• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Kenworth w900 no air,something's frozen

coastlogger

It got cold here,minus 10 Celsius,that's cold on the wet coast.anyhow I used my old 1981 Kenworth with 3406 yesterday all fine,not as cold. Today it started out fine then lost all air about 10 mins in. Can get it up to 15 pounds if I rev for awhile and that's it. Gauge seems fine I checked at first tank and there's about that much air there. I'm supposing something on the compressor but I'm a little fuzzy on it all.reg on compressor froze? I tried heating it up with a propane torch did not help so far . Help?

Oxbow

So if you heated the governor we'll assume it is not that. Do you have any air line antifreeze? Also, do you have an air dryer?

If you have air line antifreeze (alcohol) and do not have an air dryer, you can remove the discharge hose from the compressor and add some there. If you do have an air dryer add the air line antifreeze in the discharge from the dryer. You could also put some in each of the gladhands to a trailer. It takes very little to do the job. Once you get some in let her run for a while and see if it clears. If not you'll need to investigate further with the governor and discharges to see what is going on.

Truck Shop

Any airline that has dip/sag in it's routing is where moisture will collect and freeze. If first tank
has a check valve at inlet from compressor it can freeze. And the fact where you live the high
moisture--unless the air system is drained everyday and system service annually it probably
is full of water/oil mix. Best thing do like Oxbow said/then get it inside if that's possible to use
shop air to blow the system out.

cuttin edge

Occupation
Finish grader operator
Your weather would be killer. Out here on the east coast, a truck that has spent time inside a heated shop, and then taken out into the cold, will freeze something. Moisture collects in the lines in the heat, then freezes. Make sure to use an air brake antifreeze, and not straight menthol hydrate. We have a lot of trouble with air ride trailers freezing up, but as mentioned above, a bit of aba in a glad hand helps

coastlogger

Thanks for those valuable tips. It does have an air dryer,installed a few years ago,but I've never done much else to help with freezing. I should have stayed home! Anyhow I figured out it's losing air at the rear relay valve?The valve above rear axle that sends air to both rear wheels. Coming out the bottom of valve it seems. I'm hoping it's a piece of ice stuck in there. Going to try warming valve up in am see if that fixes it. Otherwise I think I can plug that valves supply off and maybe get home on brakes from other axles.

cfherrman

Shut the truck off and put air brake antifreeze straight into the air tank that the compressor goes too, if your still having trouble bypass the dryer and then put it in the air compressor discharge port. You should also check the tanks that have no air in them and put it straight into them. I also use some regular air hose and hook up tanks that are frozen to a tank that has air to get it moving around.

cuttin edge

Occupation
Finish grader operator
So buy one product and cut out the middle man. If MH is all you have on hand, then by all means, but for continued use, I would stick with ABA. If it has the original air compressor, an 81 KW probably lubes the air system in house.

Truck Shop

ABA with ABS + ABSABA =2S2M. Trying to type a totally abbreviated sentence.
ave any of you had problem with ABA and anti-locks? Mine specifically state not to use ABA.
No your not suppose to but people/drivers do it all the time. I hate the crap. Keeping air
system serviced by changing air dryer cartridge is best. About the time main computer
valve takes a dump $$$$ then things change.

Coaldust

Occupation
Cargo Tanks, ULSD, RUG, Methanol, LPG
This discussion made me curious about ABA, so I pulled out some SDS’s. I see many of the brands are ethanol based, an equal amount are methanol based. Most contain a 3-5% sodium sulfanate solution, which is used as a corrosion inhibitor. Then, 1% secret sauce, which I assume is the lubricant they claim.

ABA injection is common in my area. I can’t say if it really harms anything, even though the OEM’s and ABS manufacturers don’t recommend it.