• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Just some work pics

crane operator

Wait a minute, did I miss something? Where did the link belt RT come from?
I left some things out, it was discussed elsewhere. I had a customer that wanted me to come to Dallas to hang this plane. I hung the first one in his building here in town, this building is more or less identical.

We've been loading up most of the items here, at the local fabrication places, for installation down there. The big tank, and most of the conex's got welded up here, and the climbing towers.

I just took a bunch of rigging in the back of my pickup down there to hang the plane, and used the ironworkers that are hanging the building, and their crane and operator. Which was actually easier than if I had to run the crane too. This way I just got it rigged and flown.

So this plane and building is located on the north side of Dallas. Right next to the big nebraska furniture mart development called "the colony".

crane operator

The trickiest part, is the fuselage is jammed up against one column, and the wingtip won't clear the other. So you bank it up like its making a big turn, once it is 30' up, and slide the left wing over top of a I-beam, once its past the column.

Scissorlift and boom lift access. At least with the hole in the roof, you don't have head height issues as bad, you still can't get into the upper header beams, but it gives you more room.

Last edited:

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Running what I brung and taking what I win
Fighting some old precast beams. Need us to demo the old drive under porch. Remodeling the building.

Last one took more time than the first three combined. It was wedged in by grout overhead. Hammer drill and busting brick and we finally got it out.

After we had the first one off the building and on the trailer, at 18,000lbs, the trucker decided he wanted a crane on the other end to offload them, instead of the "before" plan of dragging them off with a excavator. So we ended up with cranes on both ends- loading and unloading.

View attachment 314965View attachment 314966

To be honest I wouldn't have wanted to drag that off my trailer with an excavator either. However I sense some **** poor planning was involved on the "truckers" part?

crane operator

The "trucker" is a local contractor, has a dirt/demo business, and a roll off dumpster business also.

He's got a big excavator with a thumb, and kind of a trash yard where they burn tree/ yard waste where they were getting offloaded. I measured out the precast, after getting no response from the general contractor on a weight, and came up with around 13,000 for the beams and slab, but that's just concrete, no steel in the slabs. I guessed the slabs would weigh more like 15,000, and they were actually 18,000.

The trucker/ dirt guy asked me what they were going to weigh, and I gave him my rough estimates, but said I wouldn't really know until I got them lifted up. He didn't want to get his lowboy into the jobsite, so brought a big gooseneck behind his f550. We had about 6 or so miles to haul them. I would have brought my semi truck and trailer to haul them, but it wasn't my deal.

It would have been easier if I hadn't had to deal with the 10:00am/ middle of the job- "hey we're going to need a 2nd crane". I kind of thought that might happen, and I had a crane sitting still in my yard.