• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Komat'su PC60-7 --Just Purchased Used--Some Questions

John C.

Occupation
Machinery & Equipment Appraiser
The item in the bottom of the tank is supposed to be a brass strainer. It is on the suction side of the pump and there should never be a filter there. Did you watch the video? It shows removing that from the tank.

Bluox

The item in the bottom of the tank is supposed to be a brass strainer. It is on the suction side of the pump and there should never be a filter there. Did you watch the video? It shows removing that from the tank.
I've never seen any thing but a screen on a shovel hyd. tank if you have not actually pulled that to look at it do so.
when you do park the tank over the space between the tracks. I will bet the bottom of your tank is full of sludge.
So you might as well drain the tank.
If that screen gets plugged you pump will howl till it comes apart.
Bob

Mark A Weiss

At the 7:00 point he pulls a strainer out of that filler side. Mine has a paper filter cartridge there. I wonder why the former owner did that? He'd been running the machine like that all the time he'd owned it, as he admitted never touching the hydraulic system during his ownership period.

Now if Komatsu would find the time to respond to my inquiry so I can order these elements.

Remaining concern is why the left travel lever lacks fine control. It goes from zero to full instantly--no fine control--which makes moving and turning the machine a jerky affair. It wasn't like that a week ago.

Bluox

At the 7:00 point he pulls a strainer out of that filler side. Mine has a paper filter cartridge there. I wonder why the former owner did that? He'd been running the machine like that all the time he'd owned it, as he admitted never touching the hydraulic system during his ownership period.

Now if Komatsu would find the time to respond to my inquiry so I can order these elements.

Remaining concern is why the left travel lever lacks fine control. It goes from zero to full instantly--no fine control--which makes moving and turning the machine a jerky affair. It wasn't like that a week ago.
Have you pulled yours out yet? how about a picture?
Bob

Tags

https://www.komatsustores.com/newington.htm

Call them with your serîal number, get the correct parts, stop guessing and buying cheap stuff that may or may not be correct for your machine. Buy a parts book from them, this will stop the guess work. None of this will be cheap, but it will certainly be cheaper than hydraulic pumps, motors, valves, and you will know for sure you've gotten the machine back to center and it has the correct parts instead of the "cheap eBay parts" the previous guy used...I would also do the same for the engine.....

Mark A Weiss

Suction screen...in tank bottom
201-60-65210
View attachment 241117
That's exactly what mine looks like. It doesn't look like a 'screen' but this paper pleated filter. I guess I do have the correct part in there. But the box and part number will make my search a LOT easier. Thanks for posting that photo.

Thanks for these parts lists. For some reason I can't find them in the service manual or the owner's manual. This is helpful too.

The track controls were on my mind all day today, so when the rain finally stopped, I put on my boots and went out to the excavator and started it up. Swung 90° and lifted the left track. Gradually applied stick first forward then backward. I found I could start at a creeping slow rate and accelerate as I pushed stick forward. Same for reverse. Lowered the track back down and did the same on the other side. Same thing. Perfect ramping up from a stop to full speed in both directions. Now I am wondering if I had been imagining this issue with it going to full speed, or if the problem just cleared up on it's own.

The hydraulics are quiet, like they were before I changed out the lines, so all seems to be running normally. Left to do is to flush out that old fluid and change strainer and filter. I do intend to drain the tank and try to get any sludge that might be on the bottom out of there. Recommendations for cleaning the sludge, ie, solvents or other cleaning aids to remove sludge would be appreciated.

The bucket pins are a bit sloppy in the lateral axis. Do I need new pins, or is there something in need of adjustment to reduce lateral play? Aside from that, the machine seems to work great now.

Global Parts has it for $199 + $30 shipping.. does that sound excessive for this part?
https://globalpartszone.com/komatsu/2016065210-1.html

Last edited:

Mark A Weiss

I took out the strainer today and cleaned it. It actually IS a metal mesh, so fine, I could not differentiate it from a pleated paper filter due to the film coating on it. Once I cleaned it though, I could see through the mesh. Looks like this part can be cleaned and reused.

After that, I got out the new grease gun and greased all of the fittings. Even the swing bearings, front and rear.

It's clear to me that I need to find a thicker tubing for the sight glass. It leaks pretty badly when the machine is working. Seems like I need tubing that's 1/2" OD, but 5/16" ID, not 3/8" ID like the tubing Home Depot sells. Apparently HD does have 5/16" ID tubing, just not in the store--you have to order it online.

Making progress though. As soon as I find the right tubing, I'll flush the system and replace all the fluid.

Last edited:

skyking1

IMO you are at a crossroads. Bite the bullet and get another rubber track, or, make the change to real rails and track pads. On a machine of that size I would like real rails myself.

Bluox

But honey it was a really good deal. You need to keep repeating this till she A. gets tired of beating you or B. shows pity and tells you where she's going on vacation.
Good luck
Bob