCA modified was pretty fast. It was about 650 HP but the track was dry and dusty. The track is a little small for these cars but good for test and tune. He ran gas through it at the end of the day because the alcohol dries everything in the engine out too much. I'm guessing he means gaskets and such. It had a nice sound to it.

Coaldust

Occupation
Cargo Tanks, ULSD, RUG, Methanol, LPG
60K is pretty close.
I can tell you--a 3406 will run four blocks before lockup when the drain plug falls out.
Right at the beginning of tourist season with contracts to meet and fuel to deliver. Two months to get a swing engine and who knows how long to get an appointment with someone willing to take on a big job during the busy season. That’s a winter job.

Truck Shop

I’m going back to check numbers on the bearings and inspect the machine for signs of a rollover. The longer I think about it the more it isn’t adding up. 4x4 may be onto something.
Mike I seriously doubt you did anything wrong on the work performed. It was either a oil pump/filter
failure or something of operator error. It took out the entire crank in one swoop. It wouldn't have
run the hours it did otherwise you would have known real quick like.

Truck Shop

Yeah lets get a privet investigator on the trail, gees. Check his shorts for skid marks while
there at it.

mekanik

I was working on a log loader on a logging setting. There were several skidders dragging logs to a landing within view of where I was working. Just before the skidders got to the landing they had to go down a long steep hill with a couple big ruts worn in it from the skidders and logs. As soon as a skidder came over to top of the hill the operator had to keep the throttle wide open to keep the main line tight so the logs did not pass it. The skidders would bounce like crazy with the operator doing his best to keep it under control while bouncing around in the open cab. during the few hours I was there they flopped two skidders on their side.
Having worked on skidders a bit and seeing how the ROPS would get bent on a fairly new machine I thought rollovers were just part of the operators day.

\

Monkeywithawrench

I guess I know that it’s probably not my fault but this is the first one I’ve had fail and it’s eating at me. I’m thinking way too much about the what ifs and how to prevent it the second time.
Hey Mike,

Any chance they did some welding on the machine between the time when you turned the machine over to them and when it 'blew'?? A poorly placed ground will certainly do wonders to an engine.........
Just thinking out loud.
And sorry to hear about your troubles. You need to move to NH.

Mike L

Occupation
Self employed field mechanic
To my knowledge they didn’t weld on this machine but just like everything else that doesn’t add up, I don’t know for sure. One thing I know for sure is that I’ve been in business for 5 years and the year and a half that I’ve been in East Texas has been the toughest. Cold winters in Maine don’t seem so bad…

Mike L

Occupation
Self employed field mechanic
Was at a local dealership I help out occasionally today and was telling them about what happened. They recommended a machine shop in Houston that they use and they were making a run down tomorrow morning so I went and got the block and crank to send it down. No guarantee but I don’t have much to lose. I can get up to 20 over bearings. The machine shows zero sign of being tipped over.