• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Kenworth W900 or T800

mike in idaho

I drove a KW log truck one winter, with the 8 bag setup, didn't care for it. The best ride/traction setup I ever had was a Hendricson extended leaf/walking beam with a spring log trailer behind it. Two of our trucks have Chalmers rear suspension, it's amazing how well they get around in the snow.

powerjoke

Occupation
owner/operator/estimator/mechanic/grunt/ditchdigge
I still haven't figured out what difference there is other than the hood...... I just bought a w9 yesterday so I guess someday I'll see what difference there is over my t8.

Pj

Dualie

I had the Hendrickson primaax on my t-800 even with the 195" WB and 22K front axle it rode better than any 8 bag or Pete air leaf i ever piloted. did great in the soft stuff and was STABLE with a top heavy load.

Dualie

The bumper to back of cab is different also the front axle set back is way different. You can get a set forward and set backward front axle on the T8 where the W-9 comes in short hood and the long hood L model.

B.K.Jackson

Occupation
Business Owner
Personally I would stay away from the C-12 if it has a 9 or 10 spd tranny behind it. It's under-powered in the upper gears if you are hauling heavy or uphill.

PNECAT

Buzzin Dozen thats a nise set up and very clean! Thanks guys for the comments of the trucks and pros and cons of motors,trans. Ive still been looking around taking my time looking for the right price and truck. Im in no hurry to jump into something that i will regret buying later on down the road. I have found a 1994 T-600 with a 425 cat 10spd jake and wet kit with only 175'000 miles second owner operator with a1987 35ton trail king trailer that just needs 2 new tires and a few new boards for $22'000. everything is in good shape and eveything works on the truck. whats everyone think of this truck and trailer set up? thanks

theironoracle

Occupation
OWNER/OPERATOR MOBILE HEAVY EQUIPMENT REPAIR
PNECAT, be sure that truck doesn't have a 3176? engine in it!!! be sure it is a 3406! other than that the trailer is worth more truck , great price for the pair. this truck is built a step lighter than eithier the t-800 or w-900. i think this will could serve you well and used parts are very easy to come by.......................theironoracle

PNECAT

theironoracle, im not sure what motor it has in it but will find out, i figured for the price and the miles and shape of the truck its hard to beat for the price for both. I also am looking into a 1991 borco 35 ton lowboy for 10k and a 1999 t-800 3406 425 cat 13 speed 8 bag air ride, very clean also but it has 850'000 miles on it for 19k, is that too many miles for the price with the truck being said to be an 8 out of a 10 by the seller. question, is it worth spending another 8 to 10k to get the T-800 as it is a bigger truck and could handle bigger loads and may be better off road for excavating, possably logs and some flat bed halls also. Thanks

Last edited:

buckfever

It could have a 3406, mine does. We have a t-600 kw with a 425 hp 3406, 13sp, 8 bag airride with a sliding fifth. As a first lowboy truck for use it works well. Good power just wish the air bags would lift higher. Also being a single fram when you put a heavy load on it the hole truck realy twist.

PNECAT

Do you have any pictures of your set up? That was my only worry was the frame being strong enough to hall some heavy loads. Im sure it will work fine for halling a 315bl and a 28ft gravel end dump etc... Good starter truck

theironoracle

Occupation
buckfever, you can adjust the rod length on the leveler to get more hieght out of those airbags! i always set my dad's trucks by putting a straight edge across the frame rails above the last axle and adjusted the rod until the tires were flush with the top of the frame rails. all his trucks had 11-24.5 tires so if your running shorter ones you can get actually have the frame rails above the tires an inch or so. this is out of spec with the book but never caused driveline, handling or suspension problems. if you don't have enough holes in the diff housing for more adjustment replace the rod with a chunk of 1/4 inch all thread and a clevis end on each end from any hardware store or autoparts store makes adjusting easy.............theironoracle

buckfever

I've heard of adjusting the leverler valve to raise the truck but was scared of doing damage to the bags. Just seeing them strech when you take the load off real quick still aired up just seems not right.

I'll get some pictures tomarrow. then try to master putting them on here.

theironoracle

Occupation
make sure your shocks and bushings are good that is what keeps them from traveling to far....................don't be afraid, you will only blow out bad bags.................theironoracle

FMD

buckfever, you can adjust the rod length on the leveler to get more hieght out of those airbags! i always set my dad's trucks by putting a straight edge across the frame rails above the last axle and adjusted the rod until the tires were flush with the top of the frame rails. all his trucks had 11-24.5 tires so if your running shorter ones you can get actually have the frame rails above the tires an inch or so. this is out of spec with the book but never caused driveline, handling or suspension problems. if you don't have enough holes in the diff housing for more adjustment replace the rod with a chunk of 1/4 inch all thread and a clevis end on each end from any hardware store or autoparts store makes adjusting easy.............theironoracle

I would be careful adjusting the bags outside the manufactuer spec's. Not only can you damage the air bag, but I had seen from the angle of the driveline change enough, that it took out the back cover syncro's of the transmission.

Bag height is found by subtracting the loaded tire radius from the frame to ground height. There are height gauge tools that can be purchased or you can just measure the bag (top to bottom) and adjust the lever rod until the manufactuered recommended height is acheived.

Just my 2cents.

Andrew_D

With the KW 8-bag, you're not going to change the driveline angle any appreciable amount between the 2 diffs. The 2 diffs are going almost straight up and down thanks to the 4-link suspension. The angle that will change slightly is between the front diff and the hanger bearing. Depending on the wheelbase of the truck though, this would be a pretty small amount.

I've owned a few KW's. W900's. T800's. The only major difference is the hood and position of the front axle. I prefer a T800 simply because the sloped hood gives better forward visibility and a wee bit better fuel economy. The set-back front axle means that you can get the same overall length of truck (bumper->bumper) with a shorter wheelbase, thus shorter turning radius. All have had the 8-bag suspension. Current W900 actually has seperate left and right leveling systems - seperate leveling valves, seperate gauges, etc.

Andrew

FMD

With the KW 8-bag, you're not going to change the driveline angle any appreciable amount between the 2 diffs. The 2 diffs are going almost straight up and down thanks to the 4-link suspension. The angle that will change slightly is between the front diff and the hanger bearing. Depending on the wheelbase of the truck though, this would be a pretty small amount.

I've owned a few KW's. W900's. T800's. The only major difference is the hood and position of the front axle. I prefer a T800 simply because the sloped hood gives better forward visibility and a wee bit better fuel economy. The set-back front axle means that you can get the same overall length of truck (bumper->bumper) with a shorter wheelbase, thus shorter turning radius. All have had the 8-bag suspension. Current W900 actually has seperate left and right leveling systems - seperate leveling valves, seperate gauges, etc.

Andrew

I agree with the AG400 8 bag on not changing the driveline angle,but you can blow the bag by over inflating them. However on the AG380 (4 bag) it will change the driveline angle. The AG380 rides a lot better than the 8 bag in my opinion. The AG380's are a less stiffer ride. The old AG 200 were bad about beating you to "death".