• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Komatsu D57S-1 Head gasket seep

James Sorochan

Occupation
x-water & sewer construction Now farmer.
Just noticed it yesterday. I was hoping to sell the machine but now will have to hold off. The head gasket is almost $700.00 up here in Alberta. I recently rebuilt the water pump, new combustion chamber rings and copper washers, resealed lift cylinders. As many here know it's impossible to start with out either until summer which means it could possibly need new piston rings. Not sure what to do. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Coaldust

Occupation
Cargo Tanks, ULSD, RUG, Methanol, LPG
If it otherwise, runs and sounds good, maybe you will get lucky and a head gasket will
cure it. Keep us posted.

James Sorochan

Occupation
More pics. I’m seeing some scuffs on the sleeves. Not sure if these are critical. This is out of my field of experience everyone. What ever advice you can give will be appreciated. I can take more pics also. Thanks.

Attachments

• IMG_6905.jpeg
    IMG_6905.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 37
  • IMG_6906.jpeg
    IMG_6906.jpeg
    3.3 MB · Views: 37
  • IMG_6907.jpeg
    IMG_6907.jpeg
    3 MB · Views: 38
  • IMG_6908.jpeg
    IMG_6908.jpeg
    2.9 MB · Views: 37

tctractors

Love the cracked pistons, that's going to cause you some $$$pend out to sort correctly unless you just drop a new gasket on, the engine has the Lanchester type balance shafts in if you go the big route, K.M.P. parts are well worth hunting out as they cost nothing like the mind blowing price that Komatsu think they are worth, in the U.K. we have a Company that is totally focused on the Komatsu Iron called Kedgeworth that would easily sort your problems at low cost, on an old D50S I used the same head joint 3 times as they were a crazy price, the D57S could be found with a 4 cylinder engine or a 6 cylinder engine, the 1 engine was faultless and ran like a Swiss Watch also highly prized, the other engine was a fair pig and cracked pistons, cracked heads, also loved to smash out the side to show off, you might have a guess on the engine??? on a serious note if you need any help with anything I have done a few of these motors so don't be thinking I am unhelpful.

Coaldust

Occupation
Oh’ boy. By chance, does the old girl have an ether habit? Does She like to hit the starting fluid on a cold morning?

Coaldust

Occupation
That explains the piston damage. Probably has bent connecting rods, too.

James Sorochan

Occupation
Update. Pulled the front end with the radiator included yesterday. Got the engine manual from one of our members ( zigzag ) and started reading it. I need to get an engine stand.

Attachments

• IMG_6933.jpeg
    IMG_6933.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 16
  • IMG_6934.jpeg
    IMG_6934.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 16
  • IMG_6929.jpeg
    IMG_6929.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 17

tctractors

I would like to say at this point things start to turn to crap, the pistons get those splits in them from over heat and I have removed piston rings off these engines and been able to straighten them out by hand in to a length of steel, you will do this with no other engine that I know of, the O.E. parts are set at a price that will bring a gasp out of a dead man and you cannot really tackle this engine in a half baked way, they are not very popular in the D57S the 6 cylinder motor 57's are so much better, with new cylinder packs they will start like a car, make a big fuss of the oil coolers and radiator, check the balance shaft bearings as they run x 2 crank speed, also check all the inlet manifold and pipe work for cracks and plugs missing.

James Sorochan

Occupation
Thanks tctractors for the advice. I pulled the rad a couple summers ago and externally cleaned it really well. The temp just gets into the green so that's good. I checked some pricing on KMP brand that comes out of your country and also has a location in Houston , Texas. They seem reasonable. The Komatsu dealer here in Alberta is very very very expensive for sure.