• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Just some work pics

td25c

LOL Knepp ! It was one of those " sleeper jobs " where they had to wake the crane operator up after taking half hour to set a truss & read the directions .:D

Impact

Occupation
Owner
We call the window the carpenter glass. Made to stand up, poke your head through and yell insults at them

crane operator

Yes I did see the Houston auction. Incredibly cheap for all terrains cranes. The bigger rt's and truck cranes weren't as bad, small rt prices weren't pretty either.

2008 115 ton gmk $295,000

2006 115 liebherr $310,000

2002 x 2 170 ton liebherr's $250,000 & 275,000

2006 165 gmk $365,000

2003 & 2002 240ton gmk $320.000 & $340,000

The gmk 240's are usually listed between $600- 800,000

that 2008 gmk should also be 7-800,000

And the 2006 165 should be there in price too.

Some banker is crying this morning, or a investment group (they own some of the big players in the crane game)
They've probably somehow got uncle sam backing the notes, small business improvement loans etc. So rejoice everyone, we all probably lost a couple million yesterday.

Too many large cranes sitting around with the oil slowdown, and no buyers. This year, I could have justified the 170-240 ton crane. I turned down enough work in my regular area for one, that I could have made the payments. Honestly though, I don't have the manpower or the trucks and trailers, or the $ to afford them and the crane.

The 115 ton, and maybe the 165 would be the top end of what I could handle. Nobody had a extra $300,000 laying around for me did they? Maybe a extra thick mattress?

crane operator

Just curious if anyone else saw the 2- 2012 1400a national boom trucks that sold for $54,000. . They were listed as in the free trade zone, for export only. Would these have been built with non epa spec motors is the reason for being unable to re import? Had International carrier's and looked like pretty nice cranes. For that price I think you could have left the trucks in the free trade zone, unmounted the cranes and reimported just the uppers. There's probably a ton of paperwork involved.

I know there's a new 2013 terex t560 floating around terex's plant that's listed as for sale export only. Could they even sell it to someone in the us? I'm not going to get smog checked.

kshansen

Occupation
Retired Mechanic in Stone Quarry
Last edited:

Knepptune

Sent you a pm kshansen

Me and dad were talking about those boom trucks this morning. I didn't realize they were export only trucks.

Good time to buy cranes. Just kind of scary to look at the value of the cranes we have.

catskinner 10

Occupation
Retired Operator/Master Mechanic 55Yr Member IUOE
Few pictures before I retired assisting setting beams for the new I70 river bridge in E. St Louis.
Tom

Attachments

• Parts Dads Shop 019.jpg
    Parts Dads Shop 019.jpg
    41.1 KB · Views: 329
  • Parts Dads Shop 028.jpg
    Parts Dads Shop 028.jpg
    31.7 KB · Views: 332
  • camera pic's 043.jpg
    camera pic's 043.jpg
    39.6 KB · Views: 329
  • Case 600 Dozer 029.jpg
    Case 600 Dozer 029.jpg
    24.8 KB · Views: 329
  • 20141125_144156 Keeley new 100 Ton Mantis.jpg
    20141125_144156 Keeley new 100 Ton Mantis.jpg
    32.8 KB · Views: 332

Knepptune

Was it TD that wanted to mount a loudspeaker on the end of his boom a while back? Seems that would be a nice way to inform them of their transgressions.

Impact

Occupation
Owner
I like the guys that ask you to pick the truss back up and move one end over 2". I tell them I can't. My rotator motor isn't working.

Tradesman

Occupation
Contractor
I have to jump in and defend my people, you have to admit there's tradesmen and there's guys just working at it for a job. I have guys I set trusses for make me look like some kind of wizard, and some that through their lack skill make me look like its my first day on the job. Sometimes I just stop mid cycle and wait for them to get thier sh$t together. But the good ones and by that I mean the real tradesmen that are real students of thier trade are a pleasure to work for and with.
Don't forget God could have chosen anyone to raise his son but he picked a Carpenter :notworthy

lantraxco

I have to jump in and defend my people, you have to admit there's tradesmen and there's guys just working at it for a job. I have guys I set trusses for make me look like some kind of wizard, and some that through their lack skill make me look like its my first day on the job. Sometimes I just stop mid cycle and wait for them to get thier sh$t together. But the good ones and by that I mean the real tradesmen that are real students of thier trade are a pleasure to work for and with.
Don't forget God could have chosen anyone to raise his son but he picked a Carpenter :notworthy

That's just because cranes with air conditioned cabs hadn't been invented yet! GDRVVF! :rolleyes:

crane operator

Aha. Air conditioning for cranes. I posted before, what happens when a pig sweating hillbilly stares at a tractor supply lp generator for too long, then troops off to walmart. I can't tell you guys what a difference this has made. The Lp generators are so nice- no cans of gas to go bad, no guys standing on the deck pouring fuel everywhere, or hauling gas around in the back of pickups. I should have done this a long time ago.

20160816_100839.jpg

I put this setup on 5 cranes this summer. Generators ran between $250-350 (all on clearance-no one wants lp ones?). Window units $115. I had looked at semi APU units (liked the diesel-didn't like the $3,000 cost). Looked at factory type hydraulic drive, they're also big $$$ (one's I've run heat the oil too much). Not a lot of other options.

I no longer dread the 98-100+ days as much. A little cool air on the back of your neck makes a world of difference.

Tank of fuel (20gal) lasts at least 3 days. Those are 3750-4000 watt units. I tried the next size down (3250peak) and when the compressor kicked on it would kill the motor. A/C units are the smallest that wally world sells, manual control. Just leave it on high- open and shut windows and doors to suit.

crane operator

Tugger- love the pile driving. One job I've never done. I did spend some time watching them drive piles with a hydraulic terex rt one time, looked like a disaster waiting to happen.

crane operator

Couple jobs from this week. Quarry work. Said to bring the smallest crane we have. I told the wife I was taking the 35- quarry guys are never right on what stuff weighs. I don't see how they sell rock and load/mix concrete all the time (by weight), but seem to have no concept of what anything else weighs.

Steel stand for screen. Millwright says "only weighs 6,000lbs-calculated the iron myself". I'm thinking, if that stand only weighs 6,000, I'll eat my hardhat, without ketchup.

20160824_085455.jpg

Sure enough stand weighs 11,500

20160824_091841.jpg

Yes, I know I don't need all that rigging and spreader bar- but I will in a little bit.

20160824_101607.jpg

Finding the angle with the stand, helps to set the screen, this is where the spreader bar comes in. I'm to lazy to switch, I just put it on at the start, then didn't have to switch it all after the first lift.

20160824_101616.jpg

Probably could have gotten by with my 8' roundups off the bottom of the bar, but I hate scuffing up nylons on all that steel, and I had the chart so just left my 12' steels on

crane operator

Chopper had a light going off. They decided to haul the chopper to their tools, not their tools to the chopper (was about 1 1/2 hrs away from home) Loaded on my lowboy buddies trailer. 1 1/2 hrs there,set up, 5 minutes to lift, tear down, 1 1/2 hrs back to local airport, set up, 5 minutes unload, tear down. 5 1/2 hrs. total. Weight 4,600lbs.

20160827_081912.jpg

Took the little yellow crane- I hate running it, but it gets down the road a little faster than the white one, and this job was mostly driving

Also had a couple deer greet me that morning at the shop. They looked ready to load up and go with me.

20160827_062938.jpg

Tugger

That was a good job Craneoperator,lots of soft mud to stab the piles in first otherwise we would have looked silly trying to drive 100 footers thru a hole in the float with only 70 ft of boom on the crane.I haven't seen a lot of pile driving with hydraulic cranes we only use a conventional.Wheather was good that day to 95 deg.F and no wind on the water.We aren't used to that here